R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: new wump anyone??  (Read 11057 times)

aivoryuk

new wump anyone??
« on: October 20, 2007, 08:53:02 AM »

Anybody fancy doing a new WUMP???

gbacklin

Re: new wump anyone??
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 11:04:03 AM »

I'm up for it.

Viitalahde

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 11:06:57 AM »

We haven't even finished the last one yet.

I'm tired of WUMP's, they never seem to go anywhere or get closed. Still waiting for the client's comments.
Jaakko Viitalähde
Virtalähde Mastering, Kuhmoinen/Finland
http://www.virtalahde.com
   http://www.facebook.com/pages/Helsinki-Finland/Virtalahde-Ma stering/278311633180

cass anawaty

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 12:30:25 PM »

Viitalahde wrote on Sat, 20 October 2007 16:06

I'm tired of WUMP's, they never seem to go anywhere or get closed. Still waiting for the client's comments.

I have to agree.  I think we were about 5 critiques short from the last one, and I was also waiting for client's comments.

It's a great idea, but only if those who want to play actually do.   Smile
Cass Anawaty, Chief Engineer
Sunbreak Music, LLC
High Resolution Stereo Mastering
www.sunbreakmusic.com

aivoryuk

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2007, 01:39:00 PM »

Viitalahde wrote on Sat, 20 October 2007 16:06

oh yeah i do agree, its been a lil disapointing not having the clients comments.

but where exactly do ou want future WUMP'S to go???

Catalin Truta

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2007, 02:34:07 PM »

Yes, it's a bit unusual what happened with the last one, as we haven't received feedback from the person who provided the mix.

I am in for a new one though it's a very busy period and a less than great internet connection for me in order to listen to all the subscriptions...

escape

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2007, 03:14:10 PM »

Wump is like the blind leading the blind unless we get someone with great references and that can be considered an industry standard to participate.

Otherwise, there isn't much learning happening.

If it's only a contest, then it's kind of pointless to me.

It would be great to have one of the big-timers that hang out here to take 15 minutes and show us how they would have done it proper. It would be much more illustrative.

Don't get me wrong, I think in general we do a pretty decent job, but how are we going to know if it couldn't have been done better unless someone who's a real master at this gives it a shot.

I think wump needs to be fixed in many ways, most importantly we need a mentor.
This subjective judging of each other through uncoordinated monitoring environments doesn't help either.

It would be much more clear and to the point if we could just HEAR what a "real" pro could have done with a given mix, even if it's just a one minute sample. That way it might be easier to gauge everything because there will be somewhat of a definitive touchstone that hasn't been abstracted so much by our very own words.

People can spend 5 pages describing what something sounded like or what it should sound like, but if we could just press play it would be illuminated in 5 seconds, not a word need be spoken thereafter, except in the relaying of facts and actual comparisons..
ERIC JENSON
MASTERING ENGINEER
ACOUSTICS ENGINEER(ALMOST)

E-Scapes Mastering Services
Miami, FL

masterhse

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2007, 02:19:03 PM »

I don't know that it qualifies as a "WUMP" but I would find it interesting to have a mix with a specific issue, then see and hear different techniques for solving the problem rather than an all out master of a track. Kind of like a consortium of audio doctors, or "WASH" (Web-based Audio Surgical Hospital).
Tom Volpicelli
The Mastering House Inc.
CD Mastering and Media Production Services

escape

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2007, 06:24:51 PM »

masterhse wrote on Sun, 21 October 2007 14:19

I don't know that it qualifies as a "WUMP" but I would find it interesting to have a mix with a specific issue, then see and hear different techniques for solving the problem rather than an all out master of a track. Kind of like a consortium of audio doctors, or "WASH" (Web-based Audio Surgical Hospital).

I like that idea.

It focuses on one issue at a time. Easier to manage, much more refining. Our studies would be augmented in a more helpful way.

We need to break it down.

It's too easy to take things out of context when we're generalizing about such a high set of variables like we've been doing. But if we simplify and focus the strategy on one or two key elements, a more detailed analysis is possible without the pronounced likelihood of miscommunication and prevalent turbulence that so often attends our considerations.

I like this idea a lot.
Let's break it down..
ERIC JENSON
MASTERING ENGINEER

Miami, FL

masterhse

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2007, 07:21:17 PM »

FWIW in about 2-3 weeks I'm going to have 20 (yes 20) different mixes of the same song as a midterm assignment from the students in my audio prod class. These along with the orignal mix and master that was released before this. Some of the tracks may be re-recorded from the release as I gave the students full control on how they wanted to produce it as well. If interested, it may be a good candidate for this experiment.

Maybe even Alan Alda will make an appearance for W*A*S*H.
Tom Volpicelli
The Mastering House Inc.
CD Mastering and Media Production Services

escape

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2007, 12:40:13 AM »

masterhse wrote on Sun, 21 October 2007 19:21

FWIW in about 2-3 weeks I'm going to have 20 (yes 20) different mixes of the same song as a midterm assignment from the students in my audio prod class. These along with the orignal mix and master that was released before this. Some of the tracks may be re-recorded from the release as I gave the students full control on how they wanted to produce it as well. If interested, it may be a good candidate for this experiment.

Maybe even Alan Alda will make an appearance for W*A*S*H.

LMAO!

I'm all for it.
ERIC JENSON
MASTERING ENGINEER

Miami, FL

present

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2007, 01:54:12 AM »

That is a really cool idea.

Count me in!

KAyo

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2007, 12:46:57 PM »

Count me In..

What about restoration !!
Restore + Master :

With so many new plugs for restoration now out there.. It could, sort off.. end up being like a test ..

We may end up hearing some great results!

Ciao'
KAyo

http://www.Kantabiz.com
Business Video Directory

cass anawaty

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2007, 03:32:47 PM »

I'm not going to play, but I just finished a restoration on a classical project that was a transfer from vinyl, and in mono.  Talk about a challenge.  

I could probably clear a few minutes (have to check first) for the WUMP if folks were interested, but I can tell you up front--if you don't have a restoration suite of some sort, you don't want to get into this one.  Laughing

I just restored--the budget didn't allow a re-master--but there was definitely room for some work.

Let me know,
Cass
Cass Anawaty, Chief Engineer
Sunbreak Music, LLC
High Resolution Stereo Mastering
www.sunbreakmusic.com

aivoryuk

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2007, 03:47:33 PM »

Cass Anawaty wrote on Tue, 23 October 2007 20:32

I'm not going to play,

thats a shame Cass, I felt i learnt a lot from you on the last one.

Nothings been decided as yet although I don't mind what we do. I enjoy all the Wumps
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 20 queries.