R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2nd Time Around w/Topaz 8, Harvey or anyone else, any input?  (Read 6215 times)

Nala

2nd Time Around w/Topaz 8, Harvey or anyone else, any input?
« on: September 23, 2007, 02:51:16 PM »

Hello

Just got another Topaz 8, 24 channel board a few weeks back for a rediculous price. I used to own one several years ago but got rid of it some time past. I couldn't pass this up for the price, besides it's all in good working order and included the meter bridge. Even got the darn manual with it. I have just a few questions if anyone might know. . On page 43 of the operating manual (The Masters) it states that the L & R faders for the masters control the mix signal at the Main mix outputs, which are unbalanced on 0.25 jacks. It also says somewhere else in the manual that the Main mix output is factory set for +4.  All other outputs factory set for -10.

I'd forgotten a lot about my old Topaz but was surprised that the Main mix are on unbalanced outputs to begin with. I know you can mod the 24 tape in/outs for +4 or -10 operation as well as the two track in and outs for -4/ -10,  but the way they show hooking up the console, it appears as if what they consider to be the two track outs. . . are really the Main mix outs connected to (two) 2 track machines by use of a Y-cord to feed the 2Trk-A & 2Trk-B mastering decks. . . . so, are they in fact saying that the Main mix outs are also considered to be the 2 trak outs. and that
they can be altered to be either +4/-10 if wanted along with the 2 track ins?? It's a little confusing at first glance.

Again, shouldn't the main mix out on a board of this quality be on a balanced connection and not on an unbalanced one. After all it says that the Main out is set for +4 to start from the factory and I would think you'd want that to be on a balanced out for professional level matching purposes? Those internal jumpers are a real pain in the ass! I like Mackies use of simple switches for +4/-10 select on the tape ins & outs as well as on the Main mix outs. Way more user friendly.

Only real serious complaint I'd have about the console is about it's lousy Aux implementation. The first 2 should have had a pre/post switch so you could have at least 4 full post effects if wanted. The other shared 2 shared aux's are a waste if you ask me. . . having them all separate would be much better but then the console would have had to have been made deeper in design to accomodate two extra knobs going down the strip. maybe even deeper if you throw in the room for the pre/post switches on the first two aux knobs and that would of course bring added costs to the whole desk? Anyway. . . .it's a great sounding little desk. The preamps are good enough to get the job done and the board is very quiet! The EQ seems useful and pretty well implemented. . . so far I'm really liking it.
Thanks,
Al Levin
I am a skeleton of normal, somewhere in-between the middle?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 16 queries.