R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: KSM 27 vs AT 4040  (Read 2954 times)

tterral

KSM 27 vs AT 4040
« on: April 28, 2004, 02:05:28 PM »

Any comments as to how these two mics compare, in terms of vocals and acoustic instruments, as well as for live use (bluegrass/folk)? For that matter how do these compare to the AT 4033? This would not be my main mic, Main mics are U195, C42 MC012.

Tim T

John Ivan

Re: KSM 27 vs AT 4040
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2004, 09:14:51 PM »

Hi:

I can't help with a comparison but, I'm a fan of the AT 40** stuff in general. The 4033 is a bit brighter than the 4040 {or it's brighter in a different spot}. I really like the 4050 mic and find it to be very useful in a bunch of different apps. I know this isn't much help but I thought I'd give my 2 cents. I've heard good things about the Sure KSM stuff, and I like the SM 81's. It seems that It's hard to buy a Sure product that you wont find some use for. My 57's get used all the time for stuff I never would have dreamed of.{even with my very limited number of pre's}

If you can, Find a vender that will let you take some to the studio to try them out. And don't be afraid of some of those china mic's.
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

gtoledo3

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2004, 12:50:19 AM »

I think you would be pleasantly surprised with the KSM 27. It is a good all purpose mic, and especially suited for the applications you speak of. To my ears, the ksm27 is generally pleasant sounding.

As far as using it for live stuff, I know that Bela Fleck had a shitload of them, and also some ksm'32's, when I saw him a few months back, and the sound was phenomenal. I have noticed quite a few bands using them lately.

The 4040 is no slouch either, in that general price range.

zimv20

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2004, 02:00:00 AM »

i don't have a lot of mics, but my ksm32 gets the most use. i find it's always, at a minimum, useable on a source, often it's better. my go-to vocal mic.

it can even sound good through a mackie.

a friend i record w/ likes his AT 40?0 (i think 4040) and he always brings them, but i find them maybe just a bit hyped toward the high end, and the ksm smoother through that range.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 20 queries.