R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LAVRY AD10  (Read 3917 times)

chrissugar

LAVRY AD10
« on: September 29, 2007, 04:22:38 AM »

Anyone noticed this new product?
One interesting feature is that it can switch from transparent conversion to tube and/or transformer sound emulations. Very similar in concept with the HEDD triode/pentode/tape emulations. Razz
Probably a nice adition in mastering setups. Very curious about it's sound.

chrissugar
Christian Mike Sugar
CMS-LAB

aivoryuk

Re: LAVRY AD10
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 06:37:27 AM »

yeah i caught notice of this product only this week.

haven't really seen any details but a few suppliers seemed to have it listed, one even had a price whcih was in swiss francs 1550CHF whcih is about 1330 USD. I don't know how accurate that is but it would prob be around the same price as the da-10.

If its along the same quality as the other products they do, then it is of some serious interest.

TotalSonic

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 03:14:35 PM »

I believe this should be at AES next weekend - I'll stop by and ask Dan about it.

Lavry now also has a page for it on their website:

http://www.lavryengineering.com/lrg_images/AD10_web.jpg
Quote:

Lavry Engineering Inc. is proud to announce the latest addition to its product line, the stereo LavryBlack AD10 A/D converter. Ideal for a wide range of recording and broadcast applications, the LavryBlack AD10 builds on founder Dan Lavry's reputation for extreme transparency with a number of innovative new features for highest-quality sound, flexibility and ease of use.

LavryBlack AD10 sees the introduction of Lavry Engineering's unique Digital Alias-Free Emulation™ modes. With this exclusive system, in addition to Clear mode users can select the input characteristic of Tube, Transformer or both (Complex). "The AD10 marks the first time that a Lavry Engineering unit has offered this type of option," explains Dan Lavry, President of Lavry Engineering. "With AD10, very high accuracy and transparency remain the starting point. However, the engineer can also alter the original signal if they choose."

In addition to a myriad of functions, the LavryBlack AD10 is accessible via user-friendly interface controlled by a single toggle switch. This switch utilizes multiple displays for heightened efficiency within the compact ½ RU enclosure. Other highlights of the LavryBlack AD10 include: " Internal Crystal 44.1, 48, 88.2, & 96 kHz sampling rates
" Ultra-stable internal and external clocking
" Greater than 117dB Dynamic Range (unweighted), 120dB (weighted)
" Less than .0009% THD+N (20HZ-20kHz)
" External Word Clock or AES sync for 32-100kHz operation
" 24 bit AES/SPDIF and optical outputs
" XLR professional level analog inputs (+4dBu)
" ¼" instrument line level analog inputs (-10dBV)
" Accepts balanced or unbalanced analog signals
" 14 segment digital meters w/Peak Hold
" Meter display gain setting in 1dB steps

Introduction of AD10 extends Lavry's Black Series which began with the highly popular DA10. This stereo D/A converter set new standards in performance and quality at a cost-effective price point.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Bob Boyd

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 05:41:33 PM »

I'm laughing at the meter range of -13dBFS to 0.  These days, who cares what's below that, right?  Smile

Bet it sounds great.
Bob Boyd
ambientdigital, Houston

http://ambientdigital.com
http://myspace.com/ambientdigital

Twitter: @bobboyd

Look, I know it's mean.  But sometimes the end justifies the mean.

TotalSonic

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 07:27:51 PM »

Bob Boyd wrote on Sat, 29 September 2007 17:41

I'm laughing at the meter range of -13dBFS to 0.  These days, who cares what's below that, right?  Smile

Bet it sounds great.

Well - that's about target range for peak level anyway.  It would be nice if there is an LED that just shows signal present at lower levels though.  Even better t me would be indivdual LED's for most used peak levels - i.e. -12 through 0dBFs with an over light as well - along with signal present indicators for the ranges covering, say 12dB, below this (i.e. -13 to -24, -25 to -36, etc.)

Most of us are reading input levels from our DAW's meters anyway, so the metering on the ADC, while certainly nice to have, isn't that critical to me.  i.e. There's only 4 led's for level metering on my Mytek Stereo96 and I've gotten by just fine on this.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Tomas Danko

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 01:05:06 PM »

Bob Boyd wrote on Sat, 29 September 2007 22:41

Bet it sounds great.

I could see myself buying this unit in the future, but it would mean I'd only barely see two of those metering LEDs flash every now and then since I tend to record low levels.

If I don't record through an analog compressor I may even see six of the LEDs in use!
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 17 queries.