R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: best "indie rock" engineer.....  (Read 14471 times)

cominginsecond

Re: best "indie rock" engineer.....
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2004, 02:06:12 PM »

On the BTS records he is able to stack track after track of guitar without completely submerging any of them. Each guitar track is where it needs to be in the mix. Also, I really think the mixes on the last three BTS records sound really big and nice. I wasn't too fond of the drum sound on Perfect From Now On (the snare seemed a little thin to me), but other than that, the BTS records sound amazing to me. I just think he does a great job with guitars.

Meriphew

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2004, 03:07:00 PM »

j.hall wrote on Mon, 24 May 2004 07:16

Meriphew wrote on Fri, 21 May 2004 18:09

Kip Beelman (Sleater-Kinney, Maktub, Damien Jurado, The Long Winters).

beelman RULES

I think so too. I'm going to have him mix my next release.

carne_de_res

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2004, 04:51:56 PM »

[quote title=Meriphew wrote on Sat, 22 May 2004 01:09]

Craig Schumacher (Calexico)

Calexico records sound amazing to me,especially "Black Light".
Nina Nastasia's "The blackened air",recorded by Steve Albini,is
also a personal favourite.
damn,i wish the stuff i record sounded half that natural!

"will record for food"

Rivers

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2004, 12:01:36 AM »

I've been digging Thom Monahan stuff with the Pernice Brothers and Bigger Lovers,also Chris Walla with some of the Death cab for cutie stuff and Brian Deck/Moderst Mouse for the Moon and Antartica.

Cellar door is damn cool.
I've always enjoyed Eck stuff with BTS...which Modest Mouse did he work on?
Smell the Magic
http://www.katp.com

Claudio Leite

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2004, 10:35:21 AM »

I'll agree with Ed Rose and TGUK sounding a bit flat. On Guilt Show, some of the tracks sound markedly better than others, for example 'Holy Roman' sounds quite good to me, whereas 'Man of Conviction' sounds thin and just plain bad. I've seem them live and their sound was rather good, but I do think they're a little to blame for their sound.

I do like the older stuff Ed Rose did with the Appleseed Cast - Mare Vitalis and the two Low Level Owl albums. I can't say I'm a huge fan of his work on the latest Cast album.

j.hall

« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2004, 11:23:47 AM »

the problem i see with phil eck is that he's perfect for built to spill, but everything is is mixed perfectly for built to spill.......it just doesn't always work

his work with modest mouse i do enjoy.  and i like how he presents the band as a little weirder then they are.....which for them, is pretty weird....hahaha

the mixes just have no lowend

same with ed rose.....no lowend

with ed, the mixes are balanced really well until you get to the vocal.....it's mixed so far back you might as well have not cut a vocal track.

i've often thought of ed's work as "close but no cigar" to earlier andy wallace mixes

the guitars are loud, in your face and the drums are right there.....great rock balance, but wheres the bass.........

and andy gets the vocal up nice a hot, and has AWESOME reverbs and delays......ed's reverbs sound like bad factory presets

but hey....what do i know.

e_shaun

« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2004, 11:43:39 PM »

I also opt for Steve Albini.  His work with Nina Nastasia is an example of truly stunning engineering, as are many of his other 1000 or so recordings.

Fridmann's work with The Delgados and Mogwai is wonderful as well, in my opinion.

spankenstein

« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2004, 03:21:09 PM »

I like set back vocals. I just don't put much into the words as a whole and just take the vocals as another instrument carrying a melody. I'm happy to hum along with songs and not know the words. That is of course an over generalization as there are some songs that the lyrics really drive it and make me like it but that's defiintely not how things hit me at first.

yodadbl07

« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2004, 06:43:50 PM »

punk = Andy Ernst at The Art of Ears

good

judah

« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2004, 06:42:41 AM »

chickenbop wrote on Sun, 02 May 2004 03:58

Dave fridmann's stuff sounds the coolest but the bands he does seem to be at the same time silly and melodramatic-flaming lips,sparklehorse,etc.Don't get me wrong,I like those bands but I can't listen to them all the time.
Bryce Goggins' records sound real unique-spacehog,pavement.
John Agnello is awesome-the dinosaur jr records he did were great.
I think most indie-rock engineers sound kind of weak.Maybe it's more budget than talent though.
Wilco's sound used to be real thick-like a.m.'s and being there's guitars and drums sounded awesome.But the crap sound on yankee hotel makes me want to puke.The sound of the guitars on yhft sound like they should be from some bad singer-songwriter in the '70's.Like cat stevens or jim croce I think?

Hi all,
just got back after months and months of doin'nothing in the audio field. I thought this one was the best thread to catch back. In my opinion YHF is one of the best sounding album in my small collection. Just got "A ghost is born". Rather dark sounding album. Anyone?

R.
Ronnie Amighetti
DIESEL
Laboratorio di registrazione sonora

"I'm fucking busy and vice versa."
Dolly Parton

craig boychuk

« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2004, 12:33:03 PM »

redelephant wrote on Tue, 04 May 2004 18:44

I think Ed Rose sucks, personally. He has the best stuff at his fingertips and he still can't make The Get Up Kids records sound 'alive'. I'm not talking major label alive, i am talking personable, in your face, you know all that shit. I have listened to most of his stuff including the Casket Lottery and Long Since Forgotten tracks. Still wasn't all that impressed.

I was assisting him on a session here for this pop-punk "band" a couple of years ago. He was doing these ridiculous punch-ins -  syllables of words, singles notes for instruments, etc. Also, used a click track for each song. Very over-analyzed, which is what I think sucked the life out of the project. Perhaps this is what he does as a matter of course, which would explain the lack of personality on other stuff he's done. He monitors very loud, I had to stand far away from those poor ns-10s.

I'm not a fan, but he did get some nice sounds.

And back to the original topic....

BOB WESTON!

Fuck yeah!

Capture the pasture rapture.
www.cbaudio.com

j.hall

« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2004, 01:22:41 PM »

mid-fi wrote on Thu, 08 July 2004 11:33

I was assisting him on a session here for this pop-punk "band" a couple of years ago. He was doing these ridiculous punch-ins -  syllables of words, singles notes for instruments, etc. Also, used a click track for each song. Very over-analyzed, which is what I think sucked the life out of the project.

i've heard this about him as well.....he didn't used to be like that when he was a flag waving analog tape lover

another example of "given the power of PT, he WILL abuse it"

Quote:

He monitors very loud, I had to stand far away from those poor ns-10s.

NO DOUBT....at this point, it's simply an issue of him being able to hear.....

he's monitoring that loud for MANY years now.....might explain why the mixes have little to no low end.

Quote:

I'm not a fan, but he did get some nice sounds.

no question he gets great guitar sounds

Quote:

BOB WESTON!

Fuck yeah!

speaking of no bass.................

Conner

« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2004, 09:10:05 AM »

I have to tell you, I've been following Matt Goldman's work for the last couple years, and all I can say is he's gotten a lot better. I wasn't a fan of his earlier material, but I did hear that last Copeland record. Very well done. Too bad they sound a little too much like Seven Day Jesus/Matthew/Brian McSweeney.
 Mr. Goldman has stolen alot of the market from the Orlando area, for some reason everyone there really loves his work. Not sure if thats just a budget thing or what. Anyone know more about how this guy operates and how he seems to corner certain markets/regions?

mogwailoveyou

« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2004, 10:25:35 AM »

gtphill wrote on Tue, 18 May 2004 16:39

I've used another album of his, by Florida band Dennison Marrs, as my live "indie rock" tuning CD (I do mostly live mixing) for years.

denison marrs is a talented group, nice fellas too, although i swear the mixing on "oxygen" sounds just like a deftones song (not that there's anything wrong with that...)

as far as good engineers i really like kenneth vaughan thomas' work with sigur ros... so expansive.
mogwai love you and need you

Phillip Graham

« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2004, 04:12:54 PM »

mogwailoveyou wrote on Fri, 09 July 2004 10:25

gtphill wrote on Tue, 18 May 2004 16:39

I've used another album of his, by Florida band Dennison Marrs, as my live "indie rock" tuning CD (I do mostly live mixing) for years.

denison marrs is a talented group, nice fellas too, although i swear the mixing on "oxygen" sounds just like a deftones song (not that there's anything wrong with that...)

as far as good engineers i really like kenneth vaughan thomas' work with sigur ros... so expansive.

"Oxygen" was on the album prior to when Matt Goldman started doing their records.  Matt's first record with them was "World Reknown for Romance" which was the disc I use as a reference.

They had Matt track a second disk (Then is the new now), and then the label had some guy tote his Genelecs into Matt's room and try to mix it.  A mistake, as the record has too much low/low mid energy on it.  Gotta know the space you are mixing in.

Matt's work on Copeland's "Beneath Medicine Tree" is really excellent, too, especially when you see how bad the band is live.
Phillip Graham
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 21 queries.