R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why don't people listen anymore?  (Read 14097 times)

Trumpetman2

Re: Why don't people listen anymore?
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2007, 08:24:01 AM »

I don't remember the number of available gear and advertising copy being a problem before audio forums became the definitive audio school.[/quote]

.....school?  If this is a school, it must not be accredited, cause you get no answers here.... Shocked

compasspnt

« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2007, 09:20:47 AM »

Why don't people listen anymore?

Trumpetman2 wrote on Tue, 02 October 2007 08:24

If this is a school, it must not be accredited, cause you get no answers here...

Trumpetman2 wrote on Tue, 02 October 2007 08:28

Thanks, right you are my friend....I have my answer though, it is a "vaguely C12-ish mic."  What the heck, I already ordered a Telefunken RFT AK-47!!!!  Hope its pretty good cause I bought it "sight unseen"..... Rolling Eyes

Bryson

« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2007, 07:45:40 AM »

tonelab wrote on Mon, 01 October 2007 12:03

"Trust me...it's a good mic."  

Store and location please.

I know it's all of "them", but I'm still curious.

Bryson

« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2007, 07:50:09 AM »

Tomas Danko wrote on Sun, 30 September 2007 09:52

Bryson wrote on Sat, 29 September 2007 11:23

ricknroll wrote on Wed, 26 September 2007 17:15

Yeah, if you go to GC they will tell you for "health reasons" that you can't return mics.......

Which is pretty funny considering the amount of disease spread via hands (guitars).

When I had a music store, the only instrument I didn't let people return and trade for something else was the harmonica.

Getting sick through microphones is no joke though. I know a club where they had karaoke and the girls working there were constantly sick in their throats. I told them they should get their own microphones instead of using the beer spewed ones their guests sing into. They did, and got much better.

I always bring my own mic (57), and insist on using it. No exceptions......well, I also bring my own A2WS and ball windscreen with me.

MikeNice81

« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2007, 12:01:09 PM »

tonelab wrote on Mon, 01 October 2007 15:03

I recently went into one of the big chain instrument/pro audio stores and had this frustrating experience. The pro audio department was decked out with it's "listening room" - you know, the room where they have the premium gear, ICON setup, etc.  I saw a mic that I was interested in buying and asked if I could listen to the mic, maybe print something to pro tools, etc. They said they weren't set up for that sort of thing. The guy is telling me this in the "listening room". I ask, "well, whats this room for? I see a DAW, a rack of outboard gear, microphones, speakers..." He says, "We're not set up for that...sorry."  
I then ask the guy if i can return the mic if it doesn't suit me. He says no. He goes into the whole health dept. thing about not being able to accept returns on microphones.  So I ask him how am I supposed to evaluate a microphone before purchasing? He says, "Trust me...it's a good mic."  

I had a similar experience in a Guitar Center store. The difference is that I was looking for a set of monitors.

I wanted to hear each set of speakers I was contemplating. So first I asked the guy if I could move a few around to get a better listening position. He refused to let me move anything. SO I asked him if I could play back a cd I had brought along for evaluation. Again he refused. So I asked that he just play whatever they had. He told me that they didn't have anything available to listen too. However he was confident that if I bought the most expensive monitors in the room I would love them.

If I bought the speakers and hated them I could return them. However, I am not going to just pop for the most expensive set in the room because the sales guy told me I should. I also didn't want to waste another hour of back and forth driving on a return. So I passed on buying anything while I was there.

Retail shops are usually a pain in the @$$ when it comes to audio equipment.

acorec

« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2007, 10:05:41 AM »

People seem to hear what they want to hear as well as they usually don't have access to the product to test. This habit is rather the norm with the home reccers who really want to believe that the latest $100 pre-amp with the toob is very comparable to the Neve. The chinese mic market is getting woefully out of control with this always citing the U87 as the comparison (like the U87 is actually the holy grail!)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 19 queries.