R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Microphones: Workhorses vs. One-trick Ponies  (Read 16604 times)

hargerst

Microphones: Workhorses vs. One-trick Ponies
« on: April 28, 2004, 09:51:45 AM »

That's how I usually divide up microphones in my studio.  A lot of people do it that way too.  It makes life a lot simpler when it comes to choosing a particular mic for a specific task. Here's how it works:

Most of the "workhorse" mics either have a strong specific coloration (a "signature"), or they are very neutral sounding. They become standards in the studio because they work well for a particular task (e.g., a 57 on snare or electric guitar), or they are fairly neutral, without big peaks (Schoeps, B&K, or ribbons on strings and horns).

The "one-trick pony" mics generally have less uses, but when they work for something, they may work better than anything else you have.  These are usually the "try this; maybe it'll work" mics, but they can sometimes surprise you in some applications.  I had an AKG C3000 (which is known for its screechy top end), but on one singer I recorded, it sounded perfect - better than anything else I had.  After we finished that project, I sold the mic, since it wasn't worth it to me to keep it around just for that one singer.

So, let's talk about workhorses and one-trick ponies. I'll start a separate thread for each, and we'll see how different mics fit into these two different categories.  We'll talk about using specific mics and what applications they've worked well in. Some of the choices and applications may be surprising.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

wireline

Re: Microphones: Workhorses vs. One-trick Ponies
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2004, 10:18:19 AM »

In my little bitty shop, we don't have the luxury of one trick ponies...EVERYTHING has to serve many purposes, or it is not a cost effective tool...

That said - we've been reserving using an RE16 for almost all lead vocals these days...of course, the 10" speaker mic is pretty much a one trick device for kiks...

This is not to say that if the budget permitted, we wouldn't have a couple of high end one trick devices....but hey - dems cost money which we doesn't got quite yet... Sad
Ken Morgan
Wireline Studio, Midland, TX
Authorized Sales Agent, WWW.Soundpure.Com

hargerst

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2004, 10:33:11 AM »

wireline wrote on Wed, 28 April 2004 09:18

In my little bitty shop, we don't have the luxury of one trick ponies...EVERYTHING has to serve many purposes, or it is not a cost effective tool...

That said - we've been reserving using an RE16 for almost all lead vocals these days...of course, the 10" speaker mic is pretty much a one trick device for kicks...

This is not to say that if the budget permitted, we wouldn't have a couple of high end one trick devices....but hey - dems cost money which we doesn't got quite yet... Sad

There are some pretty cheap one-trick ponies out there, and sometimes a workhorse just won't do the job.  For example, small omnis are really accurate, and if the slightly higher self-noise isn't a problem, they can beat out almost any other mic when you want a faithful reproduction of the sound.  But most studios seem to ignore them.

wireline

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2004, 10:44:33 AM »

got a specific example of a small omni, Harvey?  I found a Shure boundary (391?) few months back, but haven't really tried it on anything...
Ken Morgan
Wireline Studio, Midland, TX
Authorized Sales Agent, WWW.Soundpure.Com

hargerst

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2004, 11:13:24 AM »

wireline wrote on Wed, 28 April 2004 09:44

got a specific example of a small omni, Harvey?  I found a Shure boundary (391?) few months back, but haven't really tried it on anything...

Okay, the Behringer ECM8000 1/4" omni calibration mic at $35 brand new. Pretty much ruler flat. I've used them on acoustic guitar, upright bass, violins, tambourines, congas, as drum overheads and on cowbells with excellent results. Others for a bit more money include the Audix TR-40, and the T.H.E. KP-6M.

josh

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2004, 11:24:17 AM »

hargerst wrote on Wed, 28 April 2004 16:13

wireline wrote on Wed, 28 April 2004 09:44

Okay, the Behringer ECM8000 1/4" omni calibration mic at $35 brand new. Pretty much ruler flat. I've used them on acoustic guitar, upright bass, violins, tambourines, congas, as drum overheads and on cowbells with excellent results. Others for a bit more money include the Audix TR-40, and the T.H.E. KP-6M.

I have used ECM8000 a lot lately on electric guitar cab, it rocks.  Drum kit.  Snare drum, kick drum.  Rocks.  Of course acoustic guitar, percussion, all the other stuff Harvey mentions.  Falls flat on vocals but other than that, there's nothing that it won't do at least a passable job on, and for some things, it's great.  Don't leave out stereo recordings, where it really REALLY shines.

See ya-

nobby

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2004, 01:15:11 PM »

I guess this is kind of obvious, but an AKG D112 for kick. I don't even use it for bass cab; I'll use an MD421 for that.

Another one trick pony are sennheiser e604's which I only use for rack toms and snare. 421 for floor tom. They say you can use them for horns; being a clip on it would be handy especially for live, but if I wanted to record a horn I'd probably reach for the RE20 or a 421.

Which brings us to workhorses.

Dynamics: Shure SM57, Sennheise MD421, EV RE20
      What can't you use these for in a pinch?

Small diaphram condensers: A pair of Shure SM81's are all I have inthis category (home project studio) and really all I need for overgeads and acoustic instruments

LDC's: A pair of AKG C3000 - I wouldn't use them for vox, but they work decently as drum room mics aimed over the kit at the wall behind the drums. Use them through a warm pre, and other possibilities open up. I have a pair of GT AM51's and a pair of GT AM62's. LDC's in general are versatile.
"Rock 'n' Roll, if it were a movie, would be Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom."

~ Slipperman

RIP Steve "Loudist" Gursky

sstillwell

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2004, 01:36:55 PM »

Heh,

SD condensers?  I started a thread on that just a few days ago...and for about an eighth of what you paid for the SM81s, you could get a pair of MXL 603S...gorgeous.  Overheads, acoustic guitar, orchestral stuff...they're wonderful.  The SM81s are great if you want absolutely flat on a budget (compared to DPA, Schoeps, et. al.), but the MXLs SOUND good (translation: slightly colored with a nice high-end rise great for distance miking).  My $0.02 worth.

I like the e604s for toms...especially for live stuff.  The RE20 works great on sax, or on kick.  I'm still KICKing myself for getting rid of mine.  I'm an idiot.

The E609s is great for a relatively inexpensive guitar mic...lays flat against the grille.  You can just drape the cable over the top and call it good.  It's a little bright for live use, but fits pretty decent into a mix

MD421 works a treat on the bottom of a Leslie cabinet.

EV DS-35 (kind of like an RE-16 without the Variable-D) works great on anything that's too effin' loud.  They've got very low output for a dynamic, so you don't have to worry about padding on channels.  I've used 'em on guitar cabs with great results, and on the top rotors of Leslies.

And it's not recording (unless you're doing live recording, which is about all I've been doing recently), but I LOVE the Audix OM-5 for live vocals.  It works for an amazingly broad range of singers.

Scott Stillwell

plughead

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2004, 02:15:54 PM »

Now this is what I was looking for in the other "absolutely best buy mic" thread!

Workhorse mics: 421, 57, 451/414, and even ribbons like an SF-1/R-121/Coles 4038 - all of these see very regular use..

"sleeper" Workhorse mics: E-100's - some laugh, but I often use these for kik/snare, and sometimes prefer it to a 57 (on snare) - also for smokin gtr. cabs - they can take the juice, and provide solid sound - these mics have a dropoff above 10 or 12 k (I can't remember accurately), and don't fall into the typical "bright" category. FWIW, I heard an opera concert recorded with a stereo pr. of E-100's and it sounded remarkably good - not in the league of B&K/Neumann/Schoeps, but damn respectable IMO - Not to mention you can use them as a hammer should you need to pound some nails...

Another "sleeper" IME is the Shure KSM44: this mic has failed to disappoint me in a variety of applications, and rarely is "wrong" when I pull it out: a very good sounding condenser, at any price...

Not going to mention any one trick ponies, mostly due to not experimenting enough with some mics to fairly evaluate whether they suck bad enough to call a "one trick pony"

Great thread!
N. Jay Burr
PlugHead Productions

josh

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2004, 03:12:43 PM »

I was really surprised recently at how killer my SP B1 mic sounded on kick drum, and how tremendously wonderful an Oktava MK-219 sounded on snare drum (not to mention it is compact enough to squeeze in near the rim).  Those are definitely workhorse mics, since I use them primarily for vocal mics but they really can cook as instrument mics.  The B1 rocks for electric guitar cabs too.

Kooch

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2004, 04:04:24 PM »

Dynamics: 57s, 421s
SD Condensers: C451s, KSM32
LD Condensers: LomoM1, fet47

All my favorite horses.
-------
The Kooch
Rock and Roll Scholar and Gentleman

meverylame

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2004, 03:15:04 AM »

I've used my baby bottle on about everything. Kick, bass, vox, guitar(both electric and acoustic). It's definately a workhorse, and given in those situations a lot of those situations, I would have rather had something else, but it managed to cut the gig.
Cheers!
Jason Kingsland

http://www.jasonruinsrecords.com

nobby

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2004, 04:43:28 AM »

sstillwell wrote on Wed, 28 April 2004 13:36

Heh,

SD condensers?  I started a thread on that just a few days ago...and for about an eighth of what you paid for the SM81s, you could get a pair of MXL 603S...gorgeous.  Overheads, acoustic guitar, orchestral stuff...they're wonderful.  The SM81s are great if you want absolutely flat on a budget (compared to DPA, Schoeps, et. al.), but the MXLs SOUND good (translation: slightly colored with a nice high-end rise great for distance miking).  My $0.02 worth.

They weren't available when I got the SM81's. Sometimes you can't wait around for something to be invented. Does the 603s have a -10dB pad and 2 position rolloff? These things can come in handy. Marshall stuff used to have a bad rep for QC issues also, although I don't know if the reputation was deserved. Finally, the SM81's only cost 4x as much Very Happy
"Rock 'n' Roll, if it were a movie, would be Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom."

~ Slipperman

RIP Steve "Loudist" Gursky

John Ivan

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2004, 09:44:05 AM »

I have a pair of Peavey's small Omnis. They sound quite good. My Mic closet needs work but. I have really focused on techniqe. I have some old silver EV=660's that are really good on some guitar cabs and some tom tom's.  And I still pull out the old PZM's for some stuff. I am looking at a bunch of mics this year. I mean 8 or 10 of them. I need to be carefull$$$.
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Vertigo

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2004, 09:54:49 AM »

I'm checking out the MXL 603S - LOVE the price tag. However, it seems you can only purchase the MXL 603S along with an MXL 2001 LDC (still only $155 for both). I know I can use the 603S, but what would the 2001 be good for?

-Lance
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 18 queries.