R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL Drivers for Monitors  (Read 1920 times)

Whit Hutchinson

JBL Drivers for Monitors
« on: September 09, 2007, 07:23:11 AM »

Hey guys I have been thinking of hand crafting some JBL driver based monitors this winter but unlike the live audio world, finding the correct drivers is proving to be somewhat hard.

I was wanting to do a 5 1/4 or 6 1/2 with a silk dome or maybe the standard JBL Titanium driver.   Where do I go about finding these types of drivers?

Also I am not 100% sold on the JBLs, so if there are great drivers out there that sound better please let me know as well.  

(Moderators feel free to move this if need be.  I am a pro sound so I didn't know where to put this)

franman

Re: JBL Drivers for Monitors
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 09:04:12 PM »

I'll see if I can get Lars to chime in on this.. This is his expertise and he knows a lot about all kinds of drivers!! Very Happy
Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

L_Tofastrud

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 10:15:39 AM »

Whit,

I think it will be difficult to find these JBL drivers for sale.
As far as I know the only drivers they sell are listed here:
http://www.jblpro.com/pages/components/componts.htm
If you know of other JBL drivers for sale please let me know Smile

If you can't get them there are a bunch of great manufacturers out there.  I'm partial to SEAS (www.seas.no) drivers - Always had good experience with them and the sample to sample differences are very small.  I'd look at the new titanium/magnesium/aluminum domes they have.  For woofers I'd look at the excel series.

Regards
Lars Tofastrud

Whit Hutchinson

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 11:01:10 PM »

Thanks Lars.  I am realizing that building these will be like the pro sound world as well.  You can spend as much as you want on them.  Some of those drivers are expensive little boogers.

I will try to model the boxes with a box building program using the given TS parameters.  However, I don't really know what to look for.  I like a nice rich vocal depth without getting too muddy.  I will be using these with a KRK sub woofer (dont laugh Smile )  at low/moderate volumes.   Should I be looking for a stiff paper cone type driver, or a higher xmax type polymer driver?   I would like to see the monitors play the 70-20k range and let the sub do the rest below that.

Before your post I was over at www.partsexpress.com getting confused in a hurry.  I am not expecting to master this set but treat it as a DIY project.   I spend ALOT of time here at the PC listening to tracks and music and I am very nearfield to the monitors (3' or so with only about 12" or so  to separate the monitors depending on the shape of the enclosure).

Thanks for any additional tips.

chorga1

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 08:12:05 PM »

SEAS are great drivers!

If you want to save a little money i've had great luck with Vifa drivers...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 21 queries.