R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What's your chain?  (Read 13224 times)

jfrigo

Re: What's your chain?
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2004, 03:47:45 AM »

I'll be lame and just say there's a gear list on my website (promastering.com). Things get added or removed as necessary; it's not one set chain. Sometimes it's analog, sometimes digital, often a combination of both. There is, however, a "most common" path which includes the NSEQ2, Pendulum, Weiss, and L2. Some other things that get thrown in with some regularity are the t.c. sys 6000, A&M EQ (Davelizer), and not quite as often but still with at least some regularly, the HEDD and the Sintefex. Some other optional outboard and ancillary gear can be found at the site if anybody is still curious.

lowland

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2004, 05:21:09 AM »

Hi All,

I don't at the moment have an analogue tape machine, all files start and end in SADiE, so...

SADiE5 PCM8->Sintefex FX2000 ->Crane Song HEDD->dbx Quantum->Waves L2 (hardware)-> SADiE (edits/assembly and pow-R or TPDF dither)->Benchmark DAC-1->PMC AML1 active loudspeakers and Beyer DT990 headphones.

Clocking via Drawmer M-Clock, AES black to the SADiE, wordclock to the Sintefex and dbx (the HEDD picks up its clock from the AES audio). All comments on this welcome, by the way - it works fine, but is it too 'belt and braces'?

Gear notes

Sintefex FX2000: usually for compression, but I like some of the sampled EQs such as the Decca and Maselec, and sometimes run them alongside compressor gain curves only. The FX's digital EQ is usually in the side chain, but occasionally gets used pre-comp. to roll off extreme bass-heaviness in advance of other processing - I've also found the HPFs in the Sonalkisis plug-in EQ to be good for this task.

HEDD: I love this box, and use a little Pentode and Tape more often than not. When I eventually have analogue source and/or outboard I'm planning to use its ADC to get into digits.

Quantum: as some of you know, I'm a big fan of this, and use it for EQ (normal and MS) multiband compression, levelling and clipping, plus sometimes MS stereo balance and the 'ambience' function. I like the EQ in particular, and the whole package to me has an appealing 'Swiss army knife' aspect. I expect various of the Quantum's functions will be replaced in the fullness of time (Weiss, perhaps?) but I plan to hang on to it for a while yet.

L2: this is a new weapon in my arsenal and I'm still getting into it, but it seems to damage dense audio less than my SADiE limiter. At the moment I record non-L2 processing into SADiE and then perform a separate limit pass, but when I get brave enough I'll put the L2 on the end of the chain and record the proceeds in one go.

And finally, I've just bought an Alesis Masterlink - what a neat little box of tricks! The first thing I've done has been to dump a bunch of reference CD tracks into it so I can conveniently play them back through the DAC-1 via SPDIF for comparison with work in progress on the SADiE. The main reason for getting the Masterlink was to do analogue transfers at clients' studios via the HEDD's ADC, providing me with a file I can either play out or import into SADiE as an AIFF on a CD24 disk - up to this point I've had to take the SADiE to studios, something I'd rather avoid for obvious reasons. There seems no lack of HD space in the Alesis - when new it was showing capacity for (I think) 52 hours of 16/44.1 audio, so I imagine the drives are larger than they once were.
Nigel Palmer
Lowland Masters
Essex, UK
www.lowlandmasters.com

davidc

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2004, 06:19:38 AM »

Innominandum wrote on Thu, 06 May 2004 05:17

davidc wrote on Wed, 05 May 2004 10:35

Alon Phalanx/Poseidon speakers (modified)

Sorry to take this thread off-topic. Are you happy with these?

Yes, absolutely! They are the one thing in the studio, I cannot see being changed in a long time.

They are not as sexy as the B&W Nautilus range, but I personally have not heard a better speaker. I particularly like the doped paper SEAS midrange units, which are very communicative. All the drivers use alnico magnets, so they have lower distortion and can be listened to all day without fatigue. I also like the combination of open baffle and dynamic drivers, which gives the openness and transparency of an electrostatic with the dynamics of a cone speaker. Finally they use first order filter slopes, which I find more musical.

I modified them by changing all internal wire with Teflon coated solid core silver (18 AWG), making them single wired with common earth, and fine tuning the crossovers.

The Poseidon Subs are not in use at the moment, as I am trying to find a way of integrating them without compromising the sound of the main units.

Best Regards

David C

davidc

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2004, 06:23:45 AM »

dcollins wrote on Thu, 06 May 2004 06:54

Quote:

B-rad axed:
Come on, share your toys!

Analogue source is ATR-100 transport with modded repro electronics and Flux Magnetics head -> Davelizer EQ -> MSEQ-2 (modified) -> 6386 Compressor (mostly stock) -> Custom 96k A/D -> tc 6000 -> HEDD 96 -> L2 -> Lavry 3000s to get back to 44k1 and Bob's your uncle; its "in the box."

Digital source uses the HEDD d/a which I quite like.  Seems a lttle "full" in the bass which isn't a bad thing for the most part.

Monitor dac is Lavry Blue, to custom monitor panel, blah, blah blah....

DC

Dave,

You have omitted your monitoring chain.

Please share  Smile

Best Regards

Gold

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2004, 11:26:46 AM »

Studer A80MkII/TelefunkenM10A-Neumann MT66 console-Neumann VMS62 Special.

What year is it? Oh yeah, 2004

A80-Maselec MEA2-Maselec MLA-2-Quad Eight 312s EQ-Lynx2 A/D-Waves stuff- CD or lacquer-Dahlquist Prelude speakers-Aragon Palladium Amps-fuzzy orange walls-ears
Paul Gold
www.saltmastering.com

On the silk road, looking for uranium.

lucey

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2004, 02:41:00 AM »

sources:
file -> Zq-1 (cuts only) -> DAC1  
or
file -> Zq-1 (cuts only) -> DAC1 -> ATR 102 (900, 911, GP9) ->
or
ATR 102 ->

processing:
STC8 -> IBIS -> Model One 24/44.1 -> Waves L2 -> HEDD192 -> Samplitude (fades/edits/micro levels) -> HDCD 24 to 16

monitoring: Model One/DAC1 -> Adam S3As

file back up: Masterlink
other ideas:  Miniman 12s - waiting list
previously used: Manley Vari-Mu, Millenia NSEQ, Oram EQ, Trakkers, B+W 603s, dynAudio BM6As
demoed and passed on: Pendulum Mu, API2500, Drawmer1969, C1, GML eq
Brian Lucey
Magic Garden Mastering

"the economy is a wholly owned subsidiary of the ecology" - unknown
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.