R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: what would you do for pre's in the 2 grand price range?  (Read 11673 times)

Jim Dugger

Re: what would you do for pre's in the 2 grand price range?
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2004, 10:51:58 AM »

dirkb wrote on Wed, 05 May 2004 08:31

Chandler TG2 Cool ...
Meaty, saturated, coloured, great highs, perfect for dirt

I auditioned the TG2 along with the Pendulum and the GR.  It was the one I didn't take home.

There's something pretty interesting going on in the upper end of this preamp.  It brings *everything* forward.  I'll bet you could distant mic some crickets with an omni directional and it would come screaming out of the monitors like a guitar solo.

I can see it as a winner for rock and roll, but it was too much for me.

sadworld

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2004, 05:06:44 PM »

after reading more reviews and listening to you guys, i wonder how much different the great river sounds than my x73i since they are both modeled off the neve 1073?

and since i'm new with the outboard pre thing, i think i just figured out something just by reading the text... all this talk about overdriving the units into color or personality you're just talking about cranking the  input up while the output comes down, is that correct?

if so i still haven't found the personality in my x73 cause i did what the manufacturer said... and that's to crank the output and attenuate with the input.

sdelsolray

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2004, 12:13:49 AM »

sadworld wrote on Wed, 05 May 2004 22:06

after reading more reviews and listening to you guys, i wonder how much different the great river sounds than my x73i since they are both modeled off the neve 1073?

and since i'm new with the outboard pre thing, i think i just figured out something just by reading the text... all this talk about overdriving the units into color or personality you're just talking about cranking the  input up while the output comes down, is that correct?

if so i still haven't found the personality in my x73 cause i did what the manufacturer said... and that's to crank the output and attenuate with the input.

On the Pendulum MDP-1 the "output" control if after the tube amp stages.  It merely attenuates of signal, changing its impedence.  Other designs have the "output" control just before a final amp stage.

Fletcher

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2004, 06:55:21 AM »

sadworld wrote on Wed, 05 May 2004 17:06

Well... if you're ready for a seriously biased opinion... here comes one.  The X-73i is modeled directly after a Neve 1073... except the components aren't laid out as they were in an original 1073, and the output transformer has way too much distortion at 40Hz [it makes a difference throughout the entire frequency spectrum]... the Great River MP-2NV [and ME-1NV] started with a drawing of a Neve 1073 pre section... and ended being a "Neve-a-like" after using the basic drawing.

We changed all kinds of parts to lower the noise and increase the clarity.  We drove Sowter transformers nuts for like a year getting transformers [with Great River's own number that you can't buy from Sowter unless you're Great River]that minimized the phase shift throughout the audio spectrum... while allowing the thunder of an original 1073 without the "haze" that can develop when you use a 1073 over many tracks within the musical composition.

We brought the impedance switch out to the front, we allow you to vary the gain scaling as there is and input and an output control... there is an insert point [which is where the EQ lives in an original 1073 circuit... except the insert point on the MP-2NV is actually on the back of the unit]... there is also the option to run the input and output transformers properly loaded, or unloaded for a 3db rise at 54 kHz [which makes a noticable difference... especially with "airy" signal content... like female vocals].

The X-73i and the Great River are two pretty different beasts that share the same grandfather... it ain't too difficult a stretch to guess which one I prefer.

Peace.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

sadworld

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2004, 05:45:47 PM »

can anyone comment on how different an animal the dual 72 is from the x73i?  i want contrast and if theres not much, i would look at something else besides the 1272, but i've heard from more than one source that the 1272 sound really BIG. like good for rock, big.  

also, not much mention of telefunken or groove tube in this thread... is there a reason for that? thanks.

btw, i'm selling all my live crap and beefing up my studio bigtime... i'm a junkie!  shhhh.

sadworld

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2004, 08:38:47 PM »

some things i've read recently prompt me to ask this question... what is the input impedance switch on pres for?  for example , my x73i is switchable between 1.2 and 300. the manufacturer basically said i will never have to use the 300 setting. what is that for and what will it do for me if anything... thanks, matt.

CA

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2004, 10:22:34 AM »

sadworld wrote on Sat, 08 May 2004 01:38

the manufacturer basically said i will never have to use the 300 setting. what is that for and what will it do for me if anything... thanks, matt.

Pretty strange for a manufacturer to spend money on a feature that you will basically never use.
Chris
Drop the puck!

Nathan Eldred

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2004, 11:07:03 PM »

sadworld wrote on Fri, 07 May 2004 20:38

some things i've read recently prompt me to ask this question... what is the input impedance switch on pres for?  for example , my x73i is switchable between 1.2 and 300. the manufacturer basically said i will never have to use the 300 setting. what is that for and what will it do for me if anything... thanks, matt.

Maybe you misunderstood about never having to use the 300 ohm mode? It wouldn't make sense for them to go to the trouble to offer it.  I love running a lot of sources in 300 ohms.  In general I find there is a fatter more low end dominant tone, and a more pleasing distortion (in particular on certain condensers).   On 1200 ohms (in general) on the X73i, I find that it sounds flatter with more top "air" frequencies.  It usually requires more gain in that setting as well.  So, it's there for you to find the right tone, according to your own subjective preference, that will complement the production accordingly.  
Nathan Eldred

The Store:

AtlasProAudio.com

The Studio:

AtlasRecording.com

sadworld

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2004, 11:24:12 PM »

for those who recomend the pendulum... what do you think of them on drums?  or do you not recomend them on drums?

twilightoftheidols

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2004, 06:33:00 PM »

I'm in the process of adding a few items to my home studio, and I'm in the market for a two channel mic pre.  For pre's I've currently got a Summit/Neve Element 78 MPE-200 (stereo), and two SSL XLogic Channels.  For this next purchase, I was considering the Universal Audio 2-610, the Chandler TG2, the Tube Tech MP 1A, and the Avalon AD2022.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Which of these models do you feel will best complement my current collection?  

Thanks!
Brendan E.

amwintx

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2004, 11:30:04 AM »

I find it interesting that no one has mention API preamps in response to the original quest for 'rockin' drums'. For 2 grand you could definitely get a lunchbox and a couple of 500 series preamps with room for expansion.

LanceSexington

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2004, 03:29:24 PM »

How about 20 channels of the deluxe ART tube MP. Smile

Lance S.
Factory Shill.
Acoustic Research & Technology
Wayne
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 21 queries.