R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Headphones your all using  (Read 51557 times)

Timmahh

Headphones your all using
« on: May 01, 2004, 11:50:17 PM »

Hi all, I'm interested in what everyone is using for headphones while recording. not just at the desk, but what do you have the performers using, drummers, singers, guts, bass, keys, horns ect....
Timmahh
I had to do it cuz I'm Just like that!!!!!
Timmahh!!!

oudplayer

Re: Headphones your all using
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2004, 01:26:31 AM »

Sennheiser 280s all around... if you shop around, can find them for $69.
"BTW. You don't REALLY believe digital sounds like "SOURCE".... do you?

Because that would make you a insuperable paragon of nincompoopery." -Slipperman

Rautio

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2004, 05:03:07 AM »

Audio-Technica ATH-M40Fs for zee artiste, while I stick to Beyerdynamic DT250. I would buy a bunch of Sennheiser HD25
Sami Rautio
"Humans are not proud of their ancestors, and rarely invite them round to dinner."
-Douglas Adams

http://www.myshameful.com

hargerst

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2004, 10:24:27 AM »

I got tired of headphones blowing out, or being stepped on by musicians during tracking, so I started selling some I found that do the job for cheap (like $20 each).  They're called MoreMe Headphones, and they're cheap and easily replaced.

See: http://moreme.info for more details.  

So far, there's about a 1,000+ pair out there with very few complaints.

No, they're not as good as the Sennheisers, AKGs, or the big Sonys, but they're good enough for tracking, and they're loud and rugged, with pretty decent isolation.

For critical listening, I use a pair of open backed R/S Nova 67s, or the Grado R80s.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

j.hall

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2004, 03:31:32 PM »

i use whatever the studio i booked has for tracking

i see sony's more then anything....

harvey, what do you think of your grados?

i really want to get a pair and have heard that the SR80's are great but for a little more money you can get better bass response with the 225's

what are you thoughts?

hargerst

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2004, 05:23:24 PM »

j.hall wrote on Sun, 02 May 2004 14:31

i use whatever the studio i booked has for tracking

i see sony's more then anything....

harvey, what do you think of your grados?

i really want to get a pair and have heard that the SR80's are great but for a little more money you can get better bass response with the 225's

what are you thoughts?
The Sony's are pretty much the standard for tracking, but I think they're pretty hyped in the top end - at least for my tastes.

The Grados are wonderful, but unusable for serious decision making - they literally make everything sound great.

Innominandum

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2004, 08:32:04 PM »

hargerst wrote on Sun, 02 May 2004 15:23

The Grados are wonderful, but unusable for serious decision making - they literally make everything sound great.

Have you heard the RS1's? I'm seriously looking to getting a pair of those but I'm not interested if they have that problem.

hargerst

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2004, 01:42:02 AM »

Dylan Bowker wrote on Sun, 02 May 2004 19:32

hargerst wrote on Sun, 02 May 2004 15:23

Have you heard the RS1's? I'm seriously looking to getting a pair of those but I'm not interested if they have that problem.

They may work great for you; to me, they just made everything sound so good, I couldn't use them for serious evaluations.

j.hall

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2004, 10:00:00 AM »

hmmmmmmm

what are you using for mix phones?

hargerst

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2004, 10:45:48 AM »

j.hall wrote on Mon, 03 May 2004 09:00

hmmmmmmm

what are you using for mix phones?

For the most part, I don't use mix phones.  For a mix that "seems" to translate fairly well (for me), I like the open backed Radio Shack Optimus Nova 67, made by Koss.  They're comfortable, and I don't hear any hype in any of the frequency bands.  

They really have an "unglamorous" sound, very neutral.

I know, I know - they're cheap, not very prestigious, and they have a dinky cord, but they work well for me.

For tracking, the $20 MoreMe's have worked out great and saved me hundreds of dollars in broken phones over the last year. (I currently have about 5 broken Sony 7506's, 8 broken Koss Rock and Roll Hall of Fame phones, and 5 broken Grado SR-60's and SR-80's.)

Jan Folkson

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2004, 05:06:58 PM »

I've got the Grado RS1s and they're great, but as Harvey has pointed out they kinda make everything sound great.  George was quoted as saying "you can hear the grass grow in them".   I do use them sometimes for another perspective on balances but never for eqing or anything like that.

They're great just to listen to music on and once you've really gotten to know them they can be helpful in mixing.

YMMV.
- Jan Folkson
http://www.janfolkson.com

Noiseless pickups?  What's the point?

Fibes

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2004, 05:46:29 PM »

I'm using some crappy 25 dollar Koss' for tracking right now. All my good phones have shit the bed so I took the approach of buying cheap ones for a change and only breaking out the good stuff for when it matters. I'll be damned if the crappy ones aren't better for the bands, haven't broken in the 2 years I've had them and simply sound better than the AKGs and Sony stuff when pushed to tracking levels.

I look forward to trying the More Me phones but my Koss' are still in business.
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

Tone Laborer

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2004, 11:21:31 AM »

Sony 7506, damn nice $100 phones...
Ed Ferguson
Austin,Tx

jakabo

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2004, 09:15:51 PM »

I had a chance to listen to Harvey's phones a while back (Lord you around?)
One thing they seemed to have was a little better iso than most cheap phones. I'll definitely get 2 or 3 pairs next time we need some. If they were available when we bought our last round we probably would have gotten them.

I'm going with the "tracking phones are a disposable commodity" idea. We give people a choice, $20 behringer's or $20 AKG's. These seem perfectly usable given the price range and the behringers seem to be relatively comfortable for longer periods of use. Also there was a review in the last TapeOp about some cheap Sennheisers.

We have the 7506 and Senn 525 (the 525 is open) for reference. Oh, nobody who has been offered has chosen the sony's over the cheapies for tracking fwiw. I prefer the sennheiser to the sony for listening.

I do want to try etymotic or the new shure ear buds under shooting muffs if I can ever scrounge the cash. For myself when I'm tracking and I figure on the days I'm miking/engineering alone it would be easier/quicker to wear this get up and move a mic while the clients are playing than the move, playback, move, playback, routine. Anyone tried this?

Ken

Timmahh

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2004, 03:38:28 PM »

Well it sounds like spending the mulah for the quality phones for tracking is a bit overkill.  Looks like i ll be giving harvey an order for some of the MoreMe Studios, as we ( the guys i work with) prefer a bit more bass response.  and at 30 bux each, as he said, it wont break the piggy bank,  i like the 25 foot extensions as well.  one can never get far enough away from the headphone amp....lol. Kool, very good replys and information peeps!!!! THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
here s to GOOD RECORDING and NO HEADACHES.
Timmahh
I had to do it cuz I'm Just like that!!!!!
Timmahh!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 21 queries.