R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: new wump anyone??  (Read 11049 times)

Phillip Graham

Re: new wump anyone??
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2007, 10:08:48 AM »

masterhse wrote on Tue, 30 October 2007 19:38

Phillip Graham wrote on Tue, 30 October 2007 19:06

I would be interested in doing one from the student mixes, but I would not want to have to sort through 20.  Perhaps we would pick out of the best of five mixes?

Ok, but rather than best 5 how about the five with the most common problems encountered in mastering mixes from less experienced engineers?

Sorry Tom,

This is exactly what I meant to convey.  Not the "best" 5 mixes, but rather what you thought were the most appropriate five mixes, be it for a specific problem, etc.

Quote:

In my opinion that would include things like lack of depth or width (or too much), unbalanced frequencies overall, instruments or vocals that are unbalanced in relation to each other either in volume or relative EQ, distortion, noise, overcompression, phase problems, sibilance/plosives, digititus (in cheaper recordings) and to use a crayon or not. Other issues that anyone would like to add?

That sounds like a pretty good list.  Hopefully you can find a good "theme" of 4-6 mixes, and then we can pick one from that theme to work on.
Phillip Graham

masterhse

« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2007, 08:44:07 PM »

Gentlemen,

I received the mixes this week and will be sorting through them to find 5 good candidates assuming there is enough interest. In the meantime I've posted two versions of the song extracted from the CD release (one mp3 and the other 44/16 zipped).

Please see: http://www.masteringhouse.com/WASH/

Hopefully this gives everyone a good idea of what the client wants in the final master. Let me know your thoughts and if you would like me to continue.

All the best!
Tom
Tom Volpicelli
The Mastering House Inc.
CD Mastering and Media Production Services

masterhse

« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2007, 11:35:33 PM »

Interesting anecdote. About 10 minutes after posting the above a silent alarm went off at the bank located next to my studio. I was handcuffed and held at gunpoint under suspicion of attempting to rob the bank. After providing proof that I was indeed the legitimate proprietor of the studio and had no knowledge about the alarm (as well as having no interest in gaining access to the bank) I was let go and gave the police a tour of the studio facilities.

They thought the diffusion panels looked cool.

- Tom (Rock and Roll outlaw)
Tom Volpicelli
The Mastering House Inc.

ATOR

« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2007, 04:44:29 AM »

masterhse wrote on Sat, 03 November 2007 04:35

Interesting anecdote. About 10 minutes after posting the above a silent alarm went off at the bank located next to my studio. I was handcuffed and held at gunpoint under suspicion of attempting to rob the bank. After providing proof that I was indeed the legitimate proprietor of the studio and had no knowledge about the alarm (as well as having no interest in gaining access to the bank) I was let go and gave the police a tour of the studio facilities.

They thought the diffusion panels looked cool.

- Tom (Rock and Roll outlaw)

Good thinking to use diffusor panels to cover up the hole in the wall you drilled to their safe Very Happy

Are the files you posted above mastered versions? If so could you please remove them. This could easily turn the wump into a copying game.

Tom I leave it up to you to pick the most challenging mix.
Pieter Vincenten - ATORmastering

masterhse

« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2007, 11:13:12 AM »

ATOR wrote on Sat, 03 November 2007 04:44

Good thinking to use diffusor panels to cover up the hole in the wall you drilled to their safe Very Happy

{shhhh}

ATOR wrote on Sat, 03 November 2007 04:44

Are the files you posted above mastered versions? If so could you please remove them. This could easily turn the wump into a copying game.

Yes they are the mastered versions. The reason I posted them other than for folks to hear the song was because someone asked for a reference. Given the client most likely won't be able to give too much in the way of feedback here, I thought that this would serve as a "sonic goal" of sorts. The students had access to this track when mixing as well, but were told that they didn't need to copy what was there and could remix to their liking.

For a WUMP I can understand why a final master would be detrimental. For WASH I'm not sure it matters. The objective is to find techniques for correcting a problem. I would imagine that the submissions may not even be complete and final masters in themselves, but examples of a particular technique for solving a problem and only part of the entire solution for the mix?

Anyone else feel that it's not a good idea to post the master before the submissions? If so, I'll put them safely away in the bank's safe.

Tom Volpicelli
The Mastering House Inc.

KAyo

« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2007, 12:08:37 PM »

Downloaded the mp3...
Listened, and I think, it's a nice job -overall! Could be the go..

Or do we have some clips lying around in need of some serious restoration buisness... Twisted Evil

In any case.. me keen!!

Ciao,
KAyo

http://www.Kantabiz.com
Business Video Directory

ATOR

« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2007, 01:54:34 PM »

I don't get where we are going with this.

Tom

the objective of WASH is to find a problem area for us to work on and discuss, not necessarily just master a track again.

If it's sibilant we de-ess, if it's narrow we increase the width, if the freq balance is uneven we eq, if the dynamics need work we compress. What's there to discuss?

Good mastering is a whole of little adjustments. For me the technical approach is uninteresting. I haven't read the tech notes since the original wimp. For me we could drop the exchange of techniques altogether. The settings don't mean anything unless you have the exact same tools. And even then, what good are settings if you can't hear how to make it sound like that yourself.

What I like about the wump is hearing different versions of the sonic truth. This helps me to question and find my own truth and makes me work harder to achieve it.

So I'd like us to 'just master' the track, the most challenging mix Tom has and make it sound as good as we can.

Sorry if I come off a little straightforward, I've just been watching The Sopranos Smug

masterhse

« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2007, 03:52:12 PM »

M'kay, though if it's sibilant do you always de-ess? What about feeding back a bandwidth limited version of the track with reverse polarity to reduce high end? I'd like to hear some out of the box solutions people are doing. Though I agree it can get tedious listening to each iteration.

I'm convinced, let's go with a final complete master rather than stages ...
Tom Volpicelli
The Mastering House Inc.

ATOR

« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2007, 04:36:02 PM »

masterhse wrote on Sat, 03 November 2007 20:52

M'kay, though if it's sibilant do you always de-ess? What about feeding back a bandwidth limited version of the track with reverse polarity to reduce high end? I'd like to hear some out of the box solutions people are doing. Though I agree it can get tedious listening to each iteration.

I'm convinced, let's go with a final complete master rather than stages ...

I just don't think you can judge methods and tools by how good or bad somebody else is using them. I do think wumps show you how good your tools and methods work for you and more important how good you work your tools.

aivoryuk

« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2007, 12:20:08 PM »

Sounds like a great track Tom

so when we going with this??

masterhse

« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2007, 01:35:03 PM »

aivoryuk wrote on Sun, 04 November 2007 12:20

Sounds like a great track Tom

so when we going with this??

I need a few days to sort through them all (as well as doing regular work). I am hoping to have the "chosen ones" ready mid-week.

Thanks,
T
Tom Volpicelli
The Mastering House Inc.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 22 queries.