R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mutant y-cord for mid/side difference channel  (Read 2757 times)

ted nightshade

mutant y-cord for mid/side difference channel
« on: April 30, 2004, 01:14:59 PM »

Hi,

I have these 5 to 1 unbalanced tube mixers (Manley Purist Mixers)I want to use to decode mid/side recordings. You use two of the things for stereo- one for L, one for R.

There are no polarity switches, and each input has it's own input grid, for what it's worth.

Everything in the whole picture is unbalanced.

It's all very straightforward except of course I need to flip the polarity to one input for the -side part.

I'm thinking:
One y-cord from the mid track to an input on each mixer. So far so good.

One y-cord from the side track to an input on the L mixer, the other output of the y-cord to an input on the R mixer. Only, the output of the y-cord to the input of the R mixer needs the polarity flipped, for -side. Can this be done as easily as rewiring that end of the y-cable to flip the polarity? Or is that liable to cause a problem?

Thanks... hope this is fully intelligible...
Ted Nightshade aka Cowan

There's a sex industry too.
Or maybe you prefer home cookin'?

John Klett

Re: mutant y-cord for mid/side difference channel
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2004, 12:56:50 PM »

You can't do a simple Y cord and flip phase so that one unbalanced input gets a signal in phase and the other unbalanced input gets in reversed phase because the Y cable will bring the common ground side of one input to the signal side of the other input and short out the signal all together.  

In order to get your Phase + and phase minus signals you need to have an active circuit front that does the phase inversion or a transformer with a split secondary or three windings.  If you want to stay with tooobes you can do this with a phase splitter...  you can read about these at the follwoing links and maybe talk to Hutch at Manley about the possibility of jamming one of these into your mixer.  It looked to me like there was a lot of room in that box and maybe you can grab plate and filament supplies for the spitter from the supply in the mixer...  who knows...

http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~mmccorq/tubes/introduction/introd uction.html

http://hhscott.com/cc/phase_inverter_tubes.htm

http://www.dogstar.dantimax.dk/tubestuf/paraph.htm

have funn

John Klett / Tech Mecca
http://www.technicalaudio.com

ted nightshade

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2004, 12:13:40 PM »

Alright, looks like I got my homework cut out for me again! Thanks much for the links, and saving me one failed experiment.
Ted Nightshade aka Cowan

Gunnar Hellqvist

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2004, 04:52:42 AM »

Ted,
   this is is a bit off what I really know. But it might be that the input signal goes through a transformer inside the tube mixer box. In that case you could open up the box and reverse either the inputs or the outputs of the transformer. This would give you a permanently "inverse" channel, which might be what you want.

Gunnar Hellquist
real amateur

ted nightshade

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2004, 09:29:50 PM »

Gunnar Hellqvist wrote on Sat, 15 May 2004 01:52

Ted,
   this is is a bit off what I really know. But it might be that the input signal goes through a transformer inside the tube mixer box. In that case you could open up the box and reverse either the inputs or the outputs of the transformer. This would give you a permanently "inverse" channel, which might be what you want.

Thanks, Gunnar, but it's a transformerless type.

Whatever I do to the -S input, I will want to do to the +S input too (but not flipping the polarity), to keep things in balanced... Can't decide if I want to make it a permanent part of the box, or have a separate polarity flip box just for m/s occasions. I have 5 inputs, and 4 tracks, so I could spare a channel for something dedicated.

This one's on the back burner for now, but I will be getting back into this one soon.
Ted Nightshade aka Cowan

Buzz

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2004, 07:06:58 PM »

Just use a direct box and an inverted xlr cable !!!!  

Later
Buzz

Geoff Doane

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2004, 12:01:54 PM »

What is the source of the "side" track.  If it's balanced, you may be able to run pin 2 to the left mixer, and pin 3 to the right, and get the phase inversion that way.  If it's a floating balanced output, you might need to add a couple resistors from pins 2 and 3 to ground to create a pseudo center tap.

What are these mixers, BTW.  5 grids in one tube, or 5 tubes?

Geoff Doane

ted nightshade

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2004, 09:21:49 AM »

cbc6403 wrote on Wed, 09 June 2004 09:01

What is the source of the "side" track.  If it's balanced, you may be able to run pin 2 to the left mixer, and pin 3 to the right, and get the phase inversion that way.  If it's a floating balanced output, you might need to add a couple resistors from pins 2 and 3 to ground to create a pseudo center tap.

What are these mixers, BTW.  5 grids in one tube, or 5 tubes?

Geoff Doane

Unbalanced out of the mic pre, so far...

There are 3 12AU7's and a 6414 in each mixer... each channel and the monitor send get half a 12AU7. Each channel has it's own input grid, whatever that means...
Ted Nightshade aka Cowan

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 16 queries.