R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Muff Question  (Read 11634 times)

Podgorny

Re: Muff Question
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2007, 11:23:22 PM »

02R96 wrote on Sun, 30 September 2007 16:41

It's the sound of the guitar on American Woman!

http://www.garnetamps.com/herzog.htm

"Nobody cares what the impedance is; all they care about is when you can walk into the room, set up a mic, turn the knobs, hit record, and make everybody go 'wow.'"

Podgorny

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2007, 11:34:58 PM »

Oh wait, were you talking about the original, or the Lenny Kravitz version?

http://www.line6.com/gearbox_plugin/tour.html?utm_source=Lin e6Index&utm_medium=Navigation&utm_campaign=P lugin+Hear+Mid

Rolling Eyes

"Nobody cares what the impedance is; all they care about is when you can walk into the room, set up a mic, turn the knobs, hit record, and make everybody go 'wow.'"

02R96

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2007, 12:51:52 PM »

There is ONLY one version...

That would be The Guess Who!  Cool

Anyone else is just a cover band!!!  Laughing

Cool article on the Herzog. Too bad it was never mass produced, but I guess that's what gives Randy Bachman his signature sound.
I hate what I've become, trying to escape who I am...

J.J. Blair

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2007, 03:12:34 PM »

There's a a couple types of fuzz.  There's the Maestro Fuzz on "Satisfaction," which is a square wave.  You have the Univox Super Fuzz, which is an all together different texture.  And then you have the Big Muff, which is the fuzziest of the fuzzes.

BTW, didn't the Black Crowes use a big muff?  Oh yeah...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/95/BlackCrowesAmoricaalbumcover.jpg
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

02R96

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2007, 10:41:44 PM »

Well I ended up buying a Little Big Muff Pi. It’s a big difference from the Digitech Grunge box I was borrowing. I don’t know how to describe it; the lower three strings sound a bit more coarse, while the upper three seem fuzzier. Never the less, it’s a keeper. One box is replacing two; the grunge and a sustain pedal.

Now all I need is a good reverb…   Surprised

Next thread!
I hate what I've become, trying to escape who I am...

RSettee

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2007, 06:51:17 PM »

The Little Big Muff is pretty good.

I've got a few--my favorite all purpose go to one is my Ibanez FZ-7 Fuzz, those silver tone-lok ones. I modified some stuff in it, and the overall equalization seems perfect--good mids, but not honky--highs that aren't "bee in a jar" type, and the "damage" switch that it has goes from 10 percent, to 100 percent. It simulates a broken speaker/ dying battery, and on the 10 percent, it adds that tearing sound, that ripping, in the attack of the signal, leaving the sustain alone, which is pretty rare. Even with my ZVex Fuzz Factory, that tearing, ripping, is in the whole signal, meaning that it chops off the sustain, no matter what. Other pedals might have more low end or top end bite, but overall, this one can't be beat with the modifications.

The Boss Power Driver was never marketed as a fuzz, but it's a very high gain pedal with lots of lows, and it's in between a distortion and a fuzz, but using the neck pickup with the tone rolled back gives a very good fuzz sound. My only complaint is that there's only a mid and a bass knob (labelled "fat" and "muscle"), and no tone knob, and that it picks up RF signals. Other than that, great pedal! And rare, and will undoubtedly be more valuable in the years to come, as people discover that it creates some cool fuzz/ fuzzstortion sounds.

ZVex Fuzz Factory--very cool! But also very expensive. It gets really high end type fuzz, and is capable of really noisy, theremin-like sounds, and you can create some really damaged, compressed fuzz sounds, to some straight up, less extreme fuzzes. It has ALOT of gain, and on higher gain settings, it picks up RF frequencies. Bonus--it's extremely small for pedalboards, and it uses extremely low power consumption, so batteries don't die nearly as fast. Major drawback---it's pretty expensive for a "specialized" fuzz, as this will probably never be my main one, but a very cool "flavour" to go to.

Behringer Vintage Overdrive (with 12AX7 tube). Pretty close to some Neil Young and Crazy Horse sounds, they call this an overdrive, but it's more a fuzz, I think, and at extreme gain levels, it really starts to sound wild and wooly and unpredictable. The blue led you could see from ten miles away, too. The only downside is the hum/ noise, it's very noisy. And you can swap in a 12AT7 for more volume/ fullness, too, and it's incredibly cheap for a pedal with a 12AX7 in it.

Tomas Danko

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2007, 06:00:04 PM »

Yes, the Ibanez FZ-7 Fuzz. I say it's a dark horse. Very underrated. Great stuff, when you know how to use it and abuse it indeed. It can turn a sound into a package of Oreos crushed by the foot of a dinosaur.
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

rob s

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2007, 01:26:51 AM »

i did a side by side comparison.
green russian vs old big muff.
when the green russians tone knob was dimed
it was about the equivalent of 1:30 2 O'clock on the old muff.
the original had the ability to get way brighter.
i like the old one better.

rob s

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2007, 01:33:24 AM »

garnet amps that have the stinger section are basically a guitar amp w ith a built in herzog.
in fact BTO got its name from the garnet amp.
Big Time Operator was a 100w model with the stinger as used by randy bachman.
they date back to the mid 60's.
man, they are beasts.  

Sarusan

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2007, 11:24:07 PM »

Haven't tried it side by side with an original but the new Tone Machines do what I remember the old ones doing and mine has been getting a lot of use.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/95/BlackCrowesAmoricaalbumcover.jpg
Not a bad record but worst album cover ever.  

Ever.

Steven

rob s

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2007, 01:28:39 AM »

i'm afraid blackfoot beat the crows for worst album cover.
they had a record called vertical smiles with a dozen tight bikini
shots.
real classy

J.J. Blair

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2007, 02:20:48 AM »

You mean this?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Uoo3d1ERL._SS500_.jpg
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Mike P

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2007, 03:49:03 AM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Fri, 09 November 2007 23:20

You mean this?

That is AWESOME.

Vertical Smiles.  I don't think there's a chance in hell that title would be allowed today.

Rock on, Ricky Medlocke.

C.Cash

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2007, 09:52:57 AM »

I have an old green one, sounds great but eats batteries.
><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

rob s

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2007, 12:33:32 AM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Sat, 10 November 2007 01:20

You mean this?

ha ha thats it.
nice work!!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 19 queries.