R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Pultec EQP-1a EQ cap replacement  (Read 14595 times)

Klaus Hiney

Pultec EQP-1a EQ cap replacement
« on: September 22, 2007, 01:57:03 PM »

ssltech

Re: Pultec EQP-1a EQ cap replacement
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 04:14:48 PM »

...You sure you're not talking about the inductor???

And are you certain that you're sufficiently familiar with working on gear not to do more harm than good...?

Be SURE before you start...

Keith
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

Klaus Hiney

Re: Pultec EQP-1a
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 09:43:45 PM »

ssltech

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 10:10:17 PM »

Well, if one tap of the inductor was broken, the frequency(ies) associated wouldn't boost. The caps should be discrete, the INDUCTOR is more likely to be wax-potted.

IIRC, they 'share' inductors on adjacent frequencies... if that's true as I remember it, then one open-circuit inductor tap would cause two dead -but adjacent- frequencies...

Keith

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

Klaus Hiney

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 10:38:17 PM »

Klaus Hiney

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 09:28:08 AM »

David Kulka

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 11:43:13 PM »

I was a little afraid to try to advise since this is such an expensive piece, with so many dollars potentially at risk.  If one is not a very experienced tech then one should tread very lightly with a unit like this.

Even though the circuit is in essence pretty simple, there are ways to go wrong.  The problem could be caused by the switch, wiring, inductor network, a capacitor, a previous repair, etc.  For an experienced tech, patient, methodical fault finding could probably identify the problem in an hour or so but it seems difficult to give easy to follow, safe advice for fault finding.  It might be helpful to verify the accuracy of the frequency settings that do work, along with cut/boost amounts.

The problem might or might not be a capacitor.  Don't do anything that might damage the potted network, because it's basically irreplaceable.  It might be difficult (or impossible) to remove and repair it without doing even more damage.  Sometimes, if the exact fault is known, a part can be added inside the main chassis to repair a fault in the network.

If you can, check the other frequencies and cut / boost amounts carefully.  I'll look at the schematic and see if I can offer any other suggestions.

(I edited this reply a couple of times because I wasn't comfortable with some of my original comments.)
http://www.studioelectronics.biz

Service & Restoration of UREI dbx Neve Eventide Marshall AMS Tube Gear and more

drpat

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 06:41:52 PM »

The earlier 1A’s used a 4 tap inductor, while the latter used a 5 tap. Most of the schematics that I’ve seen on the internet are for a 6 tap inductor.

The inductor for the 1A is wax potted in the same filter can that the HF BOOST and HF ATTEN caps are in.

All of the 1A’s (that I’ve seen) use the same cap for 8k and 10k, and most have a common cap for 3k & 4k (I own one that doesn't).

All of the Pultecs that I’ve seen share an inductor tap for 8k and 16K, and also share a tap for 10k and 12k.

You can get all of this info from your HF BOOST switch. Just count the number of colors coming from the filter network to the switch. ...for the small gauge wires and the bigger gauge wires.

BEFORE YOU REMOVE THE BEEZWAX!!!

Your switches could be dirty. To test, you can manually short the inductor tap to the cap tap on the switch. Be sure to do this while the switch is in the same position as the frequency that you're shorting. If it works while doing this, clean your switches.

If this doesn't work, it's time to rule out the caps and inductor...

You could start by isolating the HF BOOST caps in the filter network. The HF caps can be tested by removing the wire that’s connected to the wiper of the HF BOOST pot. Now you can use a cap meter between the switch connections (the bigger wire gauges) and this wire. To completely isolate the caps, be sure that the switch is NOT set to the position that you’re testing. If you find an open cap, lucky you, you can mount a new one to the switch. If it’s shorted, I hope you like the smell of honey!

Testing the HF BOOST inductor involves removing the small wire that’s coming from the filter can that’s connected to the bandwidth pot. You can now do an inductance reading from the switch connections (the smaller wire guages) to this wire.

Hope this helps...
Patrick D. Olguin

Klaus Hiney

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007, 06:57:44 PM »

ssltech

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007, 07:04:58 PM »

Open caps in that circuit... -Anyone ever seen one?

Keith

drpat

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2007, 07:32:30 PM »

That's why I said "Lucky You"...  Very Happy
Patrick D. Olguin

Klaus Hiney

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 09:34:33 PM »

David Kulka

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2007, 04:00:28 AM »

I do and obviously Patrick does -- or at least he knows them very well.
http://www.studioelectronics.biz

Service & Restoration of UREI dbx Neve Eventide Marshall AMS Tube Gear and more

ssltech

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2007, 10:35:01 AM »

I know Pat's familiarity with these and other tube pieces, and David... well you'd be VERY hard-put to find anyone else who will stand more fully behind such excellent work on such a wide array of gear.

Whereabouts are you...?

Keith

drpat

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2007, 07:15:30 PM »

I've been inside a few of these filter cans, if you need somebody to look at this unit, I'd be more than happy to do so. Where are you located?
Patrick D. Olguin
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 16 queries.