R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Bahamas Home Studio  (Read 51519 times)

C.Cash

Bahamas Home Studio
« on: September 05, 2007, 02:26:08 PM »

Hello,
I am finally building my dream. I have been recording in what was my front room for a few years. I am a guitarist that loves to record.Anyhoo,, Construction finally started, I am not sure if this is the correct forum but I figured I will try. Below is a simple sketch of what I am doing, so far I just have the foundations down and am pouring the floor as I speak. I had an architech draw the plans properly.
I am not putting the drums in ISO as the sketch shows but I am putting them in that area.
What I want;
Any info at all that maybe you guys can see that I may be doing wrong.
Ant suggestions on the best way to make both the live area and the control are sound as good as possible.
Thanks,
Clifford.

P.S the narrative on the sketch is incorrect except for the dimensions.
Thanks again.
http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/8932/floorplan3ik4.png
><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

franman

Re: Bahamas Home Studio
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 10:21:42 PM »

Clifford,

Well, your first mistake was not inviting me down to the bahamas for some diving and design!!!  Very Happy

The sketch doesn't really provide enough information for an informed review... Is your control room the smaller corner room in the upper right corner?? what dimensions, layout and treatments do you have in mind?? Do you have isolation concerns?? If so, what type of construction do you plan??

There are plenty of us here who will chime in with feedback but you have to give us a little more info.. Let us know!! Cheers and save a shark dive for me!! What part of the Bahamas are you in?? I've been all around.. If I had my choice, I'd build my retreat out at Cay Sal Bank!! Nobody around anywhere. Some of the best diving and star gazing I've ever done!

FM
Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

C.Cash

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 08:22:32 AM »

FM,
Thanks for the response.

The sketch is one that I did some time ago, it gives the basic idea but is not very accurate.
The smaller room at the top left is going to be the control room. The dimentions are- erm... the longest wall is 24'the next longest is 18.9'. All the walls are concrete block except the wall where rhe entrance door is, that will be sheetrock and I am putting 2 doors back to back(solid core and sealed as best I can). All the concrete walls I plan to plan to float 2 layers of different size sheetrock on resilient channel(Auralex) and filling the cavities with Ultratouch insulation. The ceiling is to be done the same way.I have the electrical system for the studio completly seperated from the rest of the house except for the A/C units which will run on the main house system.The studio will also have its own ground and I have upgraded the gauge of all the electrical wires.All power wires are running under 5" poured concrete floor and all the audio wires and snakes will run overhead. Trying to keep my signals as clean as possible. I am planning on putting hard wood floors over the concrete but will still float my drum kit and all guitar/bass amps and sub.
Thanks,
Clifford.

Here is the floor just poured yesterday, the wall on the right will be coming down. The conduits sticking up kinda in the middle will be running to my desk in the control room.
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/8417/studiofloorpoured2my5.jpg

C.Cash

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 09:44:14 AM »

I just finished going through your 2 Websites, WOW  &  WOW ! Can we be best friends? I got a spare bedroom and a boat and the wife cooks great Bahamian food Very Happy .
The Griffin G2A midfield's look Gorgeous,I may have to sell the wife and get a pair Twisted Evil  I would love to hear them.

BTW, I live in Nassau, same as Compasspoint. Come on down! Cool bring some monitors  Very Happy

franman

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 08:28:22 PM »

Clifford... with regards to being best friends, I am easily bribed with offers of free high quality SCUBA diving!! LOL!.. thanks for the props on our websites. I appreciate it.

Your basic construction that you've outlined sounds like it is a reasonable plan. Some thoughts:

Control Room:  The dimensions of this rooms are critical in determining the even distribution of low frequency modes... This is why a rectangular shape can be easier to work with than odd shaped rooms. Also, thing symmetrical!! The front half (at least) should really be symmetrical to make your monitoring environment best as possible. If you do a little digging you can find a number of resources (Ethan's site, RPG, etc.) that can help you calculate the modal response of a rectangular room. This is where I would start. It's not too late, as you havne't built any interior (or exterior!!) walls yet...

Detailing for windows and door penetrations can be finicky and are very important in determining your isolation between rooms.

Treatments>>> THere are many posts in this forum about basic approach to control room treatments, BUT you have to start out with good acoustic proportions to have any chance of getting smooth bass response!! This is the single most important starting point and can be almost impossible to 'fix' if it's messed up at the beginning...

Electrical: sounds like you're making a good start of it. You might want to consider an isolation transformer between your main power feed and the sub-panel for the studio power. Segregating the power as much as possible, as you've outlined, is good... and the physical separation between audio wiring and high voltage AC is also important.. but, even with a separate ground the actual hot legs for the power still come from the same source... Not sure if Nassau uses 220V 50Hz or 110V... if your electrical power uses a Neutral connection, there can be much noise shared between your house and studio via the neutral. An isolation transformer will provide you a completely separate ground (connection for your new ground rods, etc) and a clean neutral or two clean hot legs to base your studio power on. Oversizing the wiring as you've mentioned is also a very good idea... Lower resistance = less voltage drop = less potential on the ground (or neutral)...

Think about how to best implement your (rectangular) control room... look at the modal response based on all three room dimensions, then layout the rest of the rooms based on the best control room configuration... This is how we do it for the big boys *simplified of course...

Stay in touch and let me know when you're sending me a plane ticket so we can do some diving... and possible talk about studios a little too!! Surprised    Very Happy     Twisted Evil
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

rankus

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 09:26:11 PM »

Perhaps a little late now (understatement) but I would have used bigger dia. conduit ... say 4" plus for easier pulling of cables.

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

C.Cash

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 08:23:00 AM »

Rankus, the conduits that you see in the floor are for electrical only. I am running all audio cables overhead in 4" conduits.

Franman, I got 2 words for you , "Stuart Coves" Cool

Isolation transformer,any suggestions where to look?

Looking at my sketch, how much space should I allocate for my control room?

Thanks,
Clifford.

C.Cash

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2007, 09:38:26 AM »

How about this? It would make the control 11'8"1/4" X 9"1/8". I really dont need anything big but is this too small?And if so where would you put the door?
http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/4639/newfloorplanif8.png

C.Cash

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2007, 09:45:49 AM »

The walls will be done today! Razz
http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/2288/studiowalls1at8.jpg

rankus

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2007, 02:45:33 PM »

NATAS wrote on Fri, 07 September 2007 05:23

Rankus, the conduits that you see in the floor are for electrical only. I am running all audio cables overhead in 4" conduits.

Phew  Very Happy

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

compasspnt

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2007, 03:50:58 PM »

Hi,

I am from the Department of Public Works.

May I see your Building Permit number?

C.Cash

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2007, 04:07:53 PM »

Shocked SSSSSHHHH!
dont tell dem, day keep telling me tree weeks !
dis dat an de udder   Sad

Very Happy  

this was another thought.
http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/121/basicfloorplan7xu6.png

franman

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2007, 12:32:54 AM »

Terry,

I would like see your permits as well.... LOL, don wanna av to send da mon over there...

Clifford.. let's talk ceiling height.. what are your plans for the roof? What type of maximum hard ceiling (assumed flat) inside will you  be able to accomodate?? Then you have to work the three proportions as discussed above, to find a good ratio set....

I would suggest sticking with the rectangle concept for reasons of simpler modal predicability.... ok? Then it's on the reflection control, locations for doors and window(s)... bass traps.. etc... etc..  Very Happy

First things first... ceiling height?? what are dose rectangle dimension mon?? 11'8"1/4" X 9"1/8" no make sense mon...
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

franman

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2007, 12:44:46 AM »

oh and ya mon on the shark dive wit Stuart Coves mon!!

index.php/fa/6132/0/
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

C.Cash

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2007, 08:59:31 AM »

First things first... ceiling height?? what are dose rectangle dimension mon?? 11'8"1/4" X 9"1/8" no make sense mon...

OOPS!! 11' 8 1/4" x 9' 1/8" would be the dimensions if left as the rectangle above. My ceiling height is only 8' 6". I cannot adjust this without taking my whole roof apart.I can increase the 9' 1/8" a couple feet but wouldn't that make the room too square?What do you think about putting the sheet-rock on top of the rafters so that they are left exposed?
Thanks,
Clifford.

P.S.
That shark looks like the one that stole my grunt off my spear a couple weeks ago. Also had me walking on water! Embarassed

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 20 queries.