R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: new wump anyone??  (Read 11050 times)

OTR-jkl

Re: new wump anyone??
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2007, 03:21:17 PM »

I'll play again this time if schedule allows. I think we should use a mix from Tom's class. I know I'd be thrilled to have my mix mastered by a "pro"; to see how it holds up. I also think that we should NOT be the ones to pick which mix we use - doesn't work that way in the real world.

I agree with whoever said earlier that we need some feedback from one the seasoned pros out there. Input from someone in a higher echelon would be a huge help to me...
J Lowes ยท OTR Mastering
Professional Audio Production for Life
www.ShoutLife.com/OTRMastering

masterhse

« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2007, 04:20:38 PM »

The mixes are the same song and they are using the same set of recorded tracks. They do have the option of not using all of them, so some may have a more "acoustic" feel. I guess the best thing would be to have the artist pick the version, but my concern was that he would pick the best sounding. I think the objective of WASH is to find a problem area for us to work on and discuss, not necessarily just master a track again. The client isn't realy technical enough to do this. In other words, if we all agreed that a particular mix sounds sibilant, narrow, unbalanced in some way, or some other particular problem, that would be the one to go for?

Thoughts?
Tom Volpicelli
The Mastering House Inc.
CD Mastering and Media Production Services

escape

« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2007, 08:27:13 AM »

masterhse wrote on Mon, 29 October 2007 16:20

I think the objective of WASH is to find a problem area for us to work on and discuss, not necessarily just master a track again. The client isn't realy technical enough to do this. In other words, if we all agreed that a particular mix sounds sibilant, narrow, unbalanced in some way, or some other particular problem, that would be the one to go for?

Thoughts?

This is exactly how I envisioned it when you first brought it up, so I'm with it all the way.

Focus on a specific problem in a mix, and swap techniques on dealing with the issue. Then we can hear what worked best for the situation. At the same time, we're each advancing our arsenal for the next occasion that we encounter something similar in our own practice. Better sounding masters all around.

We might even learn something. If nothing else, it feels like a step in the right direction. None of us is as smart as all of us.

We must become the new breed that freely shares information. The days of guarded trade "secrets" are quickly coming to their inevitable end.

The previous incarnations of WUMP had us divided and lacking direction. So, again, I'm all for this. It's a definite progression.

ERIC JENSON
MASTERING ENGINEER
ACOUSTICS ENGINEER(ALMOST)

E-Scapes Mastering Services
Miami, FL

Patrik T

« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2007, 03:35:31 PM »

escape wrote on Tue, 30 October 2007 13:27

The days of guarded trade "secrets" are quickly coming to their inevitable end.

It's more a matter of some silly old myth implying there are some exclusive secrets around.

How secret is is to HEAR?

Patrik

cass anawaty

« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2007, 03:59:39 PM »

Patrik T wrote on Tue, 30 October 2007 19:35

escape wrote on Tue, 30 October 2007 13:27

The days of guarded trade "secrets" are quickly coming to their inevitable end.

It's more a matter of some silly old myth implying there are some exclusive secrets around.

Patrik

Yes, but what helps my hearing is a pouch of 11 herbs and spices that are buried under the porch of my studio.

Which herbs and spices is the key--and the secret!  Cool
Cass Anawaty, Chief Engineer
Sunbreak Music, LLC
High Resolution Stereo Mastering
www.sunbreakmusic.com

masterhse

« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2007, 05:21:54 PM »

Well there are some not only in mastering but also mixing that have some very esoteric pieces of gear, or modifications to gear, that they prefer not letting most know about. As far as general techniques though I tend to doubt that there is too much in the way of black magic.
Tom Volpicelli
The Mastering House Inc.

escape

« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2007, 05:42:11 PM »

Patrik T wrote on Tue, 30 October 2007 15:35

Patrik

Exactly what I mean.

I indicated my sarcasm with the "'s. Hope that clears it up for you.

ERIC JENSON
MASTERING ENGINEER

Miami, FL

Patrik T

« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2007, 06:28:40 PM »

escape wrote on Tue, 30 October 2007 22:42

I indicated my sarcasm with the "'s. Hope that clears it up for you.

Naturally it does! And it did! Ol' chap!

"Spectra-foo".

Best Regards
Patrik

Phillip Graham

« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2007, 07:06:32 PM »

masterhse wrote on Sun, 28 October 2007 12:59

Anyone still up for working with any of the mixes from my class? I told the students about this and they seemed excited about it. If not, maybe another time ...

WIMP came out of one of those mixes a few years ago.

I have not tried, or even listened to, a WUMP since TotalSonic's string piece.

I would be interested in doing one from the student mixes, but I would not want to have to sort through 20.  Perhaps we would pick out of the best of five mixes?
Phillip Graham

masterhse

« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2007, 07:38:51 PM »

Phillip Graham wrote on Tue, 30 October 2007 19:06

I would be interested in doing one from the student mixes, but I would not want to have to sort through 20.  Perhaps we would pick out of the best of five mixes?

Ok, but rather than best 5 how about the five with the most common problems encountered in mastering mixes from less experienced engineers?

In my opinion that would include things like lack of depth or width (or too much), unbalanced frequencies overall, instruments or vocals that are unbalanced in relation to each other either in volume or relative EQ, distortion, noise, overcompression, phase problems, sibilance/plosives, digititus (in cheaper recordings) and to use a crayon or not. Other issues that anyone would like to add?
Tom Volpicelli
The Mastering House Inc.

escape

« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2007, 11:20:24 PM »

masterhse wrote on Tue, 30 October 2007 19:38

In my opinion that would include things like lack of depth or width (or too much), unbalanced frequencies overall, instruments or vocals that are unbalanced in relation to each other either in volume or relative EQ, distortion, noise, overcompression, phase problems, sibilance/plosives, digititus (in cheaper recordings) and to use a crayon or not. Other issues that anyone would like to add?

I can't think of anything right away that isn't at least closely  related to what you've already categorized. Well done.

The major thing for me right now is sibilance.

Hyper-compression comes in a close second.

From my experience, digititus and distortion often stem from hyper-compression (done with plugins, sometimes EQ plugs too), or from equipment and wiring/routing. As a category they come in third for me.

Overall, I agree with the suggested method of picking mixes that each have a well-defined problem for us to focus on. It's exactly what I had in mind when I said we need to break the process down.
ERIC JENSON
MASTERING ENGINEER

Miami, FL

KAyo

« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2007, 06:39:18 AM »

From the conversations here, I get the feeling, the class mixes are a go, for many here..

Or ... are we still awaiting a decision?! on what is to be used.... Rolling Eyes

_ _ _
KAyo
http://www.Kantabiz.com
Business Video Directory

aivoryuk

« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2007, 09:11:19 AM »

Cass Anawaty wrote on Tue, 30 October 2007 19:59

Yes, but what helps my hearing is a pouch of 11 herbs and spices that are buried under the porch of my studio.

Which herbs and spices is the key--and the secret!  Cool

Sounds like a advert for KFC  Laughing

but seriously I don't mind what kind of mix we do, over sibilant or whatever.

gbacklin

« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2007, 02:39:20 PM »

aivoryuk wrote on Wed, 31 October 2007 08:11

...but seriously I don't mind what kind of mix we do, over sibilant or whatever.

nor do I.

Gene

djwaudio

« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2007, 07:08:27 PM »

I'm interested in participating in the WUMP. I have a raft of new gear that I'm getting to know, so it would be great to hear some objective critique. I'm all for the student mixes. Let's just grab one randomly and give it a go.
Respectfully submitted,
Dana

Dana J. White
specializedmastering.com

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 20 queries.