R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Muff Question  (Read 11636 times)

j.hall

Re: Muff Question
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2007, 01:44:56 PM »

HA, NICE!

RSettee

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2007, 06:53:57 PM »

rob s wrote on Fri, 19 October 2007 00:33

garnet amps that have the stinger section are basically a guitar amp w ith a built in herzog.
in fact BTO got its name from the garnet amp.
Big Time Operator was a 100w model with the stinger as used by randy bachman.
they date back to the mid 60's.
man, they are beasts.  

Garnet amps are great! They were built really well (asides from the speakers which were usually not the best), and eventually in time (some are realizing this now), they're becoming some of the holy grail. A Herzog is certainly becoming a holy grail of sorts (a pre-preamp....a fuzzbox in the guise of a head. Heavy to carry for what's essentially a fuzzbox, but a damned good one). Even a Sessionman or something like that will sting you for some big $$$ these days, if you see one of those for a decent price, pick it up, 'cause you'll likely never see one again, if and when it's not going for insane prices.

Gar Gillies passed away in December of last year...very low key, it wasn't really mentioned that much, which was sad, but he really knew alot about tube amps and I think took a hit to the pocketbook when he still made mostly tube amps in the transistor amp heyday in the 80's. He did make a few models of transistor amps, but his models were mostly tube.

My bandmate has a very, very early Garnet head from the 60's....I don't even think it was an actual model, just an early head. Gar, himself, offered him a grand for it (which my friend declined), someone else offered him 2000 bucks for it, and he wouldn't take it. I'm pretty sure that it's in the thousands of dollars range and is probably within an unknown holy grail....I think Gar said that there were only a few made. Meaning that most people don't even know that it exists....holy grail, indeed.

MagnetoSound

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2007, 11:28:05 AM »

TheViking wrote on Sat, 29 September 2007 06:09

If you get a Big Muff, make sure it looks like this...

index.php/fa/6349/0/

This one, with the big round footswitch, is, I believe, by far the most rugged.

IIRC, the big footswitch button has a spring underneath which presses on a microswitch on the board. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

These microswitches cost only a few pence/cents to replace when they fail, which is no more (probably less) often than the Chinese made switches (or the Mexican ones, for that matter) used on many other pedals.

Music can make me get right up out of my chair and start dancing or it can get me so pumped up I have to walk around the block.
It can also knock me back and make me sit there and cry like a little baby. This shit is as powerful as any drug!!!
- Larry DeVivo

Michael Petkau

« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2007, 04:22:10 AM »

Podgorny wrote on Sun, 30 September 2007 22:23

02R96 wrote on Sun, 30 September 2007 16:41

It's the sound of the guitar on American Woman!

http://www.garnetamps.com/herzog.htm

His (now-vacant) shop is 4 blocks away from me.  His passing last year was sad news ... Gar had been the amp man in these parts for a long long time.

RSettee

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2008, 01:24:00 PM »

pootkao wrote on Fri, 28 December 2007 03:22

Podgorny wrote on Sun, 30 September 2007 22:23

02R96 wrote on Sun, 30 September 2007 16:41

It's the sound of the guitar on American Woman!

http://www.garnetamps.com/herzog.htm

His (now-vacant) shop is 4 blocks away from me.  His passing last year was sad news ... Gar had been the amp man in these parts for a long long time.

Hey, a fellow 'Pegger! I talked to Gar about a month or two before he passed on. He said that he was getting out of the business and moving to Eriksdale, MB. I thought something sounded strange about that, because he had been doing it for so long. I tentatively spoke to him about maybe him making me a Guillotine--he only did them on special order--but obviously that wouldn't be possible now. RIP Gar.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 20 queries.