R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Headphones your all using  (Read 51540 times)

hargerst

Re: Headphones your all using
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2004, 04:41:19 PM »

The other nice thing about the MoreMe's is that you can try them for 30 days or so to see if you really like them. If you don't like 'em, return them for a full refund.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

testtone

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2004, 11:34:04 AM »

I've been using Sony 7506's which seem to be the "standard mid-price" headphones around - the drummers i work with typically want to use the "iso phones" or whatever they're called which look like the kind of ear muff's you'd use when using a chain saw or going to a nascar race. The drummers like them cause you can crank the click into them with minimal bleed into the mics. I've always liked the sound of the grado's but find them uncomfortable to wear. Just my $.02

hargerst

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2004, 12:01:00 PM »

testtone wrote on Tue, 11 May 2004 10:34

I've always liked the sound of the grado's but find them uncomfortable to wear. Just my $.02

Yup, the Grados are damned uncomfortable, but people put up with that because of the great sound.

josh

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2004, 12:51:09 PM »

FWIW I got some AKG K-44s for tracking and they really are crappy sounding headphones.  Terrifically comfortable.  No high end, flubby low-mid, sound kind of like you're listening through a toilet-paper-tube.  For tracking they are ok, though, since they isolate pretty well and keep the click track from bleeding into the mics.  I need to open them up and see if I can pack the cups with foam or something and clean up that lower mid.

I love my Radio Shack Nova 71's.  $18.  How can you go wrong?  They sound terrific.  My favorite for sound.  They are uncomfortable though.  I wish I had 10 pairs of these.  The stink for isolation, you can hear the click track bleeding.  

I have had a pair of Sony 7506's for about 13 years.  They have a ton of top end, a little hyped.  Still for mic placement in a home studio on bright instruments such as drum kit or acoustic guitar, they're hard to beat.  They have so much bottom end dynamic range that every rough mix I make using them comes off with about 10x as much bottom end as can be handled by any loudspeaker.  You easily get fooled into turning these up too loud and blowing your ears for the day, because they don't distort or sound mean at all when you crank them.

Gotta try some Nova 67's.

I agree about Grado headphones, they are wonderful for listening, euphonic, and totally unusable for finding anything wrong with something.  I'd think for editing they'd be killer.  Unfatiguing and pleasant.  Or just for listening to CDs on my laptop.

chrisrnps

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2004, 10:19:34 PM »

Sony MDR7506's, AKG K240's, and Beyer DT48's here - they all have their plusses and minuses; the 7506's seem 'smiley face EQ' hypey, the AKG's seem 'extended' but the impedance practically requires and beefy outboard headphone amp, and the Beyers are 'old reliable built like tanks' standbys, and have really good isolation and midrange detail, but are a little lacking in the 'mad booty bass' department. However this is somewhat mitigated by the stuff-that's-plastic-on-most-headphones-is-metal-on-these construction, which is kinda nice.

I mean, calling it "music" is really sort of a mistake. It's drama with noise.
- Brian Eno

debuys

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2004, 03:36:35 AM »

I have 4 Fostex T40's and a Pair of T50'2. None of them are over 3 years old and all of them have issues. Part of the reason they all have issues is they fall of a head banger or lean and bob players head. Headphones that fall off someones head have a tendancy to eventually find thier feet. All but 2 of my Fostex headphones have lost the part that prevents the earcup from flopping around. Ironic part is when I bought these one of the reasons was the replaceable cable. At least that part is still good.

I bought two pair of Signal Line Headphones from a distributer at around $20 each. They are loud, soso at bleed, and cheap $80 list. The cable is nice and long wich is a plus. They seem solid for the money and I figure if a client destroys a pair I can get reimbursed on the spot.

I have a pair of Sonys at home. I like them best.

Here's on a (1 to 10) scale what I have for the dollar

T40's ($90) (6)
T50 ($100) (5)
Signal Line ($20) (6)
Sony ($80) (7)

I'm not sure I can say run out and grab anything that I have. I don't know the model name of the Signal Lines or the Sonys.

Robert
Robert de Buys
Dreamcatchers
1818 28th Ave
Homewood, AL 25209

spankenstein

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2004, 04:19:26 PM »

I had some of the Radio Shack ones that Harvey was talking about... they got broke by a singer on a session.

I bought 4 pair of the MoreMes. I haven't ever mixed on headphones and other than tracking have never used any in the studio. The MoreMes have been great for tracking though. Been thrown around and stepped on. Some complaints about being a "head vice."

hargerst

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2004, 05:39:50 PM »

You can bend the wire earcup supports to reduce the "head vice" effect on the MoreMe's.

spankenstein

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2004, 05:47:41 PM »

Most have gotten used to it. Everyone has been aprehensive about bending them. I've got a small head so it was never a problem for me.

rwhitney

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2004, 04:57:44 AM »

The Ultrasone HFI650s are nice, but pricey at $200 each. They have much better isolation than the 7506s, and I tend to prefer them for most things; though I do like the Sonys, and the Sennheiser HD280s, too. The 7506s are brighter, which can be an advantage in some cases. I like to give the musicians the best sounding cue mix possible, so I've spent hella cash on headphones.
Ross Whitney
rwhitney@uci.edu

hargerst

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2004, 06:56:46 PM »

rwhitney wrote on Tue, 22 June 2004

I like to give the musicians the best sounding cue mix possible, so I've spent hella cash on headphones.

I found musicians really don't care about "the best sounding cue mix possible" - they just wanna be able to hear themselves, so I came up with the MoreMe headphones, designed to cut back on the really low bottom end, and let the mid and high end detail stand out.  That's also why we have the Oz headphone mixer in the small studio, and the Rane headphone system in the big studio - everybody gets their own individual headphone mix.

The short cord on the phones turned out to be a plus, since it keeps the connector off the floor, eliminating the chance of it being stepped on.  And, when musicians see that they say "Studio Headphones" right on them, they figure the phones MUST be made strictly for studio use, since they won't see them at music stores or Walmart.

hollywood_steve

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2004, 10:10:43 PM »

This is one of those things that makes me scratch my head.  I've been playing and recording long enough to have spent a lot of time wearing Sony, AKG, Sennheiser and other phones, and none of them comes near the Beyer line for audio quality, build quality and reliability.  I went with the 770s but I've used the 250s and even the old 100s and would choose any of them over the competition.  What is it that the rest of you don't like about the Beyers?

Eliott James

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2004, 12:41:44 AM »

Just picked a pair of Beyer DT 770 Pro a week ago. Love 'em. Good isolation for tracking -18 to 20 dB. Good and detailed for finding problem freqs. Presents a good representation of the mix, too. Easy to listen to. Those are for me, though. Anyone else uses Radio Shacks. Harvey's are good too for tracking but that's it. (Sorry Harvey, they don't sound good, but that's not what they're for, are they?)

Rob G

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2004, 06:02:10 PM »

All,

Myself, & my staff use the Sennheiser HD600's for reference listening, & Sony MDR 7506's for session work(I.E.:musicians cue mixes).

Rob G.

hargerst

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2004, 06:55:05 PM »

EJ wrote

Harvey's are good too for tracking but that's it. (Sorry Harvey, they don't sound good, but that's not what they're for, are they?)

Well, I don't think they sound too bad, but yes, they're strictly for any situation where there's a good chance the phones will get damaged.  They're cheap, rugged, and almost disposable.  And the service (if they do go bad) is first rate. Very Happy
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 18 queries.