R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: what would you do for pre's in the 2 grand price range?  (Read 11679 times)

sadworld

what would you do for pre's in the 2 grand price range?
« on: May 02, 2004, 12:35:49 PM »

i'd like a tube this time to compliment my vintech x73i that i recently picked up... i'm looking for lots of color, i want everything bigger coming out than when it went in. recording mostly rock. like to get the drums a rockin... then i can pick and choose from those mic pres on the drums which ones i want to use on guitars, bass etc. thanks. can it be done in the 2g price range for tube stuff?

sdelsolray

Re: what would you do for pre's in the 2 grand price range?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2004, 12:44:16 PM »

I'm assuming you're wanting a dual channel piece.

Pendulum
Manley
A Designs
Sebatron
Universal Audio
Summit Audio

Jim Dugger

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2004, 12:51:36 PM »

Oh, I have just got to recommend the Pendulum MDP-1a.  I just got one for myself.  It is incredibly open, opulent and rich.  Very big, very creamy.  I was blown away.  It would be a nice complement to the Vintech -- I felt like it was a completely different color.

I have also heard, though never used, that the DW Fearn is an unbelieveably big sounding unit.  $2k will only get you a single channel, though.

Dingo

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2004, 06:01:20 PM »

If you want color, the Avalon 737sp can be had for around $2k. Only 1 channel tho', but has a DI, EQ and compressor as well - IOW, a full channel strip. The EQ is fabulous. And very versatile, as you can choose how much toob you want.

Dingo
"This has to be the only industry in the world that has spent the last decade trying to effectively simulate all of the tools that it was told it needed to throw out." - bunnerabb

http://www.backtoback.cd/TIB3.jpg

sadworld

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2004, 10:18:05 PM »

after reading what you said, and reading the reviews i think i'm gonna have to get one of those pendulum's.... sounds just like what i need! thanks. that avalon sounds sweet too but i'd like a couple channels anyways.... what do you think it sounds sweet on... do you record rock music?

sadworld

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2004, 10:19:08 PM »

no external power supply is needed is there? $$$

Jim Dugger

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2004, 11:07:45 PM »

The Pendulum has a proper power supply built in.  All you need is a standard power cord.

The Pendulum is quite colored, but not like you probably think of a pre being colored.  It's not 1073 sounding at all.  It does not have that "mid range" thing going -- it does not make tracks more forword or more dense.

Think lush, opulent, open, musical, creamy, big, huge -- this probably isn't the pre you would want to use on every or even most of the tracks in a song, it's just so amazing sounding you want it to help spotlight.  It's such a different sound from the 'neve' sound.  This is not to say anything bad about the 1073 sound -- just the Pendulum is a totally different character.

I just bought the thing having listened to it with an R84 ribbon attached, so my experience is pretty virgin.  That said, I think it would be a natural first choice for crooner vocals, clean tone guitar, bass, acoustic guitar, a softer drum overhead sound (if crispy/punchy wasn't what you wanted), and so forth.

As for recording rock and roll, or hell, running the 2-bus through something to glue it together, the Pendulum has a very nice attuenator on the output.  Gain goes up, auttenate rolls the output back, color gets richer.  I deliberately overdrove the inputs with an SM57 and was quite impressed with the slow onset and creamy nature of the distortion on the Pendulum.

I bought both the Pendulum and the Great River NV2 that day.  I was just knocked down by both.  Just killer pieces.

--Jim

seawell

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2004, 03:01:22 AM »

Jim,
Could you compare and contrast the Great River and Pendulum?  I'm a Great River owner and am thinking about picking up the Pendulum.  Thanks.

sadworld

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2004, 06:33:52 AM »

well the first thing i would do if i picked one up is throw it on the snare... that's what i want to be big (and of course all the drumms so the other channel would probably go to the toms)  good idea in your opinion or no?  i mean, this unit won't sound crazy along side my x73 will it? i need it to compliment it, you know? thanks a bunch.... matt.

Jim Dugger

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2004, 08:06:47 AM »

seawell wrote on Tue, 04 May 2004 02:01

Could you compare and contrast the Great River and Pendulum?  

I'll ask Fletcher to chime in here, too, because my experience with both units as not very deep yet.

First of all, I think it's very important to stress these units sound *nothing* alike.  If fact, I was actually a bit surprised standing there side-by-side trying them out at just how different they did sound.  It's not a subtle difference -- in both tone and character these pres are completely different.

The Pendulum has a 'hi-fi' feel.  Opulent, open, euphonic, bigger than life.  Creamy and rich in a clean way is still the best way I can describe it.

The Great River NV2 knocked me out -- dense, very forward midrange, but not in a bad way, in a 'this is going to sound sweet when it cuts through a mix' sort of way.  It's a
slow, rough" sound.  On my first listen I just knew this was my new guitar cab mic pre.  And, with a sizzly tube mic it would be fantastic on rock vocals.  TO me, all the Neve type pre's (Vintech, too) have a density in the midrange that is just the Neve sound... Well, the GR has it in spades.

I couldn't decide between the two, so I ended up buying both.  Again, completely different sounds/colors, and they would lead to completely different end products.

Jim Dugger

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2004, 08:08:26 AM »

sadworld wrote on Tue, 04 May 2004 05:33

well the first thing i would do if i picked one up is throw it on the snare...

Certainly worth a try.

I might use 'em on overheads, though.  Most of my snare sound comes from there, not the snare mic.

sdelsolray

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2004, 11:09:24 AM »

Jim Dugger wrote on Tue, 04 May 2004 04:07

The Pendulum has a proper power supply built in.  All you need is a standard power cord.

The Pendulum is quite colored, but not like you probably think of a pre being colored.  It's not 1073 sounding at all.  It does not have that "mid range" thing going -- it does not make tracks more forword or more dense.

Think lush, opulent, open, musical, creamy, big, huge -- this probably isn't the pre you would want to use on every or even most of the tracks in a song, it's just so amazing sounding you want it to help spotlight.  It's such a different sound from the 'neve' sound.  This is not to say anything bad about the 1073 sound -- just the Pendulum is a totally different character.

I just bought the thing having listened to it with an R84 ribbon attached, so my experience is pretty virgin.  That said, I think it would be a natural first choice for crooner vocals, clean tone guitar, bass, acoustic guitar, a softer drum overhead sound (if crispy/punchy wasn't what you wanted), and so forth.

As for recording rock and roll, or hell, running the 2-bus through something to glue it together, the Pendulum has a very nice attuenator on the output.  Gain goes up, auttenate rolls the output back, color gets richer.  I deliberately overdrove the inputs with an SM57 and was quite impressed with the slow onset and creamy nature of the distortion on the Pendulum.

I bought both the Pendulum and the Great River NV2 that day.  I was just knocked down by both.  Just killer pieces.

--Jim

Agree with all that's said except I don't believe the Pendulum MDP-1A is "colored" per se.  Of course, as mentioned, you can overdrive it into color.  At lower gain settings, it is quite open, rather neutral and euphonic.  Depends on mics too.  I use mine with Schoeps CMC6/MK4.

David R.

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2004, 02:34:03 PM »

This is funny, I'm looking to pick up 1 or 2 X73i units to compliment my Pendulum.  

You got your tube in my Neve!  No, you got your Neve in my tube.  Hmmmmm, sounds great!

From what I have found, the MDP-1 does not color too much when using normal gain, but, when pushed, the character really comes out. I'm not so good at describing the character, I'll leave that to the brochures, but I like the way it sounds.
-David R.

sdelsolray

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2004, 05:41:02 PM »

David R. wrote on Tue, 04 May 2004 19:34

From what I have found, the MDP-1 does not color too much when using normal gain, but, when pushed, the character really comes out. I'm not so good at describing the character, I'll leave that to the brochures, but I like the way it sounds.

Agreed.  That Pendulum has 35dB of headroom.  Takes a bit to push it to the line.

dirkb

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2004, 09:31:03 AM »

Chandler TG2 Cool ...
Meaty, saturated, coloured, great highs, perfect for dirt guitar, kick, snare, rock vocals.

Higly recommended!

Greetings,
Dirk
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 20 queries.