R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: AES 2007 updates  (Read 35966 times)

TotalSonic

Re: AES 2007 updates
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2007, 10:37:38 PM »

mcsnare wrote on Mon, 08 October 2007 22:10

I finally got to play with the Elysia Alpha comp. Extremely impressive box. It's was clean but not boring.

Agreed.  It's hard to make any decent evaluation on the AES floor but the feature set and implementation was really top notch on it - and there was nothing "boring" about it as far I heard.  Not really something I can justify as within my budget right now - but definitely it got put on my wish list.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

TotalSonic

« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2007, 10:45:34 PM »

crna59 wrote on Mon, 08 October 2007 21:34

Paul Stubblebine anounced a new project (www.tapeproject), that will supply master quality 1/4" half-track tape to any individual that wants to pay for it.

http://www.tapeproject.com
Interesting stuff - they're releasing albums on 1/4" 15ips 2-track transferred from 1" 2-track masters.

$329 for a single release that they seem to be asking for (unless you want a $1200 yearly subscription for 10 annual releases - a lot of which didn't really grab my interest) is a bit steep for me - although maybe I could justify it for Sonny Rollins "Saxophone Collosus" or Bill Evans "Waltz for Debby" just to have a reference here.

Quote:

Great to see NY for the first time.....  THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE HOME!!!

Agreed! -  especially since NYC is my home!  I really have enjoyed my trips to the Puget Sound area though - Orcas Island is especially beautiful.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Phil Demetro

« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2007, 11:21:01 PM »

I had a lot more fun at this year's AES than the last one in NYC.

So much great food, good looking women, and smart-ass mastering engineers.

The mood was great. Had some interesting short and not so short run-ins with these cool people - Joe Palmaccio, David Glasser, Dominic Maita, Ed Littman, Phillip Sztenderowich, Chris Athens, Jay Franco, Ray Janos, Albert Grundy, Howie Weinberg, Chris & Jenn Muth, Tom Coyne, Michael Jackson, Barry Wolifson, Chris Gehringer, Brad Blackwood, Burgess MacNeal, Oliver Neumann, etc....

I was most excited by an upcoming version of Sequoia. Some big and small Griffin Loudspeakers were sounding pretty great in a shitty little room. Tons of good stuff out there (but I can't say I'm too excited about buying much else that I saw). I'm done with buying gear for now.

A great way to start off the trip:  a fun visit to my favorite large box store   - Sterling Sound. (Chelsea Market didn't suck either)
I only caught one panel - the New Media one hosted by Joe Palmaccio (made a great impression) and Gavin Lurssen, Chris Athens and Andrew Mendelson.  After about 10 minutes the new media thing got dumped and the war stories came out.  "dearly beloved...."
You had to be there

Noah Mintz

« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2007, 12:22:29 AM »

Phil Demetro wrote on Mon, 08 October 2007 23:21

...Tom Coyne, Michael Jackson, Barry Wolifson...

Holy shit. You met Barry?

Noah Mintz Mastering at Lacquer Channel http://www.lacquerchannel.com

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2007, 01:14:46 AM »

bblackwood wrote on Mon, 08 October 2007 15:05

As a quick update, I had the pleasure of sitting on a mastering panel Sunday moderated by Bob Ludwig that included Greg Calbi, Tim Young, Gavin Lurssen and Paul Stubblebine - it was humbling to be among so many accomplished veterans. I enjoyed the experience and got to meet several people afterwards I hadn't previously had the chance to. All in all a very positive experience. Kudos to Bob and the rest of the panel!  

Very Cool Brad, and congrats on being included in the "big dogs" of mastering panel.

All my encounters with Bob Ludwig over the last few years have been very positive.

JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

Gold

« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2007, 08:05:46 AM »

Noah Mintz wrote on Tue, 09 October 2007 00:22

Have you guys been using the test record or have you stuck with the NAB?
Paul Gold
www.saltmastering.com

On the silk road, looking for uranium.

bblackwood

« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2007, 08:32:35 AM »

I don't recall seeing it mentioned, but I just remembered the translation software being offered by SSL - it can translate from/to any DAW (except Radar, for now) and has some great features for getting audio from one platform to another. Didn't see a full demo, but what I saw was very impressive. I think it's going to sell @ $600, so not expensive...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

D Harris

« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2007, 09:04:05 AM »

It was definitely great to see Brad on the Platinum Mastering Engineers Panel.  Congrats!
Dave Harris
 Studio B Mastering

TotalSonic

« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2007, 01:03:11 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Tue, 09 October 2007 08:32

I don't recall seeing it mentioned, but I just remembered the translation software being offered by SSL - it can translate from/to any DAW (except Radar, for now) and has some great features for getting audio from one platform to another. Didn't see a full demo, but what I saw was very impressive. I think it's going to sell @ $600, so not expensive...

http://www.solid-state-logic.com/news/Pro_Convert.html

A video is at:  http://www.sonicstate.com/news/shownews.cfm?newsid=5384

This has been around for a good while already as "EDL Convert Pro 4" from the company that SSL bought out - CuiBono Soft - http://www.cuibono-soft.com

What IS new is that they have apparently reverse engineered the ProTools 7.x session file format (it was previously stuck at version 5.x) so that it will become a much more useful tool - plus they're apparently going to have a dedicated team keeping it updated for all the other various DAW formats as well.

I've heard from a pretty reliable source that the price is actually going to be closer to $700.

Anyway - I was thinking of buying an Mbox or such so that I could have PT LE in order to be able to consolidate tracks when receiving PT session files as I have clients who once in a blue moon want me to open them - but this might be an alternative solution that allows even wider compatibility.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

TotalSonic

« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2007, 01:04:36 PM »

Gold wrote on Tue, 09 October 2007 08:05

Speaking of which - where can I get a NAB turntable calibration record these days?

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Phil Demetro

« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2007, 01:15:55 PM »

Gold wrote on Tue, 09 October 2007 08:05

We're using the new test record but haven't fully gone through the lathe with it yet. Also used it to set up my Mastering lab/Shefield Labs phone pre.

An indispensable purchase so far....

Gold

« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2007, 04:20:11 PM »

TotalSonic wrote on Tue, 09 October 2007 13:04

Speaking of which - where can I get a NAB turntable calibration record these days?

Unubtanium unless you find a used one. If you need a test record get this one. http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=3 5532&section=

You should have snagged one while you had the chance.
Paul Gold
www.saltmastering.com

On the silk road, looking for uranium.

TotalSonic

« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2007, 04:38:58 PM »

Gold wrote on Tue, 09 October 2007 16:20

TotalSonic wrote on Tue, 09 October 2007 13:04

Unubtanium unless you find a used one. If you need a test record get this one.   http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=3 5532&section=

You should have snagged one while you had the chance.

It was an oversight - I was being honest and didn't just walk out with anything that wasn't mine after Europadisk closed - and then I thought there was one in the case of odds and ends I won at the auction (that did have things like the MCI 1/2" head stack in it) but there wasn't.

Thanks for the link - $40 isn't that bad of a price and at least it will be scratch/pop free relative to getting something used.
It's back ordered on the site you linked but seems to be in stock here:  http://www.elusivedisc.com/prodinfo.asp?number=APLPTEST

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Mark Wilder

« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2007, 10:23:34 AM »

It seems that we've all gravitated to the same booths, more or less.  The only other device that peaked my interest is the new Antelope Audio Isocrone 10M clock source.  I really liked the OCX-V so I can only imagine what this addition will be like.  I'm hoping for a demo in a few months.  When that happens, I'll let you know.
Mark Wilder

zmix

« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2007, 10:38:49 AM »

Mark Wilder wrote on Wed, 10 October 2007 10:23

It seems that we've all gravitated to the same booths, more or less.  The only other device that peaked my interest is the new Antelope Audio Isocrone 10M clock source.  I really liked the OCX-V so I can only imagine what this addition will be like.  I'm hoping for a demo in a few months.  When that happens, I'll let you know.

Mark,
 I listened to the Isocrone 10M yesterday at two different studios. Igor Levin had just flown in to the city Tuesday(from the Ukraine?) and was quite jetlagged.
We listened to a variety of material and I will say that the results were positively detectable and sometimes quite interesting, The 10M seemed to make the most difference on 'cheaper' converters. Ironic, since it costs $6000.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 21 queries.