R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ampex AG440-8 vs Studer A80 8 tracks  (Read 6626 times)

woodlands

Ampex AG440-8 vs Studer A80 8 tracks
« on: October 17, 2007, 10:39:16 PM »

Hi. Needing some info on the differences between these two machines. The thread is on this forum :http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/19871/0/.

Thanks muchly!

Fletcher

Re: Ampex AG440-8 vs Studer A80 8 tracks
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 08:01:58 AM »

I frankly have no idea where to get parts for either machine... the AG-440 was one of the absolute best sounding machines Ampex ever put out... I think even better than the ATR-124 in many regards.  As for the Studer... it kinda depends on what "mark" deck it is... I always thought the MK-I decks sounded best... the MK-II not quite as good as that was the first incarnation to use a head coupling transformer... and that transformer ran out of head room in a hurry.  The MK-III had a transformerless input but still had the headcoupling transformer on the repro head... the MK-IV had a tranformerless audio path but still had the headcoupling transformer.

You can get the headcoupling transformer out of the audio path if you install A-800 heads on the machine... if the deck you're talking about is a 1" 8-track I'm pretty sure I know where you can pick up a set of A-800 heads... but that again is going to be a capital investment into something I have no idea what the spare parts supply is like.

On the bright side I do believe they sold more A-80's than any other machine... which probably means that it will be possible [though a pain in the arse] to find parts for another decade or two.

I hope this is of some assistance.

Peace.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

thedoc

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 10:40:30 PM »

I would say that 440's are easy to repair if you can get parts.  Not complicated like ATR's,
Doc

Matt Allen

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 09:47:32 PM »

After a very good talk about tape machines at AES, the 440 8 track was at that transport's limits when it was setup for 1" 8 track. I have no experience with it, but John French, Mike Spitz,  and John Klett all agreed. I'd have to trust that statement.
Matt "Buster" Allen
www.allen-sound.com

gevermil

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 09:41:05 AM »

Im curious about the Heads . Didnt ampex use different heads for the 1200 ?
Than say the older 440s
as tape formulas progressed different heads could print hotter ?

minkthinking

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 10:34:34 PM »

I have a Studer A 80 1/2" 4 track from the 70s for sale for parts if you're interested.  Needs work, but a good parts machine if you go the A 80 route.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 16 queries.