R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Safe heat levels for outboard,  (Read 2670 times)

Alan Meyerson

Safe heat levels for outboard,
« on: October 07, 2007, 02:13:21 PM »

Hi Dave,
I have a mix room in my house. My computer/ converters/ I/O clocks etc are in a closed rack. WE've done about as much as we can to cool it but it still gets up to around 102 degrees.
Is that safe?
Thanks,
Alan

Dave Hecht

Re: Safe heat levels for outboard,
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 07:47:33 PM »

Alan,

I'd definitely want to keep it a good bit cooler than that. How is the rack vented / cooled?

Dave Hecht

garret

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 08:42:50 PM »

The computer in particular is at risk... standard pc cooling fans and airflow are designed for ambient temps in the comfortable for humans range (55 - 75 degrees).  At work (my day job = computer systems) we'd be in a colossal panic if our server room hit 100 deg.   It's unlikely to top 70 deg except when one of our big liebert's is offline for a maintenance cycle.

The first component to be affected by heat is the hard disks... if you're lucky, before that happens the motherboard will overheat and hard lock... which does a nice job of cooling things off until you power cycle.

I'd definitely work on the airflow in that unit... intake on the bottom, exhaust on the top.  Big fan on top pushing air out... or change over to an open rack so you don't hold in all the heat.

-Garret
tomorrow is already here - http://www.worksongs.net/

sodderboy

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 07:31:41 AM »

I agree, but install the fans at the bottom to push cool air IN, and they will last much longer.  For lower noise, put two fans in series and see if that helps to get the temp down to normal.  With a little work you can get a good noise/temp balance.
And consider putting the computer in a different room.  That is always the best solution.
Mike

PP

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 05:40:16 PM »

dcollins

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 09:33:06 PM »

PP wrote on Thu, 11 October 2007 14:40

But better voices than mine exist hereabouts to advise you on that particular matter.

Tony Kordybans' books and articles are highly recommemded!

http://tkordyban.coolingzone.com/

http://www.coolingzone.com/library.php?folder=21

DC

sodderboy

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 10:36:53 PM »

Dang, if I gotta pimp a dual core like allah DAT, what did Jobs pay the designers for in the first place?  They run real nice for me in temperature controlled mix rooms for me.
Do you recommend the 2000 cfm Scythe or the 10Kcfm Bizzarn Bizzustich for a 2TB internal SATA?  I will have to bring in a bridge builder for my bud's project studio if I go with the latter.
That Scythe stuff is great if I want to put the computer in the next town, OR in a cooled room like the IT guys do.
And there are funnels in a dual core?  I gottah get outta here. . .
Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 21 queries.