R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Optic compressors...to slow...not really  (Read 2288 times)

Glenn Bucci

Optic compressors...to slow...not really
« on: October 16, 2007, 11:03:44 PM »

I had several interesting conversations from the brains behind many high end company's at the AES show. I mentioned to many of them how many on the fourms feel that optic compressors such as the Avalon 737 or Manley Voxbox felt are too slow. The response I got from some was 4 miliseconds is plenty fast for most things besides drums.

A generalization from a couple of them felt...Why do many feel they have to grab the top transients in the first place? If they did some experiments, they would find letting some transients go allows more dynamics on the tracks and can help them sound better and more natural. The Baby face mod for the 737... not really needed though perhaps for certain applications Baby face himself needed a faster attack and that's fine.

I was told people should work more with the input and output controls to get the sound your looking for and not on the attack speed. I like many have thought you want to grap the top transients to control the peaks. But I was told if you leave enough head room, you don't have to worry about controlling the peaks, but just to allow the compressor to control the dynamics to a certain point while still letting the music or tracks breathe. I listened to some tracks done with the Avalon 2044 compressor and worked with different settings and started to understand more of what many of the folks told me to be correct. (I appreciate the 2044 a little more now) Now you may not care for the character of certain compressors..that's fine, but the theory behind what I was told was some food for thought.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 22 queries.