R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: best "indie rock" engineer.....  (Read 14470 times)

TheViking

Re: best "indie rock" engineer.....
« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2005, 12:04:27 PM »

funkcore wrote on Sun, 09 October 2005 18:09

I gotta mention Brian Mcternan, he's done everything from super spacey, effect heavy albums (Cave In's "Jupiter") to straight, very dry punk metal (Thrice's "The Illusion of Safety"). He might be a little out of place on this list because he does bands that are more in the hardcore/ punk scene, but each of the albums he works on are very varied and I think he does a great job producing, tracking, and mixing the albums he works on.

Dito...   Brian McTernan is often overlooked and he definately is a guy who I look up to as a producer and engineer.   'Illusion of Safety' is awesome!!!   It's not even the kind of music that I normally am into but the way that record is presented is really refreshing.

There is a band from around here called This Day & Age that's gaining some momentum on the national level and they worked with Ed Rose.   My band played a bunch of shows with TD&A right before they cut their record at Blacklodge.   Good live band - lots of energy and big rock sound.   I got the record Ed did and was like 'who sucked out all the rock?' - the record was very safe and almost produced like a pop record.   I guess after hearing the band rock out all those times, I wasn't expecting to hear such a drastic change.   I feel the same way about the Long Since Forgotten records.   Ed's definately got game, don't get me wrong.   I like a lot of his records (i.e. Brandston, The New Amsterdams, The Anniversary).   I just think that sometimes he can be a bit 'one dimensional' in the sense that when you work with him, you get pushed through his 'sound' and his 'thing'.

I also think a lot of it has to do with seeing the bands play live.   I don't know if a lot of producers actually go out and sees a lot of the bands they work with play live before they cut their records.   I know I do.   I know a lot of bands that have worked with 'producers' like Ed that have told me the producer has never seen them play live.   This doesn't make any sense to me.   How can a producer present an artist correctly without ever seeing the band perform?

Oh, and I also agree...   Trombino rules!  

Is this thing on?

Kevin Bruchert / The Viking
www.myspace.com/thevikingproducer

Josht

« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2005, 11:41:53 PM »

rollmottle wrote on Sun, 09 October 2005 15:06

John McEntire.

I like what he did with the new Teenage Fanclub album a lot. I also like Craig Pilkington's work with the Lucksmiths.

littlehat

« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2005, 02:15:13 AM »

David Bazan - Pedro the Lion - Control

I keep coming back to this record for how good the wrong sounds can sound together.
Push the RED button!

TheViking

« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2005, 10:54:21 AM »

littlehat wrote on Mon, 24 October 2005 02:15

David Bazan - Pedro the Lion - Control

I keep coming back to this record for how good the wrong sounds can sound together.

Actually, I believe Aaron Sprinkle produced 'Control'.   It's one of Aaron's few records that actually have 'vibe' IMO.

David is an amazing writer and all of his records have 'his sound' to them that really draws people into it.   I think production-wise, with him you just kinda let him do his thing and make sure you have all your mics and settings in place to capture his 'moments'.   I'd love to have the opportunity to record his genious someday.

He's a storyteller and I love his work.
Is this thing on?

j.hall

« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2005, 11:04:58 AM »

i don't believe aaron is credited on the record.  

speaking of Pedro's Control.....that record should have been called, "Compressed"

TheViking

« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2005, 11:23:09 AM »

Aaron and David both engineered and mixed Control.   So I guess you could say they were co-producers since no named producer is sited on the album artwork.   My assistant actually knows Aaron pretty well and I guess from hearing him talk about that record often to me, I just assumed Aaron produced it as well.   There are very few records that Aaron works on that he isn't the producer of.   Pardon my confusion.
Is this thing on?

adam_w

« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2005, 12:06:56 PM »

Martin Hannett...

is unfortunately, quite dead.  Crying or Very Sad

Jacob Eli

« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2006, 09:13:50 PM »

meverylame wrote on Sun, 02 May 2004 16:37

chickenbop wrote on Sat, 01 May 2004 21:58

Wilco's sound used to be real thick-like a.m.'s and being there's guitars and drums sounded awesome.But the crap sound on yankee hotel makes me want to puke.The sound of the guitars on yhft sound like they should be from some bad singer-songwriter in the '70's.Like cat stevens or jim croce I think?

Really? I'm a rather large fan of the sound on YHF. I think that both Chris Brickley and Jim O'Rourke did a fine job on the record.

Agreed on the second account. YHF has to be one of my favorite records ever.  I love the sounds.  Very natural...very real.  Lately I am enjoying A Ghost Is Born quite a lot also.  Does anybody have any insight on mic set-ups for this record.  Especially drums?  Was the overhead mono?

Thanks!

Jake

1gibsonMO

« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2006, 03:02:24 AM »

Chris Walla anyone???  I think what he does with his own band has been pretty cool!  (Indie... hmmmm)

Fridman...  Mogwai

A vote for Matt Goldman....  

A side note, I just saw copeland last month and thought the vox were solid (minus 12 tracks or harmonies, but come on, they are not the polyphonic spree..... at least not live  Razz

ja

bloodstone

« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2006, 06:44:20 AM »

Don't know if he counts as "indie" anymore, but I think Flood does an incredible job.  

Espen Hvitløksdressing

« Reply #70 on: May 08, 2006, 10:52:08 AM »

I am not sure who produced it, but Operatic's "Killing Us Is Easy" sounds really good to me.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 19 queries.