R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: IMP15 discussion  (Read 22115 times)

ATOR

Re: IMP15 discussion
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2007, 04:15:54 PM »

Quote:

The sax track is essential to this tune.

Well the sax wasn't essential to my mix, it just didn't fit the tune the way I heard it. Neither did the hammond  Very Happy  I had to force myself to leave some in.
Pieter Vincenten - ATORmastering

M Carter

« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2007, 04:40:50 PM »

Garrett -

I was subjected to intense amounts of Jazz and jam bands in school... it didn't make me appreciate the sax any more than I already didn't.

Smile

Matt
Matt Carter
General Manager
Manhattan Sound Recording
www.manhattansoundrecording.com
(212) 564 8248

garret

« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2007, 06:15:52 PM »

ATOR wrote on Sun, 21 October 2007 16:15

Quote:

The sax track is essential to this tune.

Well the sax wasn't essential to my mix, it just didn't fit the tune the way I heard it. Neither did the hammond  Very Happy  I had to force myself to leave some in.

I'm very interested to here how you pull this off. Your mixes are always very unique, and very good.

Matt:   Laughing  I completely understand.  I think the sax is used for evil more often than any other instrument.   Okay, maybe the electric guitar...  so much wankery in each camp.

-Garret
tomorrow is already here - http://www.worksongs.net/

Greg Dixon

« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2007, 06:47:26 PM »

M Carter wrote on Sun, 21 October 2007 10:06

Environmental Terrorism?

No sorry, much more personal than that.

M Carter

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2007, 07:19:19 PM »

I was just screwin with you.

Sounds like some sort of drug addiction or so.
Matt Carter
General Manager
(212) 564 8248

Greg Dixon

« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2007, 07:36:10 PM »

No not drugs. You were closer the first time!!

chrisj

« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2007, 11:02:04 PM »

Can't make this one guys, it's already 11 Sunday night and I'm hip-deep in a plugin development thing trading sound files with some guys on KVR and haven't even set up the tune in Logic. I did download the RAR, but this isn't happening, not even if I skip eating and sleeping.

See ya next time?

maxim

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2007, 01:10:14 AM »

the sea at bondi beach is indeed closer since a high wind dumped sand up the hill a few months ago

the low tide is where the high tide used to be...

slash5969

« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2007, 11:07:10 AM »

This song was a lot of fun! Not the type of thing I'm used to, but therein lies much of it's appeal. I liked the ethereal vibe to the vocal - that's where I concentrated my attention in the mix.

Thanks for the great tracks, Greg. I didn't have to waste time and energy getting anything to "sound right", and that made it very enjoyable to work with.

j.hall

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2007, 12:44:18 PM »

my mix is printing now.  thanks greg, sounds were great!

typek

« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2007, 03:29:44 PM »

slash5969 wrote on Mon, 22 October 2007 10:07

I didn't have to waste time and energy getting anything to "sound right", and that made it very enjoyable to work with.

yeah. I liked not having to worry much about 'fixing' things, etc.
When I compressed the bass, I did get a loud noise floor sort of hiss so I spent a lot of time editing that out- Can anyone suggest a different approach to this? I don't think that would fly in a professional setting (spending an hour editing out hiss in the silent parts of the track), or would it?. Also, if i may ask what was the bumping sound that the lead hammond track had? a pedal of some sort?  

All in all, It was very enjoyable to work with and very good practice for me.. I had fun with it, but I can't get the tune out of my head.. Twisted Evil

M Carter

« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2007, 04:13:03 PM »

Yeah this one felt relatively easy compared to some of our recent adventures in mixing.  So far it seems like everyone creatively took the same approach of just letting it be what it is.

I'll have mine up tonight after the 10-6pm grind is over.

Matt Carter
General Manager
(212) 564 8248

Greg Dixon

« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2007, 06:00:17 PM »

typek wrote on Tue, 23 October 2007 05:29

When I compressed the bass, I did get a loud noise floor sort of hiss so I spent a lot of time editing that out- Can anyone suggest a different approach to this? I don't think that would fly in a professional setting (spending an hour editing out hiss in the silent parts of the track), or would it?. Also, if i may ask what was the bumping sound that the lead hammond track had? a pedal of some sort?  

The bass was noisy. I'm surprised to hear it took an hour to fix though, assuming you're using a DAW. I just deleted all the parts where he wasn't playing. I'd cleaned it up for the original mix, but got rid of my edits before consolidating the tracks...... I didn't want to make it too easy. Very Happy

The same guy played bass and Hammond and had an aversion to turning up the volume, which left everything close to (or below) the noise floor. Nice guy and good player, just doesn't seem to like volume.

The bass was recorded through my Brownface Bassman, set very quietly. In fact it was so quiet that on one of the other songs, he didn't bother closing the doors to the studio, we didn't notice and you can hear the singer and I talking in a section where he wasn't playing!!! The mic was about 8 metres from where we were in front of the amp and if you turn it up, you can clearly hear what we're saying. That's quiet.

Same with the Hammond. You can hear bleed from the click on one of the Hammond tracks. Once again too quiet. The bumping sound is the speed being switched on the Leslie. It always makes noise, but is normally hidden under the signal. In this case, he had the pedal backed off, so the usual switching noise was there, but without enough level from the organ to mask it.

audio~geek

« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2007, 10:04:07 PM »

After mixing I did a bit of mastering, thats when I noticed the noisy on the song, had to go back and get rid of large chunks of regions and gate the snare more.

Hey Typek for editing out quiet parts you can use strip silence or just use a gate, shouldn't take you an hour.

Hey Greg, whats the name of the Band and tune?

Doug_H

« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2007, 11:17:24 PM »

Well, joined the forum to post in an imp.  

Really surprised at how different all the mixes sound.  Don't know why but I figured they'd all sound the same, some just better than others.

I think I crushed mine too much at the last minute with the limiter, oh well...late night

I don't have a clue how to mix keys so I did the obvious thing and tried to put them as a background with a decent amount of verb.

Cheers

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 21 queries.