R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: You really need to check this out... (noise removal)  (Read 5812 times)

Chriss

Advanced version
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2007, 12:04:28 PM »

Is there much of a difference in the noise removal of the rx and rx advanced versions?

Dave Davis

Re: You really need to check this out... (noise removal)
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2007, 02:01:23 PM »

Of course there's a difference! Specifically: when you have access to more parameters, you can more flexibly and transparently eliminate different kinds of noise than you can with a smaller, more limited set of controls.  Think of it like EQ: A 4 band parametric can do much, much more than a 4 band graphic.  The difference is similar.

OTOH the regular version can be better if you don't understand the parameters available in the advanced version.  If you don't know what the controls mean/do, you're more likely to make a mess of things than you might with a simpler tool.

The bottom line here: the versions reflect different sorts of users, more than DSP.  Advanced users will recognize and use the extra parameters, casual users will not (or do damage with tools they don't fully understand).  I suggest trying both demo versions and see what feels best for you.  Advanced users hit the wall pretty quickly with the regular version, while regular users will be stumped by most of the controls on the advanced version.  If you see things you don't get, and you don't do this for a living, the regular version might be ideal.

-d-

Bob Boyd

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2007, 03:39:56 PM »

I got spend a little time with the iZotope SRC included in RX last night.  When trying this SRC previously (who's code is included in several other apps), I had not been able to produce a converted file that wasn't a touch brighter than the source.  RX allows you to adjust the filters in the SRC and I was indeed able to yield a result closer to what I'm hearing with Weiss Saracon (my benchmark).

From what Matt Gray has mentioned, AudioFile Engineering is adding (or has already added) these filter adjustments to their apps as well.

I will continue to experiment with this but one thing is for sure - RX looks like it will be a great thing to have in the ol' toolbox.
Bob Boyd
ambientdigital, Houston

http://ambientdigital.com
http://myspace.com/ambientdigital

Twitter: @bobboyd

Look, I know it's mean.  But sometimes the end justifies the mean.

cerberus

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2007, 04:06:26 PM »

<edit: see what alex has said below>

jeff dinces

Alexey Lukin

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2007, 06:50:03 AM »

Chriss wrote on Mon, 15 October 2007 12:04

Is there much of a difference in the noise removal of the rx and rx advanced versions?

No. You can use the same high-quality algorithms in the Simple version. However the Advanced version has more algorithm parameters exposed: Knee sharpness, Psychoacoustic suppr., Release time, Harmonic enhancement, FFT size, Algorithm of musical noise suppression, and Multi-resolution. The last 3 can be controlled by "Algorithm" presets (A/B/C) in a Simple version, while other controls are defaulted to some reasonable values in a Simple version.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 22 queries.