R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: your studio's atmosphere  (Read 12537 times)

Barish

Re: your studio's atmosphere
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2007, 05:20:40 AM »

compasspnt wrote on Thu, 13 September 2007 01:40

I'll dig it out and see what the highest res is that I can make from the original.

Amazing! Thanks a lot.

M.
M Ozturk

Hank Alrich

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2007, 09:45:53 AM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Wed, 12 September 2007 20:50

Forget finding knotty pine T&G.  Try finding ANYTHING in 18 ft. lengths!

It's no different than finding U47's. It's all about who you know and how much you are willing to pay.

bradwood

« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2007, 04:41:35 PM »

Windows windows windows! Let me see the outside world. Besides giving your eyes something different to focus on, I have a hunch that it keeps sessions from going crazy long. If my session begins on time at my studio (with windows), we usually want to knock off when it gets dark outside. When working in a cave, that natural indicator is gone & the sessions seem to run longer. All of this is anecdotal & more than likely bs. Also- find some local artists, buy their stuff & put it up on the walls. I find that preferrable to music-themed art or awards. Just my personal taste...

Best- Brad

Don Ciccio

« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2007, 09:06:07 PM »

not only did we have windows.....but we have a great view of the nyc skyline.....at night it was incredible.

compasspnt

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2007, 11:15:15 PM »

Don Ciccio wrote on Mon, 17 September 2007 21:06

not only did we have windows.....but we have a great view of the nyc skyline.....at night it was incredible.

That's pretty hard to beat.

Jason Lord

« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2007, 11:29:32 PM »

I really enjoy a comfortable and ergonomic setup. Wood is always nice and the typical studio dark colors.  I always felt lighting was important for mood, had separate lines for dimmers so that nothing got into the audio electrical.

Here are a couple of shots from my old place.  I had a "nightime  look" for listening after hours.  it's was pretty sweet.  not pictured though.

Cheers,
Jason Lord

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large amount of coal was mined & burned to make the electrons used.

J.J. Blair

« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2007, 10:11:25 PM »

bradwood wrote on Mon, 17 September 2007 13:41

Windows windows windows! Let me see the outside world.

I feel ya:

http://homepage.mac.com/jjblair/.Pictures/Photo%20Album%20Pictures/2004-05-04%2010.26.23%20-0700/drumroom1.jpghttp://homepage.mac.com/jjblair/.Pictures/Photo%20Album%20Pictures/2004-05-04%2010.26.23%20-0700/vocbooth1.jpg
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

PookyNMR

« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2007, 02:08:15 AM »

How high are your ceilings in your drum room, JJ?

Nathan Rousu

J.J. Blair

« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2007, 09:24:27 PM »

Not very.  It's a small room.  Depending on where you are and the pitch is, probably 8 to 9 ft.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

PookyNMR

« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2007, 10:17:43 PM »

Yet you get very nice drum sounds.  Kind blows the 'need tall ceilings for drums' theory.

Do you have treatment on the ceiling?  Do you ever experience difficulies with reflections from the ceiling?

Currently we have 11'6", but are looking at possibly moving to a location with lower ceilings.

Nathan Rousu

compasspnt

« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2007, 10:14:31 AM »

Good drums and a good player are much more desireable than high ceilings.

George_

« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2007, 10:19:03 AM »

Fletcher wrote on Mon, 03 September 2007 16:04

My recording space is a 45'x 43' foot warehouse with 16' ceilings and whatever Mercenary crap happens to be taking up shelf and floor space... we have "B-3 land" where the B-3 and Leslie [122] live... we have "amp land" where all the guitar and bass amps live... we have a rug with the studio drum kit always set up but other than that it's a warehouse.

There are some cool signs on the wall from manufacturers and the sign from a legendary Boston nightclub called "Bunnratty's" and all kinds of shit hanging from the ceiling from Fairchild 670 faceplates to an SSL center section keyboard and monitor... dead DBX-160VU [very raped for parts] and a "blowup doll" suspended by a hangman's noose with her hands tied behind her back, mouth taped shut and various stencils and stickers on her.

The piano room has 2 desks in it [as it's also an active office] the walls are painted "bordello red" with gloss black trim around the blacked out windows and the doors... there are full mic and cue line facilities in that room.

The control room [which we'll have pictures of in the coming months] has no windows and the doors in the front of the room [the doors are from the CARS old studio "Syncro Sound"]... first thing you see when you walk in is the back of the console with all it's various wires hanging out but very neatly dressed.

In the front of the room the walls are all blue cloth with wood trim that actaully cover the front of the monitor cabinets [UREI 813's] with the cross over and drivers exposed.  The top of the meter bridge and patchbay extension have the nearfield monitors my "Ancestral Protection Voodoo Doll" a variety of shakers [including a "skull egg"] and a couple of "Beanie Baby" stuffed animals [a Shark and an Armadillo] along with the talkback mic [a Russian Ribbon mic that was stolen from the Politbureau and actually has "CCCP" stamped on it].

The left wall has the outboard racks [3x 16 RU road cases] with a mural/picture that my daughter did when she was 15... it's a woman's face with purple eyeshadow and flowing red hair that comes off the canvas and extends onto the walls.

Behind that is the bathroom which has a "Punisher" toilet seat and "Metal stars" trading cards taped to the wall... skull toilet brush holder and skull lamp with a black light in it... over the sink the lights are red and blue.

On the other wall is another mural my daughter did which features an androgynous figure with green shorts, sweater vest and a red tie talking eating muffins with a skull figure with little face images in it's coiled snake like spine... the skull has a goatee and hot rod flame eyes and tooth decay... they are drinking tea under a tree that has little light brown human like figures... the mural symbolizes "the innocent artist being recruited by the evil music industry to become part of the tree of lost souls" [pretty deep for a 15 yr. old!!].

In the back of the room is a Leopard "fainting couch" on a Cheetah rug with a kidney shaped table that has books about "Von Dutch" and "Big Daddy Roth" and a lamp on either side of the couch [on dimmers so you can read if you'd like] that have white leopard lamp shades].  There is a black box with a skull in it that holds our favorite fruit... chocolate covered espresso beans.

All in all... it's quite a "vibey" joint.

Peace.

don't forget the motorbike parts laying around..

Very Happy  Very Happy
"BORN A ROCKER, DIE A ROCKER"

George Necola

George_

« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2007, 10:20:15 AM »

compasspnt wrote on Sun, 23 September 2007 16:14

Good drums and a good player are much more desireable than high ceilings.

you should write a book terry. Cool good one.
"BORN A ROCKER, DIE A ROCKER"

George Necola

J.J. Blair

« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2007, 01:33:14 PM »

Nathan, the room was designed by an excellent studio architect, which helped.  More important than the ceiling, IMO, are the wall soffits which remove the parallel angles, and the 2' thick rigid insulation on the bottom half of two of the walls.  The ceilings are angled, so as to avoid standing waves, and in the two spots where it did feel a little bit standing, I did treat the ceiling with some brand of foam tile.

Personally, I think you can get amazing drum sounds with small dead rooms.  Terry hit the nail on the head, as usual.  Bigger rooms or mics in the hallway just change the perspective.
studio info

Don Ciccio

« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2007, 03:28:54 PM »

i'll see if i can dig up some old pics of the studio.....i think i really had a cool vibe.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 20 queries.