R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Time Magazine: The 50 Worst Cars of All Time  (Read 35508 times)

jimmyjazz

Re: Time Magazine: The 50 Worst Cars of All Time
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2007, 10:45:08 AM »

Did I read that right?  The "K" car didn't make the list?

Jay Kadis

« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2007, 10:50:21 AM »

None of these come close to the '59 Chevy Biscayne station wagon in terms of unreliability and operating expense.  8 mpg (283 V-8, 4bbl, 3 speed manual w/overdrive).  Had to rebuild the engine at about 70 kMi.  The body and chassis continually separated in the back requiring a trip to a welder about every 6 months.  The ball joints failed with regularity, wearing out a set of tires in the process.  But it was a rare 2-door wagon and had cool fins.  Chicks dug it.  (Until they had to get out and push.)  It did manage to do 120 mph with 5 people aboard once.

My dad almost bought a Humber Super Snipe in 1961 but opted for a Peugeot 403 instead.  It replaced a Renault Dauphine.  There seems to be a pattern emerging here.

J.J. Blair

« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2007, 10:53:41 AM »

I honestly thought the 914 was going to make the list, since the TR7 did.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fe/VW_Porsche_914.jpg/800px-VW_Porsche_914.jpg
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

ssltech

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2007, 02:13:15 PM »

The 914 is like the X1/9 with balls.

In the case of the 914-6, those balls are big, fat, throbbing and rather hairy.

They rust out like crazy -specially in the battery area- but the mid-engined layout is a sleeper.. if you can find one that hasn't been eaten by the tin-worm. Weld a roll-cage into a semi-solid one and you have a bit of a monster... specially if you can get the 914-6.

Easy to maintain, cheap as buttons -just buy one in Arizona or somewhere else with no rain and no salt.

Otherwise yes... the 914 "Pizza-box" is a rustheap with no sex-appeal, and the intrinsic ability to make widows out of girls who married owners.

My friend races a 914, and a 951. -For his day job he owns a large metalworking plant. That's the kind of backup you NEED to look after a 914!

True, the 914 is looked upon by Porsche as a bit of a wayward effort, -and perhaps they'd be happier if they had never gone that way- but like the X1/9 it doesn't really match up to the same level of ultimate crapness.

Most 914's BECOME crap. When they were new, they weren't really very crap... even the 911 of the day wasn't the snorting beast that springs to mind when someone says "Porsche nine-eleven" nowadays...

The TR7 however WAS crap from the second it rolled off the production line. Every single last example to roll out of Speke (later on out of Canley) was a rotting pustule on the scrotum of automotivity.

Mark my words, the Boxster is the 914 of the future. -Not in terms of rust, but the comparisons are many: It's the "entry-level" P-car. It's favoured by hairdressers and poseurs. However, it's a BEAST at auto-cross. Get yourself a later Boxster-S, and you can work up a serious grin! Depreciation on the Boxster is about to hit free-fall, because there are SO many out there, and the 'cachet' of owning "a Porsh" is tarnished as a result.

The 924/944 also suffered the same disdain, and -like the Boxster- they were less-expensive Porsches. Like the Boxster, they too had almost no luggage spage due to engine and transmission placement, with weight distribution given priority over practicality. -The Boxster however excels at Autocross, whereas the last of the 944 turbos are stunningly fast on the track... For one brief year, Porsche forgot to keep the top-of-the-line 911 turbo as its quickest/best-performing offering. The 88 944 Turbo-S and the 1989 951S were faster in a straight line, quicker around the twisties, better balanced and MUCH less likely to kill you. Porsche quickly stopped selling the 944T/951S, before the 911 'cachet' was irrepairably damaged. -It wasn't until about 1996 that they ever built a production car which was faster in any measure.

While the current Cayman model has the distinct capability to outperform the current 911 model, you can bet your ass that Porsche has learned from the 914 (which -like the Boxster- significantly outsold the 911)... NEVER let a car challenge the boss.

Keith
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

mgod

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2007, 02:40:38 PM »

Just derailing the conversation a little bit, here's my dream car. I saw it at the Earl's Court Motor Show in London 1968. No idea how, or if, it runs. I made an inquiry about buying it in 1982, and was told that the leather interior had rotted and that if I was taller then 5'9', I couldn't drive it. The girl fits well.

I believe it got sold to someone in Chicago in the 90s.
 http://dhost.info/thesupercars/supercars/bertone/carabo/68ca rabo.html

http://www.bertone.it/en/scheda_60_carabo_en.htm

index.php/fa/6163/0/

DS
"There IS no Coolometer." - Larry Janus

mgod

« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2007, 02:43:32 PM »

index.php/fa/6164/0/

mgod

« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2007, 02:45:25 PM »

index.php/fa/6165/0/

J.J. Blair

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2007, 11:21:43 PM »

I would buy a Porsche, but my penis is too large.

Rolling Eyes
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

mgod

« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2007, 11:59:40 PM »

Hmmm...you think about penises when you look at cars - strange.

DS

J.J. Blair

« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2007, 12:08:46 AM »

Somebody please explain that joke to Dan.  He's never blown a Porsche driver.
studio info

ssltech

« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2007, 10:38:24 AM »

I'm not taking that bait...

...But I HAVE blown a Porsche.

OTOH, Most European car drivers say something awfully similar about 'Vette owners!  Twisted Evil

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/customavatars/avatar7359_0.gif

Keith

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

mgod

« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2007, 10:53:10 AM »

And most women make the same joke about a lot of cars, but for some reason they get fixated on Camaros. Explain that one please.

DS

ssltech

« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2007, 11:20:09 AM »

There's probably a regional bias, but around here, most camaro/firebird owners sport the obligatory "Tennessee top hat"... otherwise known as the "Kentucky mudflap"...

May be different elsewhere, but 'round these parts, if a girl says "my new boyfriend drives a Camaro" to her parents, the first image that springs to mind for dad is probably of a skinny. shirtless, bearded trailer-park punk with a mullett and an oil-smeared baseball cap... The next thing that falls to hand is usually a shotgun!

Possibly regional, but that's whatcha get here...

In fact, if you run a yahoo image search and search for the words trailer + park + mullet" (click to run the search) then you get some silly haircuts, TWO pictures of F-body cars, and no other road-going vehicles (I don't count golf carts!) -So I hope nobody thinks that it's my own personal bias; i'm just reflecting what seems to be a prevalent impression.

Keith

phantom309

« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2007, 07:06:37 PM »

The Carabo is still at the Bertone museum in Italy. Built on an Alfa Romeo chassis and a direct ancestor of the Countach. Also designed by Marcello Gandini.

LOVE that one....errr...this one!
Those that can't get carried away, should be.
http://www.audities.org
http://www.mellotron.com
http://www.myspace.com/auditiesrecording
David T. Kean

mgod

« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2007, 07:23:51 PM »

Well, that's where it was in 1982. Maybe I can still buy it and have my shins shortened, like the guy on King of the Hill.

DS
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 20 queries.