R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 Questions... (1 Odd, 1 Not)  (Read 4585 times)

sui-city

2 Questions... (1 Odd, 1 Not)
« on: April 29, 2004, 09:32:27 AM »

Hi all

Just 2 quick questions:

1. Do any of you mastering engineers use iZ Radar as a playback system?

2. This is an odd one: What kind of chair do you use? I started wondering whether there would be reflection issues with a high-back chair. Does this make sense?

Thank you all in advance.

bblackwood

Re: 2 Questions... (1 Odd, 1 Not)
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2004, 01:43:43 PM »

sui-city wrote on Thu, 29 April 2004 08:32

Hi all

Not here.

Quote:

2. This is an odd one: What kind of chair do you use? I started wondering whether there would be reflection issues with a high-back chair. Does this make sense?

Herman Miller Aeron chairs here. I can sit in these for 8 hours a day and still feel great when I get up...

http://www.hermanmiller.com/hm/content/product/image/P_AER_L122.jpg
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

lucey

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2004, 04:36:15 PM »

sui-city wrote on Thu, 29 April 2004 08:32

Sure it does, tall back chairs, especially if they were a hard surface would be terribly reflective ... luckily they'd be uncomfortable too.

Even a Ball Cap is a distortion box ...

If you're worried, lean forward and back to hear if the chair is doing anything, or have someone pull it away while you listen to a looped passage.

I sit in this discontinued leather chair
Brian Lucey
Magic Garden Mastering

"the economy is a wholly owned subsidiary of the ecology" - unknown

sui-city

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2004, 05:23:38 PM »

Thanks for the answers people.

Brad,

Do you think iZ Radar with Lavry converters would be a bad idea? Or is the Radar just something to avoid?

The thought of having a dedicated digital playback systems, that costs a third the price of Alsihad, i find very appealing.

Not having heard the Radar, I am just unsure.

Thanks again.

bblackwood

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2004, 05:26:41 PM »

sui-city wrote on Thu, 29 April 2004 16:23

Do you think iZ Radar with Lavry converters would be a bad idea? Or is the Radar just something to avoid?

Actually, from what I've heard, the Radar converters might be fine. They sound quite good, though I haven't heard them alongside the Lavrys. I'd give them a listen before simply ordering them.

Quote:

The thought of having a dedicated digital playback systems, that costs a third the price of Alsihad, i find very appealing.

Agreed, but why not use a second computer (or even just a second sound card) to play back dig files?
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

craig boychuk

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2004, 08:51:25 PM »

Radar is a really great system that is used primarily for multi-track recording. I work on Radar regularly, and I love it. It has several different ad/da conversion cards available, or you can use an external converter with Radar's digital i/o. I think that it has S/PDIF and AES on board, and you can also get a "universal format converter" thingy that will let you use TDIF, optical, etc.

It's editing capabilities are pretty limited compared to ProTools, and importing and exporting files is a bit of a chore compared to the way it works on a regular computer. It sounds awesome, but I have to agree with Brad. Unless you were planning to use it for tracking sessions also, you'd probably be better off getting a computer and really good converters.
Capture the pasture rapture.
www.cbaudio.com

Waylon

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2004, 03:40:51 PM »

If you are planning on using the lavry Converters, RADAR is wayyyyyy overkill IMHO.  Brads suggestion of a second computer, etc. is spot on the Money.

Now, if you are asking because you already have the Radar, or want one for recording and want it to do double duty, it will def perform this function.

Cheers
Steve Smith

"Oh of course not, Henrik! The compressor is just one small part of this nutricious breakfast. The brains between my two ears also count as well."

jfrigo

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2004, 05:07:15 PM »

sui-city wrote on Thu, 29 April 2004 06:32

As long as your ears are above the top of the chair I wouldn't worry. If you have big flat wings on either side of your head, it is indeed possible that you'll have some audible effects.

As for Radar, it seems like a pretty good product, but I'm not sure why you would choose it for a mastering studio as a playback device. It seems that there are better options if you are starting from scratch, but if it's just laying around, it could certainly be used. How is it with importing lots of different file types from Mac and PC?

D Harris

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2004, 06:43:45 PM »

I really like the newer Herman Miller chair, the Mirra.  It has a stiffer back which I prefer to the Aeron.  Any of these high end chairs are worth every cent.  You sit in them for what, 40 hours or more per week?  In addition to that the Herman Millers have a ten year warranty.  For both ergonomic and acoustic reasons, I would probably avoid anything with heavy foam padding.
Dave Harris
 Studio B Mastering

Ronny

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2004, 04:32:48 AM »

[quote title=jfrigo wrote on Fri, 30 April 2004 17:07]
sui-city wrote on Thu, 29 April 2004 06:32

Quote:

As long as your ears are above the top of the chair I wouldn't worry. If you have big flat wings on either side of your head, it is indeed possible that you'll have some audible effects.

I've found that high back leather chairs, increase bass response, but soft upholstered chairs actually help the sweet spot.  Laughing

Quote:

As for Radar, it seems like a pretty good product, but I'm not sure why you would choose it for a mastering studio as a playback device. It seems that there are better options if you are starting from scratch, but if it's just laying around, it could certainly be used. How is it with importing lots of different file types from Mac and PC?

Radar is one of the top notch 'digi' multi-track systems. It even has the peeps that call PT, Alsihad, believers in digital and I'm so glad that it's no longer a digital versus analog debate, but I'm in Jay's camp, why would you want to use Radar system for mastering? Not that it couldn't mind you. It's the ear, not the gear, but it's overkill for mastering apps and for an editor it sorely lacks.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------