R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto Tune Tips and Tricks  (Read 20338 times)

Working Musician

Auto Tune Tips and Tricks
« on: April 30, 2004, 09:32:09 AM »

Hello:

Have used autotune 3.27 for a few months now and have fixed the occasional flat note or two.

However, I have a client who needs a SERIOUS vocal overhaul and I'm looking to see if there are any tricks to making this daunting task any easier.

I'm using in graphic mode (auto is pretty lame) in Nuendo 2.1.1.28.

Any suggestions or opinions are welcome. Re singing the parts is not an option Laughing  I don't think I could take it.

Thanks  
Regards
MJB

Working Musician

Re: Auto Tune Tips and Tricks
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2004, 10:17:09 AM »

BTW, sorry if this is not the correct forum for this topic.....
Regards
MJB

Fibes

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2004, 11:14:23 AM »

This is prolly the right spot for it. Most of us either don't use autotune, won't admit to it, or have the assistant do all the work. You can fix pitch with it but you can't make a great performance. Good luck, I only use it for a syllable for a few cents...
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

j.hall

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2004, 03:34:11 PM »

i haven't used auto tune in 3 years since i switched back to only working in analog, or coming direct out of a DAW

i'm surprised only fibes has posted to this thread.

this is the right spot for your question.

i'll bet more people on this forum use it, then don't.

meverylame

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2004, 05:10:11 PM »

How bad is is it? Are we talking quarter step off, or like not even the right note? What all have you tried doing? Lastly what type of music is it?
Cheers!
Jason Kingsland

http://www.jasonruinsrecords.com

Fibes

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2004, 11:07:35 AM »

Last night i used Autotune on the right and left (both set different) sides of a vocal delay to get that modern rock modulation thing happening. It may be pretty cool, we'll see a little later...
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

otek

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2004, 09:14:23 AM »

A thing I've used a couple of times is throwing AT up on an FX return such as a delay (before the actual delay FX).

The delay bounces are really clean, and stabilizes the vocal performance even if you're not tuning the vocal itself.

As for editing with AT, there really are no shortcuts per se if you want it to sound natural. I usually hit the phrase with a good pitch shifting algorithm first, and then clean up whatever syllable or phrase partial I need to with AT. The pitch program is often necessary with material that really needs work.

I have just gotten Melodyne, can't wait to see how it performs.
Behr*nger - Just say "nein"

- dwoz

Greg Thompson

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2004, 11:21:38 AM »

Here's a couple of different ways I work and have been seeing other folks work with AT in graphical mode:

1)  Select a phrase of about 15 seconds, record it in and then do "make curve" where AT just traces your singers exact pitch.  Then look and see (with your eyes and ears) which notes are being scooped too much, where they're going flat, etc.  Usually it's just a note here and there.  I'll get the "freehand drawing tool" out and just make a slight dot at the beginning and end of a spot I want to fix.  (Doing that frees that section to be manipulated without dragging the pitch of the rest of the phrase.)  Sometimes the line has a natural break to it (where there's a breath or other pause) and I don't need to separate it with the freehand line tool.  I'll go with the grabber tool and grab the end of the phrase that needs the work, and yank and stretch it around until it fits what sounds good.  Sometimes I'll leave a bad note in there if it's just simply too unnatural sounding to get it to a good note.  I'll also mine around other places to see if I got a better performance of that one stellar note that I can paste in there.  Generally those notes are passing tones in a run and get forgotten quickly in the grand scheme of the song.  

2)  When I'm in a hurry to burn through a bunch of vocals, I'll set the key as best as I can in the auto window, then go over to graphical, select my phrases, hit "make auto" and just manually clean up the little squirrely parts where the singer lands halfway between 2 notes (and Autotune wants you to get your money's worth, so it pitches you up and down to get both notes) and do basic damage control fixing.

3)  When I'm in a bigger hurry than that, I'll bounce the track to another using autotune in auto mode, then I'll go back and fix any sections with graphical mode if there were any warbles or burbles, or repitching to not quite the right note.

4)  I've seen other folks work in such a way that they grab a large section of audio (up to most of a verse or chorus) Then go in with the line tool and draw stair-step the exact melody the singer "should" have been singing.  (if the singer were a midi device)  Then go and adjust the retune speed knob.  Start with the numbers down way low (where you'll have the robotic sound) and adjust it higher (slower retune speed) until the vocal sounds natural.  You want to find a happy medium between robotic and AT getting around to actually tuning the note.

I'm a Protools user, so here's some PT specific notes:

I never use Audiosuite simply because my processor seems to be too slow for working with it in graphical mode.   I have a friend with a computer that runs 2x as fast as mine and has no problems working with it in Audiosuite.
Instead, I route my track with AT inserted on it through a bus and bounce to another (adjacent) track.

After fixing the entire track, I'll go and listen for pops at region boundaries and fix them with fades and nudging regions around.

When I'm done tuning a vocal, I make at least 2 playlists on the vocal track.  1 of the original vocal comp and 1 with autotune printed on it with the regions consolidated.  That way I can quickly find the original vocal.  If the singer still thinks the note sounds funny (usually there's more than just pitch wrong with sour notes) I can also quickly show them the before/after.  Or if they think they can hear the autotune artifacts (or if I hear a blurp that I didn't catch earlier) I can grab the original, fix it and slug it back into the final comp quickly.

Hope this is of some use.

Greg Thompson

rwhitney

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2004, 04:21:37 PM »

On a related topic, I've just started using Celemony's Melodyne software for pirch correction and many other things. I think it does a better job than AT, though it requires more time to learn, and costs more.  Well designed program, though.
Ross Whitney
rwhitney@uci.edu

Tim Gilles

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2004, 03:00:02 PM »

Hey Greg.

Thanx for the suggestions.

Greatly appreciated.

Best regards.

Rumblefish

inukshuk

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2004, 06:51:40 PM »

Working Musician wrote on Fri, 30 April 2004 09:32

Hello:

Have used autotune 3.27 for a few months now and have fixed the occasional flat note or two.

However, I have a client who needs a SERIOUS vocal overhaul and I'm looking to see if there are any tricks to making this daunting task any easier.

I'm using in graphic mode (auto is pretty lame) in Nuendo 2.1.1.28.

Any suggestions or opinions are welcome. Re singing the parts is not an option Laughing  I don't think I could take it.

Thanks  

In auto mode if he-she is in a scale of major or minor try setting the "RETUNE" to 50, and if that doesn't work set your scale to chromatic and RETUNE to 20. For me this usually works. If that doesn't work get them to practice-practice-practice.

You can always pas through chromatic and RETUNE to 20 and bounce and come back in and do it again now in normal major or minor at 20 retune. I have done this before as well with success.

Cool  Razz
Dual G4, 1.42GHZ, 2,048 ram, Panther, D.P. 4.12, PowerCore, RestorationSuite, Voice Modeler, Assimilator, Auto-Tune4, PowerCouple, PSP MasterQ, Vintage Warmer, MixPack, UAD-1, Pultec-Pro, Fairchild 670, Blue Tubes Bundle, motu 24 i/o, 896 HD.

wade

AUTO-TUNE TIMING NIGHTMARE!!!
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2004, 10:27:37 PM »

I'm using Auto-tune 1.55 in DP3.11, and when I use it in Automatic mode, the delay it gives the track is hideous--not 4 milliseconds, which Antares considers acceptable--I'm talking about a ridiculous delay that makes the song sound retarded.  What gives?!  Pleas help!  When I use it in Manual mode, when I try to bus the tuned track to a new track, the timing is all screwed, ESPECIALLY the first word.  So I undo it and try it again, and it's screwed but to a different degree.  Every time I try to record the tuned version to its own track (sometimes it takes maybe 25 attempts to make it work), the timing is different for each syllable than the time before.  Anyone know what to do?

compasspnt

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2005, 07:51:36 PM »

Of course you could do it the "New Nashville Way" and just draw straight lines.

fj

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2005, 07:50:16 PM »

Hats off to you, Greg Thompson. That's a more articulate reply than anything Antares ever gave me.

Joe Crawford

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2005, 02:54:31 PM »

I totally agree with fj: “Hats off to you, Greg Thompson!”

I had a lady in here last summer that couldn’t carry a tune in a bucket.  So, being the nice guy that I am, I downloaded the trial version of AT.  It took me about three solid (i.e., 10 to 12 hour) days of hair pullin’ (and I don’t have much left to pull) to develop (stumble on?) the techniques Greg so easily presents in his post.   Even then, after a week or so’s work, it still took about 4 or 5 hours per song to get her half-way sounding on-key.  After that fiasco, I deleted the trial version of AT and just wrote it all off to experience.

Joe Crawford
Stony Mountain Studio
Shanks, WV  26761

groovietuner

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2005, 11:25:19 PM »

I know this post goes back a bit in time, but I thought I'd throw in my two cents for those looking through the posts (like me).

Auto-tune has a feature that follows a midi file to get the appropriate pitch to tune to.  It may be easier for a really messed up track to go through and create the midi file.  It's also an easy way to create the robo effect, just have the "singer" stay on one pitch and have auto tune follow the midi.

theo mack

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2005, 11:28:42 PM »

You need to decide if you want to spend hours tuning a bad vocal or spend hours in a vocal session getting it right line by line.

If you do go the AT route, graphic mode one phrase at a time.

The new melodyne uno is also worth checking out. I am considering going over to uno and leaving at behind.
theo mack
Freelance Audio Guy

Las Vegas, NV.

Vertigo

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2005, 03:26:43 PM »

I only use it on words or phrases that need it. I'll snip the line (I'm a Nuendo user), go into Automatic mode (Chromatic), and then Preview so I can watch the piano and see what's going on with the notes. I'll find which note he's hitting wrong and mute it out, along with the unnecessary notes either above or below it (depending on where I want it to go). Then it's just a couple of quick tweaks to the Retune and Choosiness, print, and DONE. With practice all of this takes less than a minute.

I also find AT VERY handy on guitar solos with pitchy bends...

-Lance

peyemp

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2005, 02:21:35 AM »

The best way to "Autotune" something something in my humble opinion is to use Celemony Melodyne.  

Cheecher

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2005, 04:05:24 PM »

Fibes wrote on Tue, 04 May 2004 10:07

Last night i used Autotune on the right and left (both set different) sides of a vocal delay to get that modern rock modulation thing happening. It may be pretty cool, we'll see a little later...

Fibes:  I did that once on a stacked vocal. I did not like the stacked sound, and had AT on both tracks, but set a little different, and by accident had them both playing but panned. By the time I was done, I had one of the coolest vocal effects I had ever done. I filtered one, and sent it through real verb. I was fairly proud of that discovery.  Very Happy

Hope yours turns out well.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 16 queries.