R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there somewhere I can read up on minimalist drum mic'ing?  (Read 3552 times)

alanfc

Hello-
can someone direct me to a thread or link to Fletcher's (thats all I know it as) 3-mic drum recording technique?  Or school me a bit or direct me to simple drum mic'ing with FEW mic's??

thanks

bellulah

Re: Is there somewhere I can read up on minimalist drum mic'ing?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2004, 06:20:04 AM »

greetin's

some of what you are asking depends on your mics.  do you just have a couple of 57's?  do you have a nice condenser?  how about a decent kick mic?

if you don't have a kick mic, you'll want one of your mics to be at the "heart" of the kit.  plop her out in front of the kit, and move it around til it sounds pretty.  most people i know have luck from 4-8 feet away, kinda pointed at the drummer's nuts.  if you do have a kick mic (like a d112 or beta52), that goes where you think it should, and there are hundreds of places it sounds good - just move it around in the kick shell til you are happy.

as for the other mics, it's cool to have on on the snare (a 57)and one overhead (the condenser).  even the snare is optional in my opinion, but sometimes it can get lost in your mix.  and i would keep the overhead closer towards the ride and further away from the hi-hat.  those hi-hats can get a little rambunctious in the mix.

if you do happen to have a 4th mic laying around, i would stick it just... i don't know... far away from the kit.  just for a room mic.  some would say put it as another overhead, but then you could run into phasing issues.  your post leads me to believe you are either running out of tracks, or just starting to learn mic'ing a kit.  if its the latter, i would definately try to eliminate anything that would cause a phase problem.  

just keep trying stuff - don't get discouraged whatever you do.  yoru first 60 attempts will prolly sound like poop.  but some great records have been made with only a few mics on the drums.  the new pedro the lion disc is only two drum mics, as well as most of the newer flaming lips stuff.  

have fun!!
joshua dennison

drummertom

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2004, 11:56:18 AM »

Here's the info from the Mercenary Audio site:

http://www.mercenaryaudio.com/3micdrumstuf.html

This really is a nice technique.  It does a great job of presenting a realistic picture of the kit.

alanfc

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2004, 12:02:52 PM »

Yow! Thanks guys, this is perfect

Live drum mic'ing is new to me and low budget is what I'm stuck with . I have an SM-57 I was going to use for the snare, and MXL condenser for over head, and for the kick, maybe I'll talk the drummer into investing in a nice mic for that specific purpose (he has a good job)

thanks again!

alanfc

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2004, 04:57:38 PM »

I just stumbled across this thread over on the MARSH board. (oops). I explains alot

http://marsh.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/253/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 20 queries.