R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another question about subs.....  (Read 1954 times)

OTR-jkl

Another question about subs.....
« on: April 22, 2008, 10:02:43 AM »

Should I de-couple them from the floor? Obviously, the right answer is which way gives me the right freq response. Are yours on blocks or on the floor? I've been thinking I should get a couple of pieces of marble to set them on to see if that would give me a tighter bottom end. Will that even accomplish this goal?

What are you doing in this regard? Thanks for any input/suggestions...
J Lowes ยท OTR Mastering
Professional Audio Production for Life
www.ShoutLife.com/OTRMastering

Dave Davis

Re: Another question about subs.....
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 10:52:44 AM »

Decoupling from the structure is great, but a couple slabs of marble won't git 'r done.  At least not very well.  If you're dead set on big rocks, you'd be better off with rubber layers between the floor and the marble, and the marble and the cabinet.  Many subs come with feet that address this variously...  In some dedicated rooms there are isolated slabs or sand traps in the floor.

I think isolating subs from the floor helps you make better judgments, but it might be less fun and impressive for clients, depending on genre.  Some rappers rely on resonance and room excitation as a way of deciding when there's "enough" thump.  In flat, non-resonating rooms these folks have a tough time with that call.  More of a mix issue, but can matter in terms of attendance... the best fix for that is a separate listening room.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.