R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chandler, API, Neve, Mic pre help  (Read 5783 times)

RockHardBottom

Chandler, API, Neve, Mic pre help
« on: May 02, 2004, 10:50:56 PM »

First let me say, This forum rocks. Ross the Ziggy marley album is awsome.

I have a question regarding what pre to get. I was able to pick up an avalon ad 2022, and vt 737. I am currently using those along with pres on my mackie board through an apogee rosetta 800 into cubase sx via aes lynx card. Ive got some money to spend on pres, and was wondering what pres to get. I am mostly doing  rock\punk recordings, but get work in other genres. I am looking for pres to replace my mackies for drum\ guitar recording. The combination of the avalons have been great on acoustic instruments, bass and vocals. Which out of the api , neve and chandlers be the most versatile for my uses. Also what instruments would you recommend each pre for.

I know that it is a decision my ears will make, but I figured why not get advice from those who are more experienced and familiar with these pres.

Ross Hogarth

Re: Chandler, API, Neve, Mic pre help
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2004, 12:00:08 AM »

Thanks ! Once again I am proud to respond positively on a compliment. You know sometimes you do something and when someone says that it's cool, since the experience sucked it is hard to garner the acknowledgment, but on Ziggy's, it was so cool I wish they all could be that cool ...

On the mic pre question, I kind of answered it in another part of this forum under the acoustic guitar question a few questions down the line.
If you look there at my answer and then maybe come back and slightly modify or re ask your question, I would be happy to add and make a more focused answer to you directly....
peace out  for a moment

Ross

The practice of forgiveness is our most important contribution to the healing of the world.

The standard of success in life isn't the things. It isn't the money or the stuff. It is absolutely the amount of joy that you feel.

www.hoaxproductions.com

RockHardBottom

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2004, 02:49:17 PM »

I know that choosing mic pres is very subjective, but I guess I was wondering which pre is the most versatile. I guess the best all around of the bunch. If you were going to record a rock band, and you could only bring a rack of chandlers, a rack of apis, or a rack of neves, not knowing the room or the instruments, which would you opt for and why?

Fibes

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2004, 03:36:00 PM »

Are y'all neighboors?

I'm an API guy, I love my Neve/Neveish stuff too but the way API handles the transients really can help out drums. I suppose if i wanted to tame the APIs a bit that would be possible with a Distressor or Fatso. OTOH Neveish stuff can add just the right amount of rounding to the transients that makes everything fat.

Currently my go to setup is API on the close mics, Aurora GTQ2 on OHs, and a softer and quiet type of pre on the room mics.

It's good to have variety especially during the mix process when things with similar imprints can start stepping on one another.
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

Ross Hogarth

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2004, 02:16:42 AM »

HEY Woodland Hills !!
Without knowing your budget I will take a wack here.
I happen to be very fond lately of the Chandler TG2. I have always been a big fan of API pre's because of their aggressiveness. I like the TG2 because in some ways they remind me of the good characteristic's of both the API and Neve.
API's are aggressive and Neve's are fat and smooth. I am in total agreement with Kevin and with my own belief that you have to have a pallet of many colors to make a colorful painting. If I was left on a desert island I would probably choose an API ..... but then I am not so I use them all ....on different things at different times .... Look at your budget and see if you can afford a TG2 and an API lunch box with some pre's and some eq's ...... In the same conversation, Chandler's Neve/like LTD module is not fully like a Neve and has some of the aggressiveness of an API too. You may want to demo one and see.

The practice of forgiveness is our most important contribution to the healing of the world.

The standard of success in life isn't the things. It isn't the money or the stuff. It is absolutely the amount of joy that you feel.

www.hoaxproductions.com

RockHardBottom

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2004, 03:06:17 AM »

Thanks guys, exactly what I needed. Where in Woodlandhills do you live? I'll have to invite you over for a bbq, so we can drink some beers and shoot the shit.

Dan

Zoesch

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2004, 08:59:22 AM »

Here's my unsolicited opinion...

API for kick/snare/toms
Chandler for Vocals, Overheads and in some cases guitars
AMEK/Neve for guitars

That's my order of preference for them (Incidentally, I have all three/four kinds, to me they are inseparable)
It has always been Ringo's fault
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.