Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Caulk  (Read 2329 times)

don kerce

Caulk
« on: August 19, 2007, 06:39:27 pm »

Hi all, I'm venturing into unknown territory for me. Gonna build an iso booth off the side of my studio in what was the garage. Insulation, dual layers of drywall, etc. After I get the stud wall put up and also after the first layer of drywall, I'm probably gonna wanna caulk anything that looks like it could let sound thru. Is there a preferred type that is readily available at Home Depot or Lowes?
Thanks!

d

crna59

Re: Caulk
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 01:54:45 am »

Most drywall specialty places with have "Acoustical Caulk". Don't go to Lowe's/Home Depot... you'll pay a fortune.
I got the big 29oz tubes for about 3.75 a piece. I used 27 cases in my build. I think the brand name is "Grabber" and it comes in a gray tube that says "Acoustical Caulk".

O'kay... just found the website. It goes for 4.77 a tube on the website, but if you can find it locally, it would save you a few bucks.

Grabber Acoustical Sealant

Regards,
Bruce
Puget Sound Studios
Bruce A. Brown
Mastering & Post Production
Seattle, WA

It is easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission! Buy! Buy buy....  

franman

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 10:38:46 pm »

In our experience, acoustical caulk is just a label that you pay a premium for. You want non-hardening silicon caulk by any name or brand. You will use a lot!! Get big tubes and a big caulk gun or two!! Have fun.
Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

rankus

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 09:23:11 pm »

LOL this has always been my thought on Accoustical Caulk too.   Snake oil IMO  .... I use the cheapest damned stuff I can find that does not harden as Fran suggests.

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

maarvold

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 01:06:02 pm »

Any comments on this stuff?

http://www.greengluecompany.com/

It 'looks good on paper'.  Or is it just exploiting the advantages of constrained layer damping and attaching a product name to it?
Michael Aarvold
Audio Engineer

gullfo

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 01:40:41 pm »

re: greenglue - i know the folks over at studiotips forum have vigorously debated this product and that Bryon (CEO) has spent a good deal of money on proper testing and comparisons so its likely a product that is very good at constrained layer damping versus simply smearing caulk or MLV in between drywall layers.
Glenn Stanton

www.runnel.com/

martindale

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 09:37:45 pm »

We were paid to evaluate Greenglue. We mocked up several wall sections using various materials and layering configurations; i.e., with GreenGlue (GG) and without. We're not a laboratory but we took care with our methods.

...it all depends on your needs and criteria. GG is about as effective (broadly speaking) as an additional layer of drywall in most multi-layered wall configurations...but it cost a lot more. But...if weight or space is a consideration, as it sometimes is in commercial situations....GG could be a good product to use.
Pages: [1]   Go Up