R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: AES 2007 updates  (Read 35934 times)

bblackwood

AES 2007 updates
« on: October 05, 2007, 09:15:43 AM »

Hey guys - anyone attending the show, please post your updates here.

I flew in yesterday (Thursday) and walked around a bit - it's been two years since I visited NYC, and while I've been here close to a dozen times now, I'm always amazed at the energy this city has. Anyway, I hooked up with mcsnare and checked out Scott Hull's new mastering room - it's nicely finished, cozy but not small and it sounds good - the best I've heard Duntechs. Jan Folkson and Joe Yannecce also work in the same space, so it has a nice communal vibe.

The exhibition floor opens in about three hours. I'll wait for dave-g to land and get settled before I start walking about the floor, so that, combined with my hotel having internet problems (I'm currently in a coffee shop using their wifi) means that updates will happen either via my iPhone or as I can grab time in a wifi hotspot (historically there are none at the AES exhibition hall).

Cheers, more later.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

cerberus

Re: AES 2007 updates
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 05:50:50 PM »

i am not on the floor. but i've been testing  izotope rx.  it's a new standalone software restoration suite.
rx has become essential to my work as a mastering engineer.
it is very exciting to be able to help birth new technology
which i think should improve the collective sound of
our industry's product on average. i think that even
cedar users may be impressed.  rx is very clean.
show attendees may try rx at booth 466.

jeff dinces

Barry Hufker

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 06:01:35 PM »

Just went to the Izotope site to check RX.  The third piano sample (hum and denoiser) is most definitely out of key with the two previous ones and sounds awful...  But that's not necessarily a reflection on the technology, just someone's mistake.

Barry

cerberus

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 06:34:12 PM »

at least two of those example files seem like they're playing at the
wrong sample rate. i'll report it to izotope. thanks barry!

=

bblackwood wrote on Fri, 05 October 2007 09:15

the best I've heard Duntechs.
i just realized that for years this forum has not been referring to
dunlavy.  just a coincidentally similar name like masselec/massenburg?

please update on elysia.  and what is up with burgess from sontec?
imo the world is starving for more truly musical eqs at any price.

jeff dinces

TotalSonic

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 10:19:02 PM »

I got to AES fairly late today for the last hour before the floor closed as I had a job for a client on a serious deadline (they are flying out to Nigeria this weekend) so had to finish it first.

I stopped by the API booth to ask regarding possibly modding the input stage of the 5500 from opamp to transformer as I want to see if the upper mids could be made a little smoother via this but the man I need to speak to is Rick, and he wasn't there at the time.  Answer should be forthcoming later this weekend though.

Next stopped by Lavry's booth and got the schpiel from Dan on the new AD10.  It looks nice, although the ergonomics of everything being controlled by a single toggle switch look a little awkward to me.  Then again - with most parameters it would be set it and forget it, and the built in attenuator is a digital controlled analog potentiometer with 1dB steps, which makes it nice for recalls, so this really isn't that big of a downside.  While it has word clock in on bnc it doesn't have word clock out so it couldn't be used as a master clock - a definite downside to me.  There's two optional digital processing algorithms labelled "transformer" and "tube" you can put in line after the analog input (or both together for "complex") - but Dan, like me, felt the best option is just the straight "clear" conversion which does not color the sound by default.  After hashing it out with him seems in my case my needs would be met a lot more just adding a Blue Msync and ADC module to my existing 4496 chassis - so might have this done early next year.

Next spent a bit of time taking a look at the Elysia Alpha.  Ergonomics and functions looked very cool: the niveau filter style single eq band to do seamless tilts of a mix to darker or brighter, onboard side chain tuning, built in and easily switchable m/s matrix (along with solos for m/s processed and unprocessed) all were really cool features to me.
From what I could tell from the terrible listening environment that is the AES floor it seemed very effective while clean and solid sounding.  The price tag of $10g's doesn't really seem that outrageous once you see what you can actually do with this thing.  I'm not sure whether I really would have the budget for this any time soon though - so while I'd love some real demo time with it - right now it looks like it will just have to be a wish list item.

Next I ran into Al Grundy, and talked to him for a bit.  Seems he has a few restored Neumann cutting lathe systems for sale.  I'm mighty mightily tempted to get back into cutting vinyl based on the price he quoted me for a full guaranteed working system.  Please talk some sense into me regarding this if you see me on the floor!

I ran into Ed Littman there as the floor was closing.  He told me that Burgess had a small booth with a single chair and a couple eq's and showed me the new Sontec / ITI price list.  Can't remember the exact pricing but I believe a new 432 would run around under $9000, and a new 250EX about $2850.  He was also offering some mastering eq's that were switchable from Sontec to ITI-style electronics in the one box for around $11000.  Looks like Brad sold his used 432 right on time!!
I'm going to make a point of stopping by to introduce myself to Burgess later this weekend - pictures at 11:00.

After the floor closed I had a really nice dinner at a good Italian joint on 40th & 9th Ave. (lots of great places on that block and above for those looking for good eats near the Javitz center) with Ed where we  had some good shop talk.  

Tomorrow I have an afternoon rehearsal with my string quartet and then am going to see Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings play at the Apollo Theater - so if I can't get my lazy butt up early enough I might miss the day - but I should be around for most of Sunday and maybe a little bit on Monday so hope to run into some more folks then.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Gold

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2007, 01:28:27 AM »

TotalSonic wrote on Fri, 05 October 2007 22:19

Next I ran into Al Grundy, and talked to him for a bit.  Seems he has a few restored Neumann cutting lathe systems for sale.  I'm mighty mightily tempted to get back into cutting vinyl based on the price he quoted me for a full guaranteed working system.  Please talk some sense into me regarding this if you see me on the floor!

Please buy one. He needs to clean out the shop and I would like my saturdays back eventually.
Paul Gold
www.saltmastering.com

On the silk road, looking for uranium.

Thomas W. Bethel

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2007, 08:56:03 AM »

Keep up the reports it is ALMOST like being there.

I wanted to go this year but with my long time assistant leaving and work piling up it was not in the cards.

Maybe I will make it for my 40th year in the AES in 2009.

Thanks again for all the interesting information - it is like having a personal shopper.

-TOM-

Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
Room With a View Productions
http://www.acoustikmusik.com/

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.

bblackwood

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2007, 09:03:58 AM »

Well, made it on to the show floor sometime mid afternoon yesterday, hooked up with dave-G and we strolled about. Haven't seen anything exciting yet, but we've only made it about halfway through. Still need to meet with Bruno Putzys and talk to the Sonic guys. Will hopefully have a better update this afternoon/evening...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

J.J. Blair

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2007, 10:32:57 AM »

I got here in the evening, thus missing Friday's show.  Klaus and I met up and had dinner.  My friend, Margaret Cho, invited me to see her show at a theater last night.  Given the choice between the Mercenary party and Margaret's show, we chose the latter.  I hope Klaus isn't too damaged by what he saw.  Let's just say that it started with midget strippers, and even had a fat chick stripping to "God Bless The USA," with a never ending supply of dollars stuck between her butt cheeks.  I'm glad Klaus left when he did.  I don't even want to describe the act that he didn't get to see.  

Much more entertaining than hanging out with my friend Fletcher.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

mcsnare

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2007, 10:41:23 AM »

Brad, Jan Folkson, Dave-G, Fossie, me and a bunch of others had dinner last night. A fun time was had by all.
Dave

compasspnt

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2007, 01:16:53 PM »

Where ARE you guys?

I have walked up and down, all around, and haven't seen any of you.

Oh...I'm here in the control room mixing.

Never mind.

Have a good time.

Roundbadge

Sontec @ AES
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2007, 05:07:53 PM »

A buddy just sent me this from AES

anyone there check see whats up?
Hunter F. C.

mcsnare

Re: Sontec @ AES
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2007, 10:41:37 PM »

I sat and chatted with Burgess for almost an hour. He seems to have sorted out any past issues and is full speed ahead. He is introducing a new twist on the 430 series that allows them to sound like the 250 series with the flip of a switch. We'll see how long it takes to actually deliver the units. I've been on a waiting list for about 3 months......
Dave

Ed Littman

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2007, 01:40:12 AM »

mcsnare wrote on Sat, 06 October 2007 22:41

I sat and chatted with Burgess for almost an hour. He seems to have sorted out any past issues and is full speed ahead. He is introducing a new twist on the 430 series that allows them to sound like the 250 series with the flip of a switch. We'll see how long it takes to actually deliver the units. I've been on a waiting list for about 3 months......
Dave

To me this was the most interesting of the offerings at aes.
Burgess offers many configurations to the eq. The one I would be most interested is the MES-432D9. three parametric bands, two fixed shelves +/- 9db (6 x.05db + 6 x 1db)increments.
price...$8,200

while building the eq you can have the unit prepared for the Duo compatibility(switch btn. sontec or iti) for $250 a channel or $350 after delivery.
The extra eq modules for the sontec or iti are $2800

so for $11500 & probably a long wait you get one box with two eq's in them. Burgess does use new electronics & states he has a supply of new oldstock transistors that retains the classic sontec sound.

sorry I missed ya dave.
Ed

Matt_G

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2007, 08:28:23 AM »

Does Burgess have a website up yet?

Matt
Matthew Gray Mastering

Brisbane Australia
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 18 queries.