R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: (B*****) Monitors  (Read 4978 times)

smykes

(B*****) Monitors
« on: April 29, 2004, 07:56:25 PM »

So I am the guy who's going to begin the asking of the inevitable question that this forum will probably see several hundred times in the next year.  Budget monitors.  I hope I didn't say that to loudly as I would hate for some none budget people to come out of the wood work and start getting all worked up.  I have heard it before, I will hear it again - probably in the next couple of posts - don't skimp on the monitors.  Well the truth is I'm not looking to skimp on monitors, I'm looking for something in a price range that some might consider budget.  So here it is monitors on, what some might consider, laughable budget.  I would like to see options for under $500 new and used and perhaps under $350 new and used.  Active is preferred as an amp cost more money.  Please also put the genre that you have experienced these monitors to be usable with.  Thanks for the help, sorry for the rambling.  

spankenstein

Re: (B*****) Monitors
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2004, 08:41:53 PM »

I bought some Alesis Monitor One MKIIs and an ART amp. It was a huge step up from what I have and they were my top choice of what I listened to while shopping. I was looking in the same price range as you are and this was a good option. I thought I wanted the actives but these have worked out great for me.

I don't like the Mackie monitors at all. They are a lot more but generally get brought up in these threads so I'll go on record saying I don't like them.

MASSIVE Mastering

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2004, 01:08:02 AM »

M-Audio BX8's, WHEN PROPERLY ADJUSTED (actually READ the manual - Most don't have them set up right), are some great bang-for-the-buck active monitors.  

I have a set that I flip over to all the time.  They aren't ADAM's, but they're a deal at $500.
John Scrip
Massive Mastering - Chicago (Schaumburg / Hoffman Est.), IL - USA

natpub

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2004, 04:10:19 AM »

I ran around doing a good bit of comparrison when I wanted some actives under $1k. I ended up getting the Event 20/20 BAS, which I do not think they make anymore. However, I compared them to the KrK's, Mackies, Alesis, Tannoy "Reveals" and a few others, and preferred them for spread of field, low end response, and tightness in the mid-range. They do seem to have a little more fatiguing upper-mid and high end reproduction than some others, but overall I remain happy with them in my arsenal.

Best,

KT
Kurt Thompson
Vibrational Arts, Inc.
Blue Skyway Music
Sonic Sorcery Studios
Austin,TX/Columbus,OH

eLe

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2004, 01:21:21 PM »

I've also been looking at some monitors. I'm assuming when you say under $500 that's the total budget and not for each one but for the pair - right?

If not...

I read some good reviews and notes on some new Event monitors the "Precision Studio 8". I heard them at Guitar Center (briefly) and they sound flat out great IMO. They're $1200 for the pair.

Anybody listen to these yet? Many people at the store were comparing them to some higher-end $3000 gear. All I know is that they pretty good.

I went for budget and bought some Event TS5's. They're OK for the price. I think they might be going up on eBay soon Smile
eLe

Consul

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2004, 02:56:39 PM »

Does anyone have any experience with Phonic's line of monitors?

http://www.phonic.com/html/products/studio_monitor.htm

What I like here is the fact that they offer active and passive versions of each model. The prices for these seem to run from $200 to about $500 a pair, depending on the model.
Darren Landrum

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." - Dave Barry

Dingo

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2004, 04:24:09 PM »

I suggest a pair of pre-loved Yamaha NS-10m monitors. They are the most widely used nearfields in pro studios worldwide for the last 20-odd years, even I use
"This has to be the only industry in the world that has spent the last decade trying to effectively simulate all of the tools that it was told it needed to throw out." - bunnerabb

http://www.backtoback.cd/TIB3.jpg

Audio Engineer

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2004, 04:27:04 PM »

Dingo wrote on Mon, 03 May 2004 13:24

I suggest a pair of pre-loved Yamaha NS-10m monitors. They are the most widely used nearfields in pro studios worldwide for the last 20-odd years, even I use
RADAR 24...Heaven In A Box

alanfc

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2004, 07:54:15 PM »

I love my Yorkville  YSM p1's

under $500/pair

Vertigo

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2004, 11:36:18 AM »

I've heard good things about the Event TR8XL's and am thinking of picking up a pair - they're actives and they run about $600. Has anyone here used or have any opinions on these?

-Lance
Pages: [1]   Go Up