R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't get Quicktime 7 to work on my PC  (Read 3528 times)

Keyplayer

Can't get Quicktime 7 to work on my PC
« on: August 26, 2007, 10:53:15 AM »

Okay, I admit it. Things have been so slow of late that I'm forced to consider applying for a gig with a commercial facitily ( see: http://www.nuendo.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=15288 ). If that were to happen, I KNOW I'm going to have to work with Pro Tools. I'm a serious advocate of Nuendo. That's the platform around which my studio is based. The only experiences I've had with Pro Tools was working in other studios, wishing they had Nuendo. So to prepare for the possibilty of having to go job hunting, I picked up one of those interactive DVD's that teaches basic PT use.

When I popped it into my PC, I got no sound. So I called product support and they told me that I needed a newer version of QT to make it play properly. Okay. So I upgraded from 6.1 Pro to 7.2 free. Now I had sound. But it was all garbled and stuttering. So I called apple. They weren't very helpful, making it very clear that since I was a PC owner using their product, I hadn't made the neccessary commitment, by owning a mac, to be genuinely helped. I was told to un-install and re-install QT ("No! Ya think?").

One other site suggested that I needed to update the drivers in Direct X to resolve the issue. So I did. No change. If I didn't hate Pro Tools before, I certainly would by now. After 2 ridiculous days trying to resolve this issue, I gave up and re-installed 6.1 Pro which works flawlessly. But now I'm forced to watch the training DVD on the upstairs office PC (?!!?). This is nuts.

Oh yeah, I also purchased the N2 training DVD just to see if I could pick up any other tips I might not be aware of. IT PLAYED PERFECTLY!

Anybody here have any suggestions on how I can get QT 7.2 to work on my STUDIO PC?

PaulyD

Re: Can't get Quicktime 7 to work on my PC
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 06:48:21 PM »

What version of Windows? If it's XP, is it fully updated?

I take it you have a fairly powerful machine, with plenty of RAM, plenty of free hard drive space, a good GPU and all that?

Paul

Arf! Mastering

Re: Can't get Quicktime 7 to work on my PC
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 01:11:45 PM »

QT7 for PC switched to needing Direct Show or something like that and Direct Show is incompatible with many sound card drivers.  If you update your sound card drivers to be compatible with direct show, other things stop working like MME 24-bit.  Best to back to QT6.  Check with your soundcard maker.
“A working class hero is something to be,
Keep you doped with religion and sex and T.V.”
John Lennon

"Large signals can actually be counterproductive.  If I scream at you over the phone, you don’t hear me better. If I shine a bright light in your eyes, you don’t see better.”
Dr. C.T. Rubin, biomechanical engineer
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 16 queries.