R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drum riser experiences?  (Read 2902 times)

brandondrury

Drum riser experiences?
« on: April 30, 2004, 04:43:50 AM »

I've been putting my brain to use... yes, this is a fairly new experience.  I've come to the conclusion that part of my "dull" sounds could be attributed to drums just setting on the floor.  I mean the actual vibration is causing the floor to vibrate in an unpleasing way.  

Are drum risers a good idea?

I remember playing gigs several years ago.  My guitar tone had low end from hell that I had never heard before and the kick drum was a cannon.  This was the "hallow" drum riser.

I've also heard about creating a frame, filling it with sand, slapping a lid on it, and calling it a drum riser.  The super weight of the sand would theoretically kill quite a lot of the resonance of the floor.  

Both seam like sound strategies.  What do you guys think?

I've decided that I'm going to put some work into the my live room with some bass traps and finishing of my hardwood floor which should also reduce my room problem.

Brandon

redfro

Re: Drum riser experiences?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2004, 10:59:24 AM »

FWIW I love the sound of a "coupled" kick drum. On the last project I did we put sandbags in the kick drum to give it a lot of weight. Thunder, baby, thunder! So in my opinion if you do a riser make sure it's NOT hollow. Good for live, but for recording, not so much. As always, YMMV...
Wes Pitzer
WCS Media
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.