R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: One-Trick Pony Mics - and other uses  (Read 3222 times)

hargerst

One-Trick Pony Mics - and other uses
« on: April 30, 2004, 07:35:49 PM »

Okay, since we touched upon this in the other thread, let's talk about the usual one-trick pony mics and how we can get some more milage out of them.

High impedance harmonica mics. Try them for vocals thru a guitar amp to add some grit to the vocals.

The D112 kick mic is also a great bass amp mic, and it's usable on some vocals, believe it or not.

Okay, there's two I can think of off the top of my head.  Let's hear about some others.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

oudplayer

Re: One-Trick Pony Mics - and other uses
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2004, 12:12:33 AM »

Strangest "reverb" in the world:

If you have a 2"+ diameter metal pipe in the tracking room, such as a hand-rail, try sticking some of those cheap EV omnis in them and recording the signal they pick up as if they were a "room" mic.
"BTW. You don't REALLY believe digital sounds like "SOURCE".... do you?

Because that would make you a insuperable paragon of nincompoopery." -Slipperman

John Ivan

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2004, 01:21:47 PM »

Hey All:

I've mentioned PZM's before. Here's one that can be fun. I like to take the Drum buss and ship it out to a power amp and a set of big PA speakers and mic the room in stereo. It's good if you have a Garage or a pole barn. This can create a HUGE room sound. I've used small condensers {cardioid} PZM's, Omnis. 57's, ..Try different mics. You can also put an EQ in line to help shape the boxes. I got this Idea a long time ago in an interview with Eddy VanHalen. I forget where I read it though.
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

luke

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2004, 08:51:44 PM »

don't know of to many 1-trick-ponys however that last idea with micing the room with speakers in it is pretty cool. I actually did this once for a demo i recorded. i miced the band up as much as i could and had them play for a while through the pa until i got the sound i was looking for. then i put 2 overhead condenser mics in the room and panned them stereo. it was hard to believe how good and real it sounded after we were done. oddly enough it was the drums that came out sounding the best. oh i just thought of one . rta mics that are used to pink rooms and pa's with work pretty good as overhead mics as well. i guess since you know that they are pretty flat from 20-20 it takes alot of the guess work out of the eq'ing, n-e-ways it sounds alright and it pics up some of the room with it so it has a feel to it that you won't have to add later.
I don't understand how you can't hear your self

Warhead

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2004, 06:58:54 PM »

I've found lately that the AT804 omni dynamic is a very nice and easy guitar amp mic. No proximity effect and easy to position, but its response pattern is very well suited to amps. Would work well on bass amps also, and have gotten some decent sounds out of some kick drums with it.

War
Warren Dent
Owner: ZenPro Audio
www.ZenProAudio.com

Zoesch

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2004, 10:04:43 PM »

Speaking of the D112... my two main kick mics (SM7a and Audix D6) are excellent for screamer/growler vocalists as well (Better than the usual dynamics and obviously better suited than most condensers).
It has always been Ringo's fault

Kooch

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2004, 01:39:12 PM »

Another use for high-impedance harmonica mics is as an under-snare mic!  Really --they work well when you want the undersnare sound, but a "better" mic sounds too artificial and present.  It can also be useful for sending the sound through a PA or guitar amp and getting a less-than-realistic, trashy sounding snare.

Also--try taping your PZM to an acoustic guitar.....Tell the guy to walk around your place until it sounds cool.

-------
The Kooch
Rock and Roll Scholar and Gentleman

Buzz

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2004, 08:11:36 PM »

A couple of things I've tried in the past , set up my kitchen as a reverb chamber ( fed the signal thru an amp to a monitor and set up 2 mics for various pickup points ) worked fairly well , not much time control but ???

used a pipe to mic thru on guitar , 3" pipe about 6' long up near the speaker of the amp for that tubular sound.

Also tried micing a guitar amp thru the heater vents , placed the amp on a ladder an miced the other heater vent ????? weird sound

also used a large industrial space with lots of windows and drywall as a guitar micing space VERY large sound very far away

Later
Buzz

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 18 queries.