R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: $3k Player Trumps $8k DAC ?  (Read 2396 times)

Arf! Mastering

$3k Player Trumps $8k DAC ?
« on: September 05, 2007, 12:41:19 AM »

Bruno,

Burning a 96k DVD-A and playing it on an Arcam DV-139 universal player produces better sound than the same file played though my $8k VCXO buffered pro DAC.  By "better" I mean that instruments seem more connected to each other and more lifelike via the player, and seem too seperated and relatively 2-dimensional via the DAC.   Can this be because latency is a non-issue in a player and so the designers are free to implement more accurate filtering?   The player  has eight analog outputs (5.1+stereo) to the DACs two, making the cost differential even greater.

Thanks...
“A working class hero is something to be,
Keep you doped with religion and sex and T.V.”
John Lennon

"Large signals can actually be counterproductive.  If I scream at you over the phone, you don’t hear me better. If I shine a bright light in your eyes, you don’t see better.”
Dr. C.T. Rubin, biomechanical engineer

bruno putzeys

Re: $3k Player Trumps $8k DAC ?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 05:06:20 AM »

Latency (i.e. the potential improvement in filter quality when latency is not important) is one possible factor, but we'd need to look at the entire circuit of both boxes to see where all the differences lie. There usually isn't just one answer. The analogue execution has a say in matters as well, to name just one thing...
Warp Drive. Tractor Beam. Room Correction. Whatever.

Affiliations: Hypex, Grimm Audio.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 21 queries.