R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leaving one wall bare?  (Read 1686 times)

Bill Knipe

Leaving one wall bare?
« on: September 18, 2007, 09:19:04 PM »

Hi everyone.

I am getting ready to apply wood paneling to the block walls in a 2nd room in the basement to be used as either a new control room or a recording room. My questions are:

1. Would there be any advantage to leaving one of the walls bare block to make the small room more alive? The floor is linoleum, and I may install hardwood flooring also.

2. Should I cram a bit of fiberglass between the block and the paneling? I plan to install the paneling on 1X2's.

Pictures and a drawing can be seen here:

www.westervillegolf.com/studio.htm

Thanks for any advice.
Bill Knipe
Columbus, OH

Ethan Winer

Re: Leaving one wall bare?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 01:49:10 PM »

Bill, without dimensions it's impossible to say. Generally speaking, bare surfaces that are near (within 10 feet) to either a performer or microphone or listener are not good. The result is always comb filtering and "early" reflections. Absorption or diffusion are always a better choice.

--Ethan

Bill Knipe

Re: Leaving one wall bare?
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 02:51:17 PM »

thanks Ethan...

but change of plans. I found out I need BUILDING PERMITS to even put up paneling or drywall in a basement. If I owned the place that would be different, but...

Besides, I set my drums up in that room and recorded some tracks and they sound much better than in the carpeted room. I'm going to put in some bass traps and get a couple of office cubicle panels to put next to the kit.
Bill Knipe
Columbus, OH
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 19 queries.