R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone seen this goo on caps before?  (Read 2222 times)

OOF!

Anyone seen this goo on caps before?
« on: September 04, 2007, 02:01:18 PM »

I'm recapping my old lexicon VariSpeech 27 which has been a bit noisy for a while.  I'm wondering what this goop is that is joining 3 caps and going down to the trace on the PC board.  the texture is much like old glue or epoxy, but down at the trace you can see it has discolored a bit.  does this serve an electronic function?
anyone have a schematic of this dinasour?
thanks,
David lawrence

Mike Cleaver

Re: Anyone seen this goo on caps before?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 03:22:36 PM »

Looks like epoxy or some other type of glue used to hold the three capacitors.
Dunno why anyone would do that unless they were loose and pulling at the solder traces.
Perhaps he (she) was trying to stabilize the caps without going to the bother of re-soldering them or repairing the lifting traces.
It has no electronic function.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Broadcast Studio Design and Consulting
Voiceover Talent
Newscaster

ssltech

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 03:54:14 PM »

It's not uncommon for manufacturers to do this to help with vibration. Remember that some gear goes into OB trucks, and gets bounced, shaken, rattled and bumped for several years. The solder joints fatigue on many electrolytics because of the slight-but-persistent resonant-load flexing they can exert.

If I'm building anything for a truck install, I ALWAYS use a silicone "caulk" (or similar) to help share mechanical loading on large electrolytics.

Keith
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

OOF!

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 06:03:00 PM »

thanks for the replies- that makes perfect sense.
david

ssltech

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 07:03:38 PM »

The solder connections at the base of the transformer to the back of the picture look like they might use a little investigation...

While most look good, those look dull and a little brown; either flux-related corrosion, or it might just be exposed copper on the wires, but it's hard to tell. If it's flux corrosion, I'd remove the old solder COMPLETELY with sole solder wick, then clean up with alcohol before resoldering.

Just in case...

Keith
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

Andy Peters

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 08:33:35 PM »

Mike Cleaver wrote on Tue, 04 September 2007 12:22

Looks like epoxy or some other type of glue used to hold the three capacitors.
Dunno why anyone would do that unless they were loose and pulling at the solder traces.
Perhaps he (she) was trying to stabilize the caps without going to the bother of re-soldering them or repairing the lifting traces.
It has no electronic function.

The various safety agencies (CE, TUV, etc) require that "large" components be held in place by something other than component leads.  If there's no mechanical structural support (bolts, bracket) then a dab of RTV or silicon spooge does the trick.

Now, if the spooge was coming from the BOTTOM of the cap, and the cap package was bulging, then the cap had leaked electrolyte and must be replaced!

-a
"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 20 queries.