R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: AES 2007 updates  (Read 35933 times)

Gold

Re: Sontec @ AES
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2007, 08:34:11 AM »

Ed Littman wrote on Sun, 07 October 2007 01:40

so for $11500 & probably a long wait you get one box with two eq's in them.

For that dough I'd decide which flavor I liked better and get the six band bohemoth. It's a lot of EQ and can be used at the same time. I'd shoot myself if II had to figure out whether the ITI or the Sontec was perfect for a .5 dB boost at 27K.
Paul Gold
www.saltmastering.com

On the silk road, looking for uranium.

bblackwood

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2007, 08:57:04 AM »

I still haven't seen anything mind-blowing (well, except seeing Burgess there - talk about a shock!). Sequoia 10 looks promising, and it appears Doug Fearn is indeed going to finally move ahead with the VT-5, which I have bugged him about for what seems like decades now.

Time will tell if any of these things that look promising flesh out...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Gold

Re: AES 2007 updates
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2007, 09:14:44 AM »

I was looking forward to seeing the multiband Maselec compressor. I saw Leif but he didn't have one there. Apparently Studio Consultants has one. I wanted to try it at the show because if I get it in my room I'll probably want to keep it.
Paul Gold
www.saltmastering.com

mcsnare

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2007, 10:56:20 AM »

I've been using Scott Hull's 462 for the last 2 months and it's like cheating. You have all the control of a Weiss or the Algorithmix but with the sound of a Sontec. The new version(482) is going to have lots of fans when Burgess starts delivering.
After yakking with so many folks, I used up my gear listening time, so I'm gonna have to go back on Monday. A few things I did hear that seemed cool: the Greg G./Dave Amels tape sim box and the Phoenix Audio mini passive eq( I forgot what they call it.) The eq is one rack space, passive filters, and reqires you to mate it with a gain stage/mic pre of your choice. They had it hooked up to the Phoenix tube pre and even on the AES floor I was very impressed. It only goes down to about 800hz, but the mids and top are like buttah.
I talked at length to Greg about the tape simulation box and it seems like they really zeroed in on the minute eq cure/phase shift/dynamic harmonic makeup of various decks and different tape types. I could hear a basic vibe of what the box does and it seemed promising, but I think it's the kind of thing that has to be heard in a more hi-rez environment to hear the subtleties, which is what the box is all about.
It was fun to see Brad taking notes while Brian Lucey instructed him on the fine art of cable matching for best performance.
Dave

Bob Boyd

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2007, 10:56:48 AM »

Gold wrote on Sun, 07 October 2007 08:14

I was looking forward to seeing the multiband Maselec compressor. I saw Leif but he didn't have one there. Apparently Studio Consultants has one. I wanted to try it at the show because if I get it in my room I'll probably want to keep it.

I've got the MLA-3 here on demo.  Nice box.  Being a former MEA2 guy, it was nice to see that you could shut the unit off and it would pass audio.  I just like knowing that "bypass" is truly bypassed.

Sonically, it is extremely transparent and would be more than adequate for a touch of band compression here and there.  The linking option is very unique.  You can, for example, have the low and mid sidechains listen to each other and create a pump in the mids that's triggered from the kick.

I didn't find that it was my thing when trying to DeEss with it.

I don't use multiband compression that much and if I didn't already have the excellent and extremely flexible MD4 in my System 6000, I think it would find a home here.

I'm a fan of Leif's gear and the MLA-3 is worth a listen.
Bob Boyd
ambientdigital, Houston

http://ambientdigital.com
http://myspace.com/ambientdigital

Twitter: @bobboyd

Look, I know it's mean.  But sometimes the end justifies the mean.

carlsaff

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2007, 11:13:08 AM »

Ed Littman wrote on Sun, 07 October 2007 00:40

$8,200

!

Well, I'm glad I've been saving for a new EQ. I just had no idea this might be the one I was saving for.

Silvertone

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2007, 11:18:48 AM »

I thought the show was just okay.  Nothing really lit a fire for me.

Burgess wanted to spank me for my comments on the web regarding the MES EQ's. We talked for like an hour. I just reminded him I just repeated what George had told me. He an George still have that rivalry going after 30 years! He showed Ed Littman and I pictures of the one and only ITI console ever made, very cool.  It's funny as Burgess hasn't changed in 15+ years I've know him. Him coming to AES and his booth was a last minute decision, he said he wanted to show everyone that he wasn't dead yet. Still has a great sense of humor. I will be waiting to see about deliveries myself. Chris (Muth) was going up to see him at the end of the show as he needs a bunch of op-amps from him.

Good to see you and meet you Ed.  Paul (Gold) sorry I missed you, we seem to run into each other at every show but not this time.

Ran into lots of old friends and some new ones. Dave Amels (was showing the Anamod but it still isn't shipping till Novemeber). Anthony DeMaria, Joe Demao, Chris Muth, Bob Muller, Joe Monterello, Daniel Weiss, etc...

Finally got to meet Tom Reichebach and David Geren, what nice guys. We talked about his Dad's designs and he told me to hold onto my 10002 and 10013 transformers as they will never able to be produced again. The way in which his Dad built them and wrapped them is a lost art and no one knows how to do it anymore... not even Tom... and forget about the materials they were made of, just not the same.

Had a nice long chat with Dan Lavry, nice guy and impressive mind. Will be arranging a shootout between the Weiss, Lavry (Gold) and Prism converters shortly.

As always these things are more about the people then the gear IMHO and it was great to see old friends and to just go out and do the NYC night life thing. Many of the left coast guys I was looking forward to seeing just didn't make the show, bummer.
Larry DeVivo
Silvertone Mastering, Inc.
PO Box 4582
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
www.silvertonemastering.com
To see some of our work please click on any of the visual trailer montages located at... http://robertetoll.com/  (all music and sound effects were mastered by Silvertone Mastering).

Silvertone

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2007, 11:23:09 AM »

mcsnare wrote on Sun, 07 October 2007 09:56

I've been using Scott Hull's 462 for the last 2 months and it's like cheating. You have all the control of a Weiss or the Algorithmix but with the sound of a Sontec. The new version(482) is going to have lots of fans when Burgess starts delivering.
After yakking with so many folks, I used up my gear listening time, so I'm gonna have to go back on Monday. A few things I did hear that seemed cool: the Greg G./Dave Amels tape sim box and the Phoenix Audio mini passive eq( I forgot what they call it.) The eq is one rack space, passive filters, and reqires you to mate it with a gain stage/mic pre of your choice. They had it hooked up to the Phoenix tube pre and even on the AES floor I was very impressed. It only goes down to about 800hz, but the mids and top are like buttah.
I talked at length to Greg about the tape simulation box and it seems like they really zeroed in on the minute eq cure/phase shift/dynamic harmonic makeup of various decks and different tape types. I could hear a basic vibe of what the box does and it seemed promising, but I think it's the kind of thing that has to be heard in a more hi-rez environment to hear the subtleties, which is what the box is all about.
It was fun to see Brad taking notes while Brian Lucey instructed him on the fine art of cable matching for best performance.
Dave

Sorry I missed you at the show.  As for the Anamod, you really have to hear this thing in your room. I was amazed at how it sounded at the Helios listening party (without even trying). I think Greg and Dave are onto something here (or is that hear). Dave will be sending one up just as soon as they can spare one.
Larry DeVivo
PO Box 4582
To see some of our work please click on any of the visual trailer montages located at... http://robertetoll.com/  (all music and sound effects were mastered by Silvertone Mastering).

Bob Boyd

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2007, 11:43:36 AM »

Silvertone wrote on Sun, 07 October 2007 10:18

Burgess wanted to spank me...

What happens in New York, should stay in New York.

Bob Boyd
ambientdigital, Houston

http://ambientdigital.com
http://myspace.com/ambientdigital

Twitter: @bobboyd

Look, I know it's mean.  But sometimes the end justifies the mean.

jdg

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2007, 12:21:27 PM »

carlsaff wrote on Sun, 07 October 2007 08:13

Ed Littman wrote on Sun, 07 October 2007 00:40

$8,200

!

Well, I'm glad I've been saving for a new EQ. I just had no idea this might be the one I was saving for.

sell me your nseq-f!!
john mcCaig
-Mothery Earworks Clarifold Audipure

Silvertone

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2007, 01:39:21 PM »

Matt_G wrote on Sun, 07 October 2007 07:28

Does Burgess have a website up yet?

Matt

Hi Matt,

All of Burgess' info says www.iti-audio.com and he said it was up in running, but as far as I can tell it's not. Sooooooooo.... it'll be a watch, wait and see area of interest for me.
Larry DeVivo
PO Box 4582

Silvertone

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2007, 01:40:22 PM »

Bob Boyd wrote on Sun, 07 October 2007 10:43

Silvertone wrote on Sun, 07 October 2007 10:18

Burgess wanted to spank me...

What happens in New York, should stay in New York.

Yes but at Burgess' age it hardly even hurt, I was somewhat disappointed Very Happy
Larry DeVivo
PO Box 4582

Ed Littman

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2007, 01:45:23 PM »

mcsnare wrote on Sun, 07 October 2007 10:56

Dave

awh...I missed that Twisted Evil. was there any red on that blue floor?
Ed

gbacklin

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2007, 01:52:39 PM »

Silvertone wrote on Sun, 07 October 2007 13:39

Matt_G wrote on Sun, 07 October 2007 07:28

Does Burgess have a website up yet?

Matt

Hi Matt,

All of Burgess' info says www.iti-audio.com and he said it was up in running, but as far as I can tell it's not. Sooooooooo.... it'll be a watch, wait and see area of interest for me.

Quote:

domain:                          iti-audio.com
created:                         02-Oct-2007

Looks like he just got it up, so might be a bit before fully operational.

Take Care,
Gene

Gold

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2007, 09:17:31 PM »

Bob Boyd wrote on Sun, 07 October 2007 10:56

I didn't find that it was my thing when trying to DeEss with it.

When I spoke to him I said it might be good as a desser. He said it would sort of do it but wouldn't touch the MDS. So I guess he's aware of that.
Paul Gold
www.saltmastering.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 22 queries.