R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: IMP15 discussion  (Read 22111 times)

J-Texas

Re: IMP15 discussion
« Reply #105 on: October 31, 2007, 04:26:46 PM »

j.hall wrote on Wed, 31 October 2007 09:36

J-Texas

hello compression?..which of course I?m a huge fan of, it would just be nice to have the bottom octave present and accounted for.  Man that vocal is bright.  do you have some monitoring issues on this mix?  I don?t recall your other IMP entries being this thin.  I like the finesse of this mix.  It sounds like you spent some time really working the levels.

Man, I'm retarded. I tried to do a little "mastering". Something I should NOT do! Once I went back and took that shit off and made a couple of tweaks it actually sounded good to me. Bottom end is what I consistently have trouble with in this room (and rightfully so... it's a friggin' bedroom with traps). I am so glad to have the control room finished and I look forward to the crits on the next one to help me figure out what the space is doing. A decently flat and definitely acceptable freq response at the mix position, ProAc monitors and a JSX sub won't hurt things either!  Very Happy  

http://www.thompsoncreative.com/public/Studio/Screen%20Shot.jpg
Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com

Greg Dixon

« Reply #106 on: October 31, 2007, 05:18:38 PM »

j.hall wrote on Thu, 01 November 2007 01:36

[b

Greg Dixon[/b]

I assume this is the client approved mix.  First off, nicely done on the tracking.  You got great sounds.   I?d like to hear your rhythm section pound more, but that?s a taste thing, and for all I know, the band just wanted it chill and told you to do so.  I like how you are using the sax.  I didn?t push mine that hard.  Treated it more as a background texture thing.  I like it driving the mix.  It?s good to shift perspective away from the lead vocal sometimes.  This is a great tune to do it in.

Actually it's quite different to the client approved mix. I thought it would be fun to take it in a different direction. I'd already done my real mix and I wasn't going to do nothing while the rest of you had all the fun!! Very Happy

The 'real' mix is here. http://www.myspace.com/guavatheband

j.hall

« Reply #107 on: November 01, 2007, 01:44:32 PM »

next round.  took a break to get some more done.

this round seems like the lead vocal was quiet.  don't forget guys that the common public really only cares about the lead vocal.  it needs to be up, front and center ready for people to sing along with, at least 99.9% of the time.

ATOR

this is great.  Everything is just flowing and working.  You kept it delicate, but it still hits where it needs to.  the verb you are using is great.  My only comment is that the snare seems to have some weird low mid thing pulsing with it?s initial transient.  Easy to over look as your mix really draws me in.  

cjwallgor

distorted and aggressive.  Two things I typically enjoy doing while I mix.  I think the mix works because the sonic vibe is so much different then the vibe of the tune.  It?s not insanely different.  Just enough to shift a perspective and represent the tune in a different space.  I like when mixers do that.  Your use of the sax is nice too.  It comes up louder then the lead vocal, which I like.  Grabs your ear in key moments.  Nicely done.

darkhorseporter

very dark.  The balances are good in that they are all dark, but this feels like mastering couldn?t help.  The vocal is good.  Were you wanting the music to be this dark?  Leaning on the organ is a cool choice.  Most people went for the guitar as the main musical focal point.  I like this shift.

sing sing

you slaughtered it?  Thus far, this feels good and seems like you?ve only muted the drums and bass.  The sax is very smooth sounding.  The vocal is nicely de-essed, something I think many of us (me included) don?t get right.  I love the drums, just wish they had more low end.  Then again, it?s pretty cool all blown out and compressed.  I dig this mix!

osumosan

I think your rhythm section balances are off.  IMO (which it?s just my opinion?..) the bass and kick drum should be balanced in lowend and level.  I think your vocal is a touch quiet.  Acoustic guitars sound great.  The mix feels a little soft for what I typically like.  But I also think it serves the song well.  Not sure how to describe it.  The mix works, there?s just things I?d change.  Might just be an EQ thing in the upper mids and top end.

typek

interesting intro.  I think it would work better to just start the tune right at the verse with the vocal.  Lead vocal is too quiet and I?d like to hear it compressed more.  Just to bring out some of the nuances of his performance.  Bass guitar feels too loud to me, but the tone is solid.  I think in general your sounds are good but your balance is off.  Are you a bass player?  Just curious as it?s the loudest thing in the mix.

Audio~Geek

intro sounds like a bad edit.  I like the verb idea on the vocal but I think the tone of the effect needs some tweaking.  It?s a bit sharp and pointed.  I think a song like this needs a smoother verb.  When things get bigger the kick drum gets lost.  Bass guitar is louder then the drums in places.

cymatics      

a touch dark, but the pumping drums are warming my heart.  I think the lead vocal could be a bit louder as well.  Don?t forget that the vocal is all the common public cares about.  Put it up on top and let those weird effects set the mood.  You?ve thrown the mix into a weird space but all the elements are working together in that space.  You handled all that very well.  The mix feels a little dizzy, which is cool.  

osumosan

« Reply #108 on: November 02, 2007, 08:38:23 PM »

j.hall wrote on Thu, 01 November 2007 13:44

I think your rhythm section balances are off.  IMO (which it?s just my opinion?..) the bass and kick drum should be balanced in lowend and level.  I think your vocal is a touch quiet.  Acoustic guitars sound great.  The mix feels a little soft for what I typically like.  But I also think it serves the song well.  Not sure how to describe it.  The mix works, there?s just things I?d change.  Might just be an EQ thing in the upper mids and top end.

Thanks for the comments. I like to think balance is my strong point. Oh well. I'll try to listen for what you're talking about with the lowend tracks. I usually think of the kick and bass splitting lowend duties. Sometimes the bass does the low lows other times the kick. Maybe the mix needs to be evened out with some compression (a reason to get another compressor!) By soft, of course you don't mean quiet, right? I did leave a lot of headroom, which I'm trying to do now pre-mastering. I always err to the warm side and personally, things around 10k kill me. Does anyone agree or think that I need to bring that back into my mixes?

Best,

Michael

Greg Dixon

« Reply #109 on: November 02, 2007, 09:15:20 PM »

You'd need to check the other reviews. If you get a consensus, it's an issue. If not it's just one opinion, which might be right and they've picked up something nobody else did or it's just their preference.

One thing I find with these IMPs, is that you'll often get conflicting reviews. One person will say, they love the balance and the air in the tops, while the next says the balance is just not working and it's sounds really dull. Personally, I think all the reviews are worth considering, even if you completely disagree.

People just like different things. If you listen to the released mix of the song used this IMP, you'll find none of the 'tooty' organ. The producer and I loved it, but the client didn't. It's just the way things go.

j.hall

« Reply #110 on: November 03, 2007, 03:32:35 PM »

osumosan wrote on Fri, 02 November 2007 19:38

By soft, of course you don't mean quiet, right?

soft means no real impact.  so in this case, i'm refering to transient response.  your mix is "soft"

Quote:

Does anyone agree or think that I need to bring that back into my mixes?l

i'd say yes, but with taste.  i think leaning on mastering to "finish" your work is a bad idea.  

i try to deliver mixes to mastering that need nothing.  i can't say that's ever happened, but it's always my goal. we're talking about EQ here, not level.

if it feels dark to you, you should certainly change it.  if it feels good, it's hard to change as you simply aren't hearing it.  could be your monitors too.

mdifazio

« Reply #111 on: November 19, 2007, 12:10:26 AM »

First post, don't really know the rules, but I really like the song.  See what you think.

http://www.prosoundweb.com/imp/files/IMP_mdifazio.mp3

Thanks,  Matt.
M.Difazio
Musician
myspace.com/thegreatroadwest

j.hall

« Reply #112 on: November 19, 2007, 10:36:50 AM »

mdifazio wrote on Sun, 18 November 2007 23:10

First post, don't really know the rules, but I really like the song.  See what you think.

http://www.prosoundweb.com/imp/files/IMP_mdifazio.mp3

Thanks,  Matt.

kinda hard to miss them:

http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/14857/23/

mdifazio

« Reply #113 on: November 19, 2007, 02:11:50 PM »

Got it.  My bad.

Please ignore the post. Embarassed
M.Difazio
Musician
myspace.com/thegreatroadwest

sstillwell

« Reply #114 on: December 25, 2007, 09:45:21 PM »

Crud, too late.

Fun track to mix.

Hope I catch the next one in time.

Scott

http://www.stillwellaudio.com/
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 19 queries.