R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iso booth for traffic noise  (Read 2334 times)

brett

iso booth for traffic noise
« on: September 14, 2007, 01:24:38 PM »

I live in an apartment and have treated my control room. It sounds good, but I need a quiet recording booth to do voice over, vocals and acoustic guitar. I was going to convert the bathroom connected to the control room to a recording booth but it is too small a foot print to build a room within it and the landlord would freak if he came in and saw that. Also, I live on Venice Bl and it is so busy all hours up until about 10pm on weeknights. And still busses go by. the busses and the trucks are the worst. The floor actually vibrates as they appraoch and the low end rumble is getting into my recordings.

Would an off the shelf iso booth work? I was thinking of setting it up in the adjacent room. I am concerned because my issue is with frequencies that are low. Like buses and large trucks gear boxes and axle, & exhaust noise. The occasional Harley or hot rod sucks as well. Plus, those booths with the double walls are over $4k.

What about building a DIY wood frame on a base floated on casters. Using double sheetrock with a layer of dynomat. And then putting rigid fiber on the walls inside? Would that work? How much would somthing like this cost? any plans floating around for a 4x4 iso and ventilation system that would seriously reduce low frequencies as well as high?  

gullfo

Re: iso booth for traffic noise
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 08:18:34 PM »

i would float multiple layers of MDF on 2" of 703 insulation and build my walls and treatments on that. isolated the walls from the base with 3/8" neoprene, isolate the drywall from the frame with rc-1 or 2. put in some slat resonators and leave the roof of it inverted to add some absorption. for air, build some duct board or plywood silencers with fans - the booth can be the same temp as your room... put on a heavy glass exterior door or windowed door for visibility. maybe a small track light. here's an example of one slightly smaller  - you can scale as needed.

index.php/fa/6179/0/

can't insert a sketchup file but you can pm me for it.
Glenn Stanton

www.runnel.com/

brett

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 12:41:36 PM »

I have heard people say the square booth will sound bad. Any thoughts on acoustics in this small booth. I want to use it for recording voice over but also singing as well. Thanks

gullfo

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 10:22:34 AM »

yea, a square anything room is going to have common mode issues on 2 axis... in this design example, the booth is 4'wx5.5'dx7.5'h (~1:1.4:1.9) and the interior treatment wall is angled to add low-mid trapping and still keeping it live without flutter echos. additional hanging absorbers would be added/removed as needed. i could update this example (better silencers...) and post the sketchup file if it would help.
Glenn Stanton

www.runnel.com/

brett

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 04:13:50 PM »

Thanks

Digigirl

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 12:21:41 AM »

4K for an Iso Booth?????  You can definately build your own booth for under a thousand.  I ordered plans from dawbox.com and my booth has worked like a charm to cut out all of the noise from trucks, loud speakers and that kachoonck kachoonck B.S. which I can hear at all hours of the day or night from the nearby highway.  I would recommend building a booth with a layer of sheet block underneath the foam.  You could do the whole floating room thing, however it is pretty involved.  I helped a buddy build a studio over the last several months and you have to figure out all of the dynamics of resiliant channels, double sheetrock glued together with a layer of sheet block, what will your room be floating on, ect.  The floating room thing is not exactly portable if you happen to move.  With the vocal booth, you would need to silicone the seam in order to have the desired isolotation, but at least you could break down the booth and re-build it if you needed to.  One more thing........The vocal booth plans I ordered come with all the instructions you need to build a plenum, in other words the ventilation.  

F.Y.I.  The biggest soundleak that you have right now is the window/s.  Cover them up with MDF.  You can prevent it from being an eye sore by putting a thick fabric over the top which will also help reduce the noise.  Many fabric stores sell partial pieces or scraps.  If you go with a velvet or thick textured fabric it will look and sound great.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck!

brett

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 04:45:06 AM »

thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 20 queries.