R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: your studio's atmosphere  (Read 12535 times)

Bryson

Re: your studio's atmosphere
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2007, 08:00:23 AM »

Jim Williams wrote on Wed, 05 September 2007 07:14

My place has that Polynesian look and feel. Besides the studio, there's the dozen 30 foot queen palms in the back with a few sago palms, banana trees, citrus and of course the pool and spa. A large stone Tiki god rules the entire area.

Once someone gets into the pool and spa it's hard sometimes to get them back to work.

Then again, this is San Diego county, it's hard to get anyone to work around here especially if the surf's up.

You left Matilija for that?

Jim Williams

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2007, 01:31:51 PM »

Bryson wrote on Thu, 06 September 2007 05:00

Jim Williams wrote on Wed, 05 September 2007 07:14

My place has that Polynesian look and feel. Besides the studio, there's the dozen 30 foot queen palms in the back with a few sago palms, banana trees, citrus and of course the pool and spa. A large stone Tiki god rules the entire area.

Once someone gets into the pool and spa it's hard sometimes to get them back to work.

Then again, this is San Diego county, it's hard to get anyone to work around here especially if the surf's up.

You left Matilija for that?

It was tough leaving behind the gangs, crime, graffiti, buzzing helicopters, surly cops, english challenged store owners, gun shots at night, break-ins, Hollywood people, cockroach restaurants, and the nightly din of the city that required earplugs for a good rest. And that was the good part!
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

J.J. Blair

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2007, 08:53:13 PM »

trock wrote on Tue, 04 September 2007 11:09

JJ i was checking out your site and pics of the studio, thats a really nice setup.

Thanks, Tim.  Here's a new pic from last week:

http://homepage.mac.com/jjblair/.Pictures/Photo%20Album%20Pictures/2004-05-04%2010.26.23%20-0700/fffroomweb.jpg
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Fletcher

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2007, 07:29:15 AM »

We often have a slightly different atmosphere...

Nitrogen N2 76.084 %

Oxygen O2 20.9476 %

Argon Ar 0.934 %

Carbon Dioxide CO2 0.0314 %

Neon Ne 0.001818 %

Methane CH4 2.0002 % [Mexican joint up the street!!]

Helium He 0.000524 %

Krypton Kr 0.000114 %

Hydrogen H2 0.00005 %

Xenon Xe 0.0000087 %
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Bryson

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2007, 08:09:14 AM »

Fletcher wrote on Sat, 08 September 2007 04:29

We often have a slightly different atmosphere...

Your gases may vary

Kendrix

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2007, 08:18:13 AM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Sat, 08 September 2007 01:53

trock wrote on Tue, 04 September 2007 11:09

JJ i was checking out your site and pics of the studio, thats a really nice setup.

Thanks, Tim.  Here's a new pic from last week:

http://homepage.mac.com/jjblair/.Pictures/Photo%20Album%20Pictures/2004-05-04%2010.26.23%20-0700/fffroomweb.jpg

Nice control room.
I love that old honey-stained knotty pine paneling.
FWIW- I've  been told its virtually impossible to procure these days- at least in my neck of the woods.

I notice that those monitors are squeezed tightly between the soffets and the desk.  
No issues with that configuration??
Ken Favata

Nobtwiddler

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2007, 04:36:27 PM »

This usually keeps them happy at the end of the day......index.php/fa/6139/0/

Nobtwiddler

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2007, 04:39:21 PM »

Over 300 beer selections in stock at all times.
I do run a rather tight ship and only open the bar after the days work is done,
Or should I say after I"M DONE~!
Haha

Hey is it 4:30 yet?index.php/fa/6140/0/

J.J. Blair

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2007, 08:54:43 PM »

Kendrix wrote on Sat, 08 September 2007 05:18

I notice that those monitors are squeezed tightly between the soffets and the desk.  
No issues with that configuration??

No.  They are on stands, and there is more room than there appears from that angle.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

wwittman

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2007, 02:31:20 AM »

oh, you mean the bookshelves. I thought you meant the actual MONITORS.

are those super reds?

William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

Barish

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2007, 05:39:34 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Mon, 03 September 2007 22:37

http://members.aol.com/compasspnt/movie.html

Rather than a smaller sized one, I'd love to have a higher resolution version of this video actually. Would that be possible, Terry?

What a great atmosphere I can see in there.

M.
M Ozturk

compasspnt

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2007, 08:40:24 PM »

I'll dig it out and see what the highest res is that I can make from the original.

trock

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2007, 10:08:39 PM »

yeah, thats really nice JJ, i like the walls also. and of course the racks and racks of great gear.

i can't tell from the pic but is your G5 in a cabinet?? wondering about air flow if it is? and do you do that for sound purposes if you are recording somoneone in the control room?

thanks for posting

J.J. Blair

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2007, 11:31:56 PM »

Aaah.  Another one of my projects.  I laid a shelf for the computer to sit on, built an oak frame, laid plexiglass in it, weather sealed it, and put some latches on.  The backside is a pressboard door with weatherstripping, and two fans built in.  One is a large draw fan that has a wetdry hose attached to it that goes into the A/C, and pulls cool air in.  Then there's a pucsh fan to get the hot air out.  I also made a fan on the top of the rack to pull air straight out, but it's been noisy, so I disconnected it.  The MacPro runs way cooler than my G4 anyway, so I don't need it to run.  The hole is good enough.

The lack of fan noise is a godsend.  Now if only my EMT fans were less noisy.  Forget recording in the room.  It's listening I'm concerned about.

William, those are JBL S7Rs.  They belonged to my father.  He got them in like 1970 or something, to use in our living room.  A pair of these drive the bullet and midrange driver:

http://homepage.mac.com/jjblair/.Pictures/Photo%20Album%20Pictures/2004-05-04%2010.26.23%20-0700/Image-048F5EA19DEF11D8.jpg

But honestly, I never use them.  The Genelecs sound so good in that space.
studio info

J.J. Blair

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2007, 11:50:53 PM »

Kendrix wrote on Sat, 08 September 2007 05:18

I love that old honey-stained knotty pine paneling.

I forgot to tell you about that.  Those were on the walls of the room originally.  the house was built in the '20s.  I was careful removing them when we demo'd the room.  Some of them were 18 ft. long.  Forget finding knotty pine T&G.  Try finding ANYTHING in 18 ft. lengths!
studio info

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.