R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: IMP15 discussion  (Read 22137 times)

M Carter

Re: IMP15 discussion
« Reply #90 on: October 26, 2007, 07:35:20 PM »

I used the more dominant side of the kick track and scrapped the other one.  I can't remember which off the top of my head.
Matt Carter
General Manager
Manhattan Sound Recording
www.manhattansoundrecording.com
(212) 564 8248

garret

« Reply #91 on: October 26, 2007, 07:46:52 PM »

I mixed em both center, after checking to see that the zero crossings were lined up... I liked the blend, and figured you must have kept two two tracks for a reason (inside/outside, or two mics with different tone).

Then I cranked the bass drum fader down... way down.

Lol.

-G
tomorrow is already here - http://www.worksongs.net/

Greg Dixon

« Reply #92 on: October 26, 2007, 08:35:23 PM »

garret wrote on Sat, 27 October 2007 09:46

I liked the blend, and figured you must have kept two two tracks for a reason (inside/outside, or two mics with different tone).

-G

That's right in and out and for the tonal differences. A D112 inside the hole and a Audix D6 outside. I started recording them on a stereo track, as I like  having them on the one fader and it's easy to change the balance or mute one if needed.

garret

« Reply #93 on: October 26, 2007, 09:19:34 PM »

Greg Dixon wrote on Fri, 26 October 2007 20:35

That's right in and out and for the tonal differences. A D112 inside the hole and a Audix D6 outside. I started recording them on a stereo track, as I like  having them on the one fader and it's easy to change the balance or mute one if needed.

Yah... I sometimes use stereo tracks for stuff like that too.  Unfortunately my host (Sonar) doesn't allow you to pan & adjust gain for each side of a stereo track separately, but there's a free utility plugin that works a charm.

Windows VST only... sorry mac folks.
http://www.kellyindustries.com/stereo_tools.html
tomorrow is already here - http://www.worksongs.net/

Greg Dixon

« Reply #94 on: October 26, 2007, 09:36:46 PM »

PT has a Trim plug-in. Very handy.

Doug_H

« Reply #95 on: October 26, 2007, 09:53:28 PM »

I used them both, layed the right track back and gave it a healthy high shelf boost

J-Texas

« Reply #96 on: October 26, 2007, 10:12:05 PM »

Greg Dixon wrote on Fri, 26 October 2007 03:25

Jason Thompson. Bright and very compressed. Voice could work as is, if it was brought down a bit. Not much in there besides drums, bass and vocals. Could use more level on the kick to fit with the bass and snare. Another one where the sax either needs to be louder or not there at all. The whole track sounds a bit dirty, but otherwise is a pretty good mix, just not much going on harmonically.

Man I just a couple of little tweaks. Left the vox "as-is" but brought them down a bit. Took out some of the 5K + also. Added a bit more of the dirty bass track that was multed and distorted. Added a little more eq between 500 and 1500 on the sax and took the reverb off. Brought up the first organ about 4bd. I love the mix now.

Very cool track. Great sound. I like the other track you did on the Guava myspace page as well. Thanks goes to the band. All of you as well.

Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com

Eric H.

« Reply #97 on: October 27, 2007, 02:35:29 PM »

J-Texas wrote on Thu, 25 October 2007 04:00

teleric - Bright. I like it already. Fat kick. Vox a little low for me. Oops. Actually... all over the place. This mix could use a little compression on the vox. I love the drums man. Bass is a little strong. A lot strong I guess. Distracting. Sax doesn't sit for me stuck way out there to the right. It's odd enough without accentuating it by drawing that much attention to it. So dissonant that lead organ, huh? I guess you liked it. Did you mean to leave the ending not cleaned up?

Well, thanks for liking the drums, i worked hard on them, especially the hats once i got the kick and snare.
After reading the reviews, i went over the mix and realized it was all true. I find it hard to take be the only listener toward the end of the mix.
I'm knew to this, but thanks to IMP, I'm making real progress when mixing.
So, i turned down the bass, compressed a little more the drum buss, and automated the lead vocal. I think that's now the best mix i've ever done (probably until the next).

Also, after reading the mind-blowing threads about recording lower and mixing lower, i've turned down to OdB the master fader, peaking once at -2,9, and staying most of the time @-10dBFS.
As greg said it, i also noted an improvement in sound quality in this session.
It was a lot easier to fix problems and the plugins were a lot more satisfying.
I guess the wind's turning and it's for the best this time.

eric harizanos

Greg Dixon

« Reply #98 on: October 27, 2007, 09:55:58 PM »

teleric wrote on Sun, 28 October 2007 05:35

Also, after reading the mind-blowing threads about recording lower and mixing lower, i've turned down to OdB the master fader, peaking once at -2,9, and staying most of the time @-10dBFS.
As greg said it, i also noted an improvement in sound quality in this session.
It was a lot easier to fix problems and the plugins were a lot more satisfying.
I guess the wind's turning and it's for the best this time.

I've just finished an album, where the first 3 songs were done in July '05 and the rest were done this year. Great for comparing the difference that tracking at lower levels makes. Same band playing the same gear, recording in the same studio. The older songs, where I was peaking close to zero, definitely sound harsher, crunchier, less transparent etc. I received the mastered CD on Friday and I can still hear the difference.

J-Texas wrote on Sat, 27 October 2007 12:12

Very cool track. Great sound. I like the other track you did on the Guava myspace page as well. Thanks goes to the band. All of you as well.

Thanks, it always a pleasure to record a good band with good material. I spoke to Chris from the band a few days ago and they're hoping to come back to record some new songs in January. Rohan, their producer saw them live recently and told me that the new songs are even better, so I'm looking forward to that.

A tip for anyone struggling with getting the level of the bass right. Maybe everyone does this already, but I find the most helpful tool, is the mute button. If you mute the track and and suddenly everything sounds empty or just very different, it's probably too loud. The other trick is to mix for a while without it and then bring it back up gradually until there's enough. Even in a well designed control room, the bass is usually the hardest thing to judge accurately and in the average home studio, must be even harder.

M Carter

« Reply #99 on: October 28, 2007, 10:43:18 AM »

I always feel like we should have a big group hug at the end of these IMP threads.

Thanks for the tracks Greg!
Matt Carter
General Manager
Manhattan Sound Recording
www.manhattansoundrecording.com
(212) 564 8248

Greg Dixon

« Reply #100 on: October 28, 2007, 05:39:56 PM »

Is it over already?  Sad

iCombs

« Reply #101 on: October 28, 2007, 07:58:52 PM »

LORD no...I've got critiques to do yet.  Just been up to my ass in 2 or 3 projects...should get some time this week.
Ian Combs
Producer/Engineer
Lightspeed Group, Inc.
----------------------
"Mista apareeatah... can I have maar beass at all frequencies?"

j.hall

« Reply #102 on: October 29, 2007, 12:19:17 PM »

i've got my reviews half done.

i'll post what i have if that helps things keep moving.

just been insanely busy....

Doug_H

« Reply #103 on: October 29, 2007, 11:34:25 PM »

well, thanks for the reviews.  

Most of the mixes turned out more "rockin'" than I would have expected, I heard it kind of jazzy for some reason.  

I've done some tweaking (or did) just for the hell of it after reading a few reviews, spread out the accoutics a bit and tried to get the snare off the cieling.  I think it's better.  I'm not a big fan of streo accoustics unless the tune screams for it.  I didn't know, or botehr to listen closely enough in the time I had, if the guitar pairs were separate tracks or stereo mics, so I assumed they were stereo mics and just put the main guitar down the pipe to spearhead the mix.  Spreading it out a bit post "post" did seem to keep it from sticking me in the eye every now and then the way it does in my posted mix.  I suppose some mid/mid eq would have done the same.

At the last minute when I was burning a cd for stereo review I thought in the last burn I did the waveform looked kind of wimpy so I boosted the gain on the limiter and put all my faith in the soft knee <sound of loud buzzer>...

I like these sort of mixing "events" partly because I wouldn't get a chance to mix real drums any other way.  These were some of the nicest performed and recorded tracks I've had to work with yet.  I thought the vocalist was great.  

j.hall

« Reply #104 on: October 31, 2007, 10:36:48 AM »

here is what i have at the moment.

overall, these mixes are good.  i was surprised how diffferent they were in sonics.  most people went the same direction with the song, but the sonics of the mixes are all over the place.  which is great.

i'll finish up my reviews ASAP.

IMP15 reviews

Garret

I like how you created more of  an intro feel then I think the song itself really had.  I wish the kick and bass were up some, but the subdued vibe works well.  Your vocal sounds great and is really driving the mix.  I like ditching the drums in the outro.  It actually feels good.  Nicely done.

slash5969

interesting intro.  i think that hihat mic might shake some of my fillings out.  I think the drum image is out of balance.  I think the bass should come up to meet the kick drum.  I like the kick level, but you left it?s brother (the bass) a few blocks back.  The vocal delay I like.  Feels a touch digital, but I like the level and idea.

Greg Dixon

I assume this is the client approved mix.  First off, nicely done on the tracking.  You got great sounds.   I?d like to hear your rhythm section pound more, but that?s a taste thing, and for all I know, the band just wanted it chill and told you to do so.  I like how you are using the sax.  I didn?t push mine that hard.  Treated it more as a background texture thing.  I like it driving the mix.  It?s good to shift perspective away from the lead vocal sometimes.  This is a great tune to do it in.

mac

I?d like to hear your snare drum match the top end of the vocal.  I do like the soft drum sounds, that hit pretty good.  That?s a nice balance between pounding drum sounds and keeping it chill.  Are those tom samples?  If so, they fit the vibe of the overheads perfectly.  Maybe your overheads are just dialed back to most people?s.  I like the bass being pretty loud.

Teleric

this is the first mix that reminds me of my own (not that I?m looking for that).  Compressed overheads, present drums, big bass.  I like the slight edge the vocal has, very nice.  It hints at being aggressive, but never gets there.  I really like how you worked this mix.  Very subtle things here and there to shift the focus around.  This is my favorite mix so far.  Well done.

J-Texas

hello compression?..which of course I?m a huge fan of, it would just be nice to have the bottom octave present and accounted for.  Man that vocal is bright.  do you have some monitoring issues on this mix?  I don?t recall your other IMP entries being this thin.  I like the finesse of this mix.  It sounds like you spent some time really working the levels.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 22 queries.