R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Andy Simpson's New Microphone  (Read 31438 times)

Andy Simpson

Andy Simpson's New Microphone
« on: October 19, 2007, 05:07:39 AM »

I will be presenting the result of many years work at the 'Hi-End Gear' Conference (Cologne, Germany) next week.
In fact, I will present a new class of microphone.

My emphasis will be on full scale orchestral works and I would be happy to meet & discuss my work with any members of the forum who might be in the area at the time.

Best regards,

Andy

Markus Aalto

Re: Announcement: New Microphone
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 05:27:29 AM »

Sounds interesting...

Anything more specific informastion available? I checked the website too but there wasn't any technical information or pictures.

compasspnt

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 09:38:21 AM »

Andy,

Sorry not to have hooked up to beta test the mics, as we had planned.  I hated to say I could, and cause money to be spent, when my schedule has been so crazy busy.

Hopefully soon; will be in touch.

Good luck with the new (really special looking) microphone!

Terry

Andy Simpson

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 03:45:56 PM »

Markus Aalto wrote on Fri, 19 October 2007 11:27

Sounds interesting...

Anything more specific informastion available? I checked the website too but there wasn't any technical information or pictures.

Just a few days left of 'blind' listening and then details.

Andy

Schallfeldnebel

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 09:23:13 AM »

What kind of microphone? On the website it tells me only it does do anything better than a ribbon mike, is it a ribbon mike?

Erik Sikkema

Bill Mueller:"Only very recently, has the availability of cheap consumer based gear popularized the concept of a rank amateur as an audio engineer. Unfortunately, this has also degraded the reputation of the audio engineer to the lowest level in its history. A sad thing indeed for those of us professionals."

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 06:10:01 PM »

I have to second and amplify what Eric just said:

I gladly make the forum available for you to announce your supposedly new microphone inventions.

But other manufacturers (and everybody who takes the Ground Rules of the forum seriously) will cry foul if you abuse that position, give sensational but vague hints and countdowns to the day of revelation, but don't enlighten the readers with useful technical and design details about your microphone.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks
www.GermanMasterworks.com

Andy Simpson

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 04:03:50 AM »

I thought that people might be interested to listen before they find out what kind of technology the mic is.

In my initial post I did say that I will present the microphones in Germany shortly, it is not long to wait.

Other than that, I will say that the microphone is not ribbon, nor any other current class of microphone.

I assure you I will disclose the design details completely after the conference and will be most happy to discuss in detail the ideas & implementation.

Andy

J.J. Blair

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 05:46:42 PM »

I've been asking you for a couple months what the technology is, and you've been rather cheeky about it.  It's been a little on the annoying side.  At this point, I've lost interest.  

With all this intrigue, it better be something earth shattering and groundbreaking.  I mean, it's a microphone, not a method to run your car engine on dirt, or even the iPhone.  The amount of suspense has to be more equal life changing impact a product has.  

I honestly don't think that knowing the mechanics is going to affect how we listen to the thing.  

BTW, the recordings, as I said before, are very nice.  It would be helpful if you did coincidental recordings with a mic with which we are all familiar.  Use a KM83/84 or a U87 or something we all know.  For all we know, certain qualities we hear coule be attributable to the room or the instruments.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Andy Simpson

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 05:10:05 AM »

JJ, I'm sorry if I've come across as cheeky. I have been very secretive by necessity -  I needed a reasonable amount of 'blind' opinion before publication of methods.

Yes, it would be better if I had the resources & time to make comparison to some well known mics.

In any case, if the recordings sound good then some ground has been broken.

Best regards,

Andy

Schallfeldnebel

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 07:41:20 AM »

It very seldomly happens a complete new microphone technology is invented. Ten years ago it was the Dutch company Microflown using the priciple of the air flow meter, to design a new microphone technology, but for audio purposes it is less usefull, and very expensive.

Erik Sikkema
Bill Mueller:"Only very recently, has the availability of cheap consumer based gear popularized the concept of a rank amateur as an audio engineer. Unfortunately, this has also degraded the reputation of the audio engineer to the lowest level in its history. A sad thing indeed for those of us professionals."

Martin Kantola

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2007, 03:15:42 PM »

Bumping this thread because there are now pictures on the website:

http://www.simpsonmicrophones.com/

Martin

J.J. Blair

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2007, 06:31:35 PM »

OK.  Well, they definitely look like nothing I've seen before.  My question is, are they a dynamic moving coil in there?  What methodology is converting the acoustic sound into an electrical current?  
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Barry Hufker

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2007, 12:55:59 AM »

It's my understanding Andy is in Germany introducing the microphones at a trade show.  It's also my understanding he is not near email.

Barry

ratite

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2007, 02:48:42 AM »

They look cool.How large are they?Why not shape the funnel like an ear?I wish Andy the best of luck!
Richard Horner
Unaffiliated knob twiddler.

"Nietzsche played the piano endlessly in his eleven years of madness.Once,at least,with his elbows."

Tomas Danko

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2007, 09:24:33 AM »

I remember putting microphones into funnel shaped objects similar to what's pictured on the site.

I also remember how awful it usually sounded, unless you really wanted to emphasize those certain frequencies. Perhaps something more porous would only emphasize a little bit with a great end result.

I'm curious about this thing. So much bigger than a microphone it even looks like a megaphone.
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.