R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: suitable mic for "ogre-like" voice (tom waits,joe cocker... )  (Read 8817 times)

carne_de_res

i have to track a vocalist that has a deep,rugged
tone a-la Tom Waits.
which mics have you found to work in this situation?
thank you in advance.

gaetano dimita,
udine,italy
"will record for food"

seriousfun

Re: suitable mic for "ogre-like" voice (tom waits,joe cocker... )
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2004, 05:18:44 PM »

Leonard Cohen has a similar voice. His most recent album 10 New Songs was reportedly tracked as a demo, first thing in the morning, after smoking a few cigarrettes, into an SM-57.

This really depends on the effect you are trying to achieve. An EV RE-20 (no proximity effect) or Shure SM-7 might be contenders. Many deep-voiced voiceover artists use Neumann broadcasters mics and the Manley mic.
doug osborne | my day job

carne_de_res

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2004, 09:03:32 PM »

Many deep-voiced voiceover artists use Neumann broadcasters mics and the Manley mic.[/quote]

could you tell me which models are you talking about?
as for the style,the guy is really "melodic"...think Ray Charles singing Unchain My Heart and you're close...
"will record for food"

Ross Hogarth

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2004, 10:28:26 PM »

First try a Shure Sm -7 and see if does the job and it might be too unflattering ... a very workhorse mic but not expensive sounding ....
make sure though that the singer is basically eating the mic ...
then still on the cheap side try a RE 20 but I do not think this is going to knock your dick in the dirt ...
Now for the tube mics I would recommend a good 47 and then a 67 ...
but again remember if you want the low end hump you are going to need the singer in on the mic for the proximity and both the tube Neumann's will give you that ...just remember tho that when a singer gets close he better have some technique or else you better have your hand on the output fader before the compressor.

The practice of forgiveness is our most important contribution to the healing of the world.

The standard of success in life isn't the things. It isn't the money or the stuff. It is absolutely the amount of joy that you feel.

www.hoaxproductions.com

meverylame

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2004, 03:09:30 AM »

I never have seen too much of a point in making something rough sound audiophile. Try the sm7 or re-20. I've even had great success with the blue mouse in situations very similar to this.

Aww, fuck it. You'll know the mic when you hear it.
Cheers!
Jason Kingsland

http://www.jasonruinsrecords.com

ratite

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2004, 04:51:19 AM »

In the Wilco documentary you can see Jeff Tweedy eating an SM-7 and also a Blue Mouse!I don't know that he has a heavy style but,it seems,you get tremendous intimacy with this way of working.They even took off the foam from the sm-7 so I was thrown for a moment.....
Richard Horner
Unaffiliated knob twiddler.

"Nietzsche played the piano endlessly in his eleven years of madness.Once,at least,with his elbows."

Fletcher

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2004, 09:40:41 AM »

I do, and have done, a pretty good Tom Waits impersonation... last time I did it we used an E-47 into Pendulum MDP-1A that was kinda overdriven... it seemed to work pretty well.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Throatsinger

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2004, 07:31:32 PM »

This is of great interest to me as well. I can  sing extremely low (below 40 hz) but simultaneously with quite high harmonics and often rapidly alternating with other singing styles, some high and some low, some both together.  Looking forward to any opinions and techniques.

I've been using an NTK, which seems best in my limited collection. I've also tried an old GT, model 1 methinks, which worked about as well.

Thanks,

seriousfun

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2004, 03:28:13 PM »

carne_de_res wrote on Wed, 28 April 2004 18:03

Many deep-voiced voiceover artists use Neumann broadcasters mics and the Manley mic.

could you tell me which models are you talking about?
as for the style,the guy is really "melodic"...think Ray Charles singing Unchain My Heart and you're close...[/quote]

Neumann BCM 104 http://www.neumann.com/infopool/mics/produkte.php?ProdID=bcm 104. No, Hitler didn't use this one.

Manley Refernce Mics http://www.manleylabs.com/promain99.html#mics

Mr. Charles, then and now, would use one of the classic U87/251/whatever...
doug osborne | my day job
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 21 queries.